Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 10:08 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,876,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Many might be but how do you explain Collin County’s voting patterns?

I’m a transplanted Californian that voted about half and half in California. I almost always voted Republican in city and state elections but Democrat in national ones. In Texas, I vote for Democrats 99% of the time. It’s just different.
What is the percentage of transplants in Collin from California? Perhaps the greatest percentage of any one state is California but when weighed against all other states it is only a small percentage?

Point is you can't extrapolate that Californians moving to Texas is the reason that the county is less red than before. You can look at numbers that prove it isn't as monolithically white as it once was, Californians or no Californians.

Your example is but one. Thus anecdotal. My experience of the Californians I know that have transplanted here are almost all of the example I list. But I met most of them thru my church. So my sample is not a full example as evangelical Christians are by and large conservative voters, and thus an anecdotal observation as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 11:36 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,274,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
What is the percentage of transplants in Collin from California? Perhaps the greatest percentage of any one state is California but when weighed against all other states it is only a small percentage?

Point is you can't extrapolate that Californians moving to Texas is the reason that the county is less red than before. You can look at numbers that prove it isn't as monolithically white as it once was, Californians or no Californians.

Your example is but one. Thus anecdotal. My experience of the Californians I know that have transplanted here are almost all of the example I list. But I met most of them thru my church. So my sample is not a full example as evangelical Christians are by and large conservative voters, and thus an anecdotal observation as well.
I think you make some good points.

I think a bigger shift in the way Collin County votes has more to do with the changing demographics of Collin County as well as the younger voters (home grown and transplant) tend to be more liberal. Add to that that Collin County is suburban instead of rural now and if you look at the voting trends of the suburbs nation wide they have largely shifted to the center and are trending center left.

I think the folks moving to Texas from California are a mixed bag, some are liberal, some are Conservative. People seem to forget that California has more registered Republicans than Texas does. There are Millions on millions of conservative Californians.

I think the voting patterns might indicate that the California Transplants to Texas (as well as other western states like my home State of Idaho) are more on the conservative side relative to the general population of California. I don't think they are the reason Texas is purpling, though they make a convenient scapegoat.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:08 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,231,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think the folks moving to Texas from California are a mixed bag, some are liberal, some are Conservative. People seem to forget that California has more registered Republicans than Texas does. There are Millions on millions of conservative Californians.
There may be millions of conservative Californians, but they're no longer voting for Republicans. Republican candidates were wiped out across California. And there's no reason Californians would vote for Republicans after relocating to Texas. They're repelled by Trump on the national level and a lot of Texas state-wide officials are total clowns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.952e9a3ca9e9

Quote:
Kristin Olsen, the vice chair of the California Republican Party, announced the death of the political grouping to which she has belonged her entire adult life.

“The California Republican Party isn’t salvageable at this time,” she wrote in a guest column. “The Grand Old Party is dead — partly because it has failed to separate itself from today’s toxic, national brand of Republican politics."

Tuesday brought ample evidence of her point, as Rep. Jeff Denham became the latest California Republican to fall victim to the blue wave that may not have swept the nation but certainly crested in California, the nation’s most populous state.

“While the rest of the nation saw a mix of Republican and Democrat victories, we in California experienced a blue tsunami,” Olsen wrote. “It looks as if Democrats will win nearly every target seat, including some in districts that have been historically considered ‘safe’ for Republicans.”

Old 11-23-2018, 02:06 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,876,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think you make some good points.

I think a bigger shift in the way Collin County votes has more to do with the changing demographics of Collin County as well as the younger voters (home grown and transplant) tend to be more liberal. Add to that that Collin County is suburban instead of rural now and if you look at the voting trends of the suburbs nation wide they have largely shifted to the center and are trending center left.

I think the voting patterns might indicate that the California Transplants to Texas (as well as other western states like my home State of Idaho) are more on the conservative side relative to the general population of California. I don't think they are the reason Texas is purpling, though they make a convenient scapegoat.
Well, gotta rep more people before I can rep again. You said what I wanted to say but with more excellence.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:31 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,018,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Many might be but how do you explain Collin County’s voting patterns?

I’m a transplanted Californian that voted about half and half in California. I almost always voted Republican in city and state elections but Democrat in national ones. In Texas, I vote for Democrats 99% of the time. It’s just different.
Why did you move to a Republican state if you are just going to turn it into the same sort of place you left?

Old 11-23-2018, 03:41 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 5 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,539,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Why did you move to a Republican state if you are just going to turn it into the same sort of place you left?
Do you honestly think politics is the reason most people move to different states?

I wasnt fleeing California. I was offered a job and I took it. A nice bonus was being able to buy a house with a nice sized yard. If I was offered a similar sized step to up move elsewhere, Id go and still vote the same.

This isnt some conspiracy to try and turn Texas or any other state in any direction. People just feel no need to change their voting patterns when they leave. I certainly didnt.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
The same reason that I would continue to vote libertarian, republican and democrat (in that order generally) if I moved to NYC for work. Why would anyone change their deeply held beliefs because they changed states? "Why are you trying to turn NYC into a bunch of hillbillies?" -The NYC version of you.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
There may be millions of conservative Californians, but they're no longer voting for Republicans. Republican candidates were wiped out across California. And there's no reason Californians would vote for Republicans after relocating to Texas. They're repelled by Trump on the national level and a lot of Texas state-wide officials are total clowns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.952e9a3ca9e9
Millions of Californians still vote republican, though yeah, a sizable minority didn't vote or switched parties in the midterm.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:36 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,469,995 times
Quote:

So true. That's why a lot of Texas residents are unhappy with the California influence.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 5 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,539,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
So true. That's why a lot of Texas residents are unhappy with the California influence.
Cry me a river...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas