Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:58 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,232,128 times

Advertisements

Quite frankly, the whole Texas vs California rivalry is entirely one sided. People in California do not care.

Sure, some people in California believe dumb stereotypes, but I've met plenty of Texans who also believe dumb stereotypes as well. Right now, I see people in Texas reinforcing these dumb stereotypes about Texas and it makes me cringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 AM

716 posts, read 535,228 times
lower crime rate? what a crock - cops in so calif don't even have the time to respond to non violet crime like home and car thefts, car accidents and i can go on and on

in my former city they won't respond to disturbing the peace, car thefts or property crimes unless you tell them the asholes are still there

try going to east LA or south central for dinner - yea right or even football games a USC - not to the hell holes out in perris or the high desert

plus you got the goody to shoe sheriffs that won't issue CC permits - in LA county it take 2 years plus even if you get one

Old 11-19-2018, 11:03 AM

8,206 posts, read 5,360,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
lower crime rate? what a crock - cops in so calif don't even have the time to respond to non violet crime like home and car thefts, car accidents and i can go on and on

in my former city they won't respond to disturbing the peace, car thefts or property crimes unless you tell them the asholes are still there

try going to east LA or south central for dinner - yea right or even football games a USC - not to the hell holes out in perris or the high desert

plus you got the goody to shoe sheriffs that won't issue CC permits - in LA county it take 2 years plus even if you get one
Ive been to many USC games (my best friend went there) and Ive eaten in East LA many times.

Youre full of it.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:54 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,562,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Quite frankly, the whole Texas vs California rivalry is entirely one sided. People in California do not care.

Sure, some people in California believe dumb stereotypes, but I've met plenty of Texans who also believe dumb stereotypes as well. Right now, I see people in Texas reinforcing these dumb stereotypes about Texas and it makes me cringe.
California doesn't play that rivalry game because there are many people from other states who do not extend a warm welcome to Californians to their state and the Californians know they'd be getting crap thrown at them from all directions, so they choose not to take part in the "silly" rivalry game. Texas is not the only state where the people have issues with newly arrived Califonians. So does Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, and, as if that's not enough, I am hearing many are leaving Califonia for Central Indiana of all places. I'm thinking it must be Carpetbaggers selling their average size house in California for $450,000 and return to their original home state of Indiana and by a nice house on 2 or 3 acres in the country 20 miles outside of Indianapolis for less than $200,000 and still have $250,000 left over to use for other things in life. Read some of the threads in the CD Forums. Newly arrived Californians is a hot topic in many states, not just Texas.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
California doesn't play that rivalry game because there are many people from other states who do not extend a warm welcome to Californians to their state and the Californians know they'd be getting crap thrown at them from all directions, so they choose not to take part in the "silly" rivalry game. Texas is not the only state where the people have issues with newly arrived Califonians. So does Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, and, as if that's not enough, I am hearing many are leaving Califonia for Central Indiana of all places. I'm thinking it must be Carpetbaggers selling their average size house in California for $450,000 and return to their original home state of Indiana and by a nice house on 2 or 3 acres in the country 20 miles outside of Indianapolis for less than $200,000 and still have $250,000 left over to use for other things in life. Read some of the threads in the CD Forums. Newly arrived Californians is a hot topic in many states, not just Texas.
And the whole thing is stupid. Some people just arent aware that its a free county and people can move wherever they want within the country and not change themselves to "fit in".

Besides when I think about how I lived in LA, Dallas, and Houston, Im not doing anything different there than I would be doing here. The only difference is that in LA, I voted about 50/50 for Republicans and Democrats. In Texas, I vote for about 99% Democrats.

Other than that, no difference.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,264,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
And the whole thing is stupid. Some people just arent aware that its a free county and people can move wherever they want within the country and not change themselves to "fit in".

Besides when I think about how I lived in LA, Dallas, and Houston, Im not doing anything different there than I would be doing here. The only difference is that in LA, I voted about 50/50 for Republicans and Democrats. In Texas, I vote for about 99% Democrats.

Other than that, no difference.

Don't have to change yourself to "fit in" if fitting in is not what makes you happy. However, you really shouldn't move somewhere and complain about how it's not just like where you came from (and, worse, try to change it into that rather than appreciating it for what it has to offer) unless you want to be exposed as, well, to use your word, stupid.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Don't have to change yourself to "fit in" if fitting in is not what makes you happy. However, you really shouldn't move somewhere and complain about how it's not just like where you came from (and, worse, try to change it into that rather than appreciating it for what it has to offer) unless you want to be exposed as, well, to use your word, stupid.
Ive never complained about anything other than some of the politicians here. And honestly, Texans complain more about their politicians than transplants.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:26 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,232,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yeah, I'm from Idaho, so I'm more than a little aware of the attitudes (xenophobia?) some people have towards Californians. It isn't all wrong, less than 40% of the State of Idaho are people born in state, so they have lots of transplants and that has changed the state. Percentage of the population wise its a bigger change than has happened here in Texas in the last decade. Californians have had a much bigger impact on places besides Texas.

My point is no other place makes it a point to try to be "Rivals" with California. I'm sure that has alot to do with their population, none of the mountain states have close to the population of California, so people tend to make comparisons along the lines of their relative strengths... But Texans, probably because Texas is almost on the same tier as California economically want to trump up the rivalry. It's kind of similar to Houston trying to be "Rivals" with Chicago.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,186,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Several years ago I went to a welcome dinner some friends of mine threw for a family they knew who moved here from Boston because they couldn’t afford a house there. When I politely asked the wife how they were settling in, she complained that people weren’t as friendly as she was told they’d be and she launched into a litany of complaints including the lack of history and public transit and the fact that you couldn’t walk to anything. After several minutes of patiently listening without pause I finally got fed up and asked her why she moved to Benbrook of all places if those things were so important to her. I didn’t tell her though that the rudeness was on her part not on other people’s part.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:15 AM

716 posts, read 535,228 times
wopopie you went to a game so what - you did not live there you did not have to walk around at night during the week

and most games were day games - you did not live there or work there so you dont know crap about that area - i have for 30 years

its a hell hole and we all know it just like south central, parts of santa ana, east la, pacomia - i can go on and on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas