Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 01:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If you got to know Virginia locals, you’d hear a big southern influence in their accent

I used to live in Virginia and I agree - in fact, Virginia is my very favorite state. I go there pretty often - in fact, I just spent a vacation there a few months ago (again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 05:42 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If you got to know Virginia locals, you’d hear a big southern influence in their accent
Using that logic, Miami is not in the South

Old 02-03-2022, 06:22 PM

9,889 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Using that logic, Miami is not in the South
Except that (as I mentioned above) I don’t restrict the south to based on accent. If the state is geographically in the American south, it’s a southern state. Like Texas, Florida and Virginia. I mentioned the accent because most of the physical areas of Virginia definitely has a southern twang.

That being said, the problem with this is that Miami is extremely extremely international. More than Houston. A foreigner or even first generation American are less likely to catch local accent. Whether it’s an Arab in Houston, an Ethiopian in Dallas, or a Protuguese in Miami. Miami is the most international city in the states by percentage. And a huge portion of the domestic population are transplants.

When you go to speak with long generation locals, the southern accents in Miami start to show.

https://youtu.be/teEbNuDfo9w

Old 02-03-2022, 06:23 PM

9,889 posts, read 6,589,672 times
And as usual, only in the south do people pick differences to try to stay out of the line.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:38 PM

223 posts, read 141,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Texas doesn't need the the South. It's been a republic, still has a republic/independent attitude, and has the Lone Star as a symbol. We don't need the South. It might need us, but not the other way around. Abandon the nonsense.
This right here.
Some people in Texas identify themselves as Southerners.....there are others like me that don't identify with the South at all.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Almost all native Texans speak with some type of Southern accent if they've never lived in another part of the country. I've been to Ft. Worth on short visits. The locals in Ft. Worth don't sound much different from locals in Dallas. If you haven't heard a southern accent in Ft. Worth, what accent have you heard them speak?
What accent have I heard people from Ft Worth speak????

Flat, boring, monotone...no different than someone from Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska. If you get someone from a more rural area they might have a real "Texan" twangy accent.

People from Dallas or Forth Worth sound NOTHING like people from East Texas. People from East Texas tend to have a very distinct Southern accent.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:53 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
This right here.
Some people in Texas identify themselves as Southerners.....there are others like me that don't identify with the South at all.
As long as people use that term to describe the region that was the confederacy ... I'll call myself a Texan but not a Southerner.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
As long as people use that term to describe the region that was the confederacy ... I'll call myself a Texan but not a Southerner.
I'm 100% a Texan....that's it.

I've repeated this story a bunch, but in the Summer of 2001 I was working in Macon, GA and Atlanta....and the Deep South was a total culture shock to me.

One of the coolest things about the South was the whole waving at cars bit. I had never seen that before. People would just wave at a total stranger as they drove by. The dude in the car would usually honk, or mutual smiles would be exchanged.

I tried that in Dallas and people would look at me like I was crazy. I think that is very much a function of Dallas having garages in the back of homes...and thus it makes Dallas not the friendliest city.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Let them exclude us- Why would we want to be included in the states, with lowest literacy, poorest health, highest obesity,poorest education and Civil War losers. At least the University of Texas is decent and while not up to Cal-Berkeley or Michigan standards, its not Alabama or Miss.
Duke and Vanderbilt are better schools than UT. Silly comment. Also news flash. Texas lost the civil war too.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
We can start by eliminating the idea that “The South” is the areas that were pro-slavery
I see no reason for Virginia to be included in what we call today “The South”

Gets worse when you talk about whether or not West Virginia is part of the South
Since West Virginia refused to join the confederacy and broke away from Virginia.

At the same time, it’s ridiculous to say that West Virginia is in the north and Virginia is in the south
When it’s completely obvious that one is on the west side of the other one.
West Virginia and Maryland were very close to being Confederate states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas