Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Austin is my favorite big metro in Texas....San Antone is my second but idk if i would ever live there.Dallas and Houston are too big for me.I think a big reason why San Antone isnt favored the most is cuz of lack of good jobs.
I like College Station the best. I am just over an hour from Houston, if I really want the big city. Austin is 2 hours away, and San Antonio and Dallas are 3 hours away.

My girlfriend lives in San Antonio, so I am there quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:12 PM

173 posts, read 290,057 times
I don’t think it’s seen as inferior. It offers different things than the other cities don’t. I personally love San Antonio and prefer this city over Austin, Dallas, and Houston. And this is coming from someone originally from Southern California.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:32 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I like College Station the best. I am just over an hour from Houston, if I really want the big city. Austin is 2 hours away, and San Antonio and Dallas are 3 hours away.

My girlfriend lives in San Antonio, so I am there quite a bit.
I said "big metro".I like SA quite a bit too.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:33 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
I have read that people moving to Texas from out of state move to Houston, Dallas, and Austin, while people moving within the state tend to move to San Antonio.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I've noticed here on city-data people mention Austin, Dallas and Houston as the "big 3" Texas cities and most talk about relocation, recommendations,etc are centered around these cities with San Antonio notably left out.

Is this just a city-data thing? Or do people in the other cities generally see San Antonio as being a level below?

This is an honest question because I have only ever lived in San Antonio so I really wouldn't know.
Yes

Old 11-28-2018, 01:37 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
I think the inferior thing is more a CD and coastal thing. Most people I know consider San Antonio to be the last of the big three, not Austin. A lot of people, mostly millennials I know, consider Austin to be the fun tourist capital in (or near) the middle of the state surrounded by the big three.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:50 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
One thing for sure, Austin's skyline carries more weight and height than San Antonio's, making it appear more "big city", although it's really not. Austin's population is closing the gap though

Old 11-28-2018, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Who cares what is perceived as what? Its all about what you prefer.

Houston and Dallas are more important economically and much more diverse and Austin is more trendy, but San Antonio (and Fort Worth) have much more regional flavor than the others. There is definitely something to that.
This exactly and frankly I much prefer Fort Worth and San Antonio over the others for that very reason.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:57 AM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I think the inferior thing is more a CD and coastal thing. Most people I know consider San Antonio to be the last of the big three, not Austin. A lot of people, mostly millennials I know, consider Austin to be the fun tourist capital in (or near) the middle of the state surrounded by the big three.
^Very much so.
Austin is the capital but culturally defines itself against the rest of Texas in a way that San Antonio never does and never will. Austin is where Texans who don't really like Texas go. San Antonio is where Texans who really adore Texas and want to be in the middle of all of it go.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:18 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I've noticed here on city-data people mention Austin, Dallas and Houston as the "big 3" Texas cities and most talk about relocation, recommendations,etc are centered around these cities with San Antonio notably left out.

Is this just a city-data thing? Or do people in the other cities generally see San Antonio as being a level below?

This is an honest question because I have only ever lived in San Antonio so I really wouldn't know.

Yes, SA is inferior....JK!!!
I personally hate San Antonio, but I am in the vast minority of the people I know, so it's just me, perhaps.

For me, if I have to be in Texas (which apparently I do ), I would only live in Dallas or Austin. SA to me is like my home town Corpus, but on steroids. It's only redeeming quality is its proximity to the wineries in the Hill Country. People ooh and ah over Fredericksburg, so I went there for a weekend and did not meet one local with a full set of teeth or any part of their outfit that had been designed in the last 2 decades. Sorry to be so judgy, but the original question was, in fact, a judgment question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas