Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 08:37 AM

1,108 posts, read 517,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Well, Walmart's quality deficiencies didn't keep it from becoming the #1 grocer in many markets, including DFW (where perhaps not coincidentally HEB was almost nonexistent until now). But where HEB is strong, like San Antonio and Houston, it's been able to effectively compete.
Agreed Walmart may be number one 1 volume but i bet they are close is sales for fruits and veggies. Lots of less fortunate shop there for lower prices and staples that are not the best for diets etc.

There are some things HEB does not sale like our preferred cereal and ethnic frozen foods or fresh fish.
Cereal we get from Target as they carry the brand we like and Traders for ethnic frozen foods.

All in all Walmart does not come close to quality and selections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 10:07 AM

5,582 posts, read 4,853,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Agreed Walmart may be number one 1 volume but i bet they are close is sales for fruits and veggies. Lots of less fortunate shop there for lower prices and staples that are not the best for diets etc.

There are some things HEB does not sale like our preferred cereal and ethnic frozen foods or fresh fish.
Cereal we get from Target as they carry the brand we like and Traders for ethnic frozen foods.

All in all Walmart does not come close to quality and selections.
That may be true, but what I am saying is that it didn't stop them from becoming the biggest grocer in the U.S., and dominant in many markets, including parts of Texas.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:49 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,543,516 times
Quote:
I haven't seen the stats, but I would think Walmart would be a big grocery player in Austin.

That said, it is notable that HEB was able to stop a Walmart grocery takeover in San Antonio - they basically came to a standoff.
The HEB on Congress at Slaughter is caddy-corner from the big WalMart in Southpark Meadows. That WalMart is busy but everytime I go in there the grocery section is not busy. Whereas the HEB is always busy, it seems. My guess is Wal Mart grocery gets the overflow from HEB. That's pretty much the same puporse the Randall's served that was on Wm Cannon and MoPac. It got the overflow from the HEB on Wm Cannon and Brodie. Seems Easter was it's busiest day of the year as HEB was always closed on Easter.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The HEB on Congress at Slaughter is caddy-corner from the big WalMart in Southpark Meadows. That WalMart is busy but everytime I go in there the grocery section is not busy. Whereas the HEB is always busy, it seems. My guess is Wal Mart grocery gets the overflow from HEB. That's pretty much the same puporse the Randall's served that was on Wm Cannon and MoPac. It got the overflow from the HEB on Wm Cannon and Brodie. Seems Easter was it's busiest day of the year as HEB was always closed on Easter.
If anything, HEB seems to be improving customer loyalty over time, which is very impressive - especially since so many folks move here from places where HEB doesn't exist at all.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:35 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,543,516 times
Quote:
If anything, HEB seems to be improving customer loyalty over time, which is very impressive - especially since so many folks move here from places where HEB doesn't exist at all.
You're right. HEB really knows what it's customers want and they have very good customer service. Just about everybody likes HEB. Seems like the only people who don't like HEB are disgruntled employees who no longer work there. I've come across a few of them over the years and they want nothing to do with HEB.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:04 AM

1,952 posts, read 811,847 times
HEB is tons better than the other offerings in Houston.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
HEB is tons better than the other offerings in Houston.
That's a fairly recent development. For awhile, a Signature Kroger was definitely better than a typical HEB. That was before HEB decided to up its game in the 2000s.

I think there may still be a few old "average" HEBs around, probably more in South Texas. They were definitely nothing special.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:44 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,044,992 times
Wow, you guys really got off of topic. Grocery store chains should be the topic, lol

Old 03-22-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Wow, you guys really got off of topic. Grocery store chains should be the topic, lol
Real estate journalists will tell you nothing generates more interest and feedback than grocery store articles!

Or just mention of them, in this case...

Old 03-23-2022, 02:31 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,597,979 times
Quote:
When we lived in Waco we lived in the Woodway area directly between the big HEB and Wal-Mart on Hewitt Drive. Each one was maybe 3 blocks away.

The ambiance and feel of each store was dramatically different. At HEB they hired lots of local HS kids and had good managers and service was just snappy. There was always help around, kids to bag groceries, managers on the floor in each department, etc. People seemed basically happy to work there and seemed to be enjoying it. By contrast the workers at Wal-Mart seemed like they were in slow motion. Few if any local HS kids worked there, I'm not sure why. And good luck getting any kind of service fast.

One day I was shopping at Wal-Mart and had a couple of big bags of popsicles in my cart. They had so few cashiers and the lines were so long that they were half-melted by the time I got to the front of the line. I dumped them all on the counter and said "here, take these back, I don't want them anymore, they are all half melted. The clerk got offended but seriously. Do your jobs faster and put more cashiers in front. They have 40 check stands but only 2 or three operating?

HEB was also without equal when it came to Mexican foods. They made fresh tortillas in-store and were just great when it came to fresh produce and basically everything compared to Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas