Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM

238 posts, read 766,968 times

Advertisements

What you really need to know about me is simply this: I love my boat. I get out in it a few times a month to let off a little steam, to get my juices flowing, to get to any lake that suits me, and I can have a real good time. Yeah, I love to get in "White Lightning" at any lake near you so I can soak in some sunrays, tear up the waters, part the entire lake, and p*** off all the other boaters nearby. The lake is where it's at, baby! Think about it, my fine fellow writers out there. No worries, no problems. This is what I live for, and it's in my boat. Just some good old-fashioned, Texas-soaking, wave-crashing fun on the waters with extreme intense passion! THAT'S WHERE IT'S ALL AT, BABYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
bellestar- Great thread. You should blog, it's almost cathartic.
Me ?;
43 -single
Originaly from -Riverside, California College-BYU Hawaii-Campus
Occupation- retired the past 10 years Avocation- Landlord (mostly
single moms and the elderly)
Currently- Beaumont,Tx Which I don't really like. Why stay? Ithought that I could make a difference.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 AM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
Oops... sorry to re-post but I forgot to ask: How did you all determine your screen names and what is their significance?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Mine was kind of last second. Roses are one of my favorite flowers and when I was a kid and we'd go visit my great grandma in Sinton she gave us each a rose from her garden when we were going back home. It's still a very vivid memory to me, and I've taken to giving my daughter roses from my garden to put in her room because it makes her feel grownup (she's 5).

Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Mine was kind of last second. Roses are one of my favorite flowers and when I was a kid and we'd go visit my great grandma in Sinton she gave us each a rose from her garden when we were going back home. It's still a very vivid memory to me, and I've taken to giving my daughter roses from my garden to put in her room because it makes her feel grownup (she's 5).
My name is James, and I live in Abilene.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default But I'm Not Giving Away My Secret Herbs And Spices

Well, here's a hint regarding the so-chosen username of mine: The case part comes from a shortened version of my first name (I will let you figure it out), and my favorite number is 4, so I decided to have two fours back-to-back because you have to have at least six characters to put together the username for City-Data. Real simple.

And there you are.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
How did you all determine your screen names and what is their significance?
Being 43, I played Dungeon's and Dragon's when I was younger. Through my 20's I was always playing with the idea of writing a fantasy series (like R.A. Salvatore's) and in some research for fantasy names, I came across the name "Rathagos." Well, I've haven't gotten too far in the book, but Rathagos is a key character in it.

I use the name for my character in the MMOs I play (Ultima Online and World of Warcraft which I play SOLELY for my kids!!! )

I also blog with that name on my friend's website reviewing/blogging movies and games. So, in keeping with everyone being familiar with me, I keep it the same. Although, I HAVE seen some others on the internet with that name...

~ Rath

Last edited by Rathagos; 05-09-2008 at 06:29 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM

45 posts, read 149,948 times
Its a combination of my name and my wife's name. Sam and Kendal.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
I'm a Geologist.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Greetings fellow Texans!

Been pretty much out of pocket this last week or so, but caught the new question as to screen monikers! (good one, by the way).

Anyway, mine if fairly cut and dried..sorta reflected by most of the "blurb" under the name itself. To wit, Texan, Southerner! LOL

But to be a bit more specific, I took on that nickname back in 1997, when I first discovered the internet and signed up for the service. I am a 4th generation native Texan, and proud of both that and the associated Southern heritage, and have always been a "Civil War" buff and defender of the Southern side of the War. Plus, I am a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. It just all seemed to fit! LOL

Funny thing is though, that I made it up on the spot! And equally humorous -- or at least I thought so -- is it was originally misunderstood as to what I was saying.

By way of explanation, when I first went in to sign up for internet service, it was back in the days of dial-up and one had to go in and go thru all this rigamorole (I started out with WebFire). Anyway, they asked me what "name" I wanted to use.

Well, I hadn't thought about it but, faster than I can describe it, "TexasReb" came to mind! Soooo, that is what I told the girl who was doing all this. She replied, "ok...let me check and see if anyone else is using it." She then did all this tapping on the keyboard and finally said, "I'm sorry...but TexasRED is already taken...athough...hmmmmm....well you COULD sign up as TexasRED25 (or some number way down the list).

Before I could correct her understanding of what I had said originally, she peered at me a bit closer and said, "besides, if you don't mind me saying so, you are really more of a blond than a redhead! (my hair color is noteably "strawberry" LOL). She was extremely friendly, almost flirtatious.

I had to laugh, and then clarified that it was REB-uh, not RED-duh. She laughed in turn and apologized, then tapped some more and found that one was "free for the taking." So thus it became.

POSTSCRIPT: After all was said and done, and she gave me the floppy disks to go home and start the process, she added something like, smiling, "That is a cute nickname, by the way. I like it. And also? You DO have a nice color hair."

POST-POSTSCRIPT: That was ten years ago. I am 50 now and a slight bit of gray is, no question, starting to take a bit of hold around the temple areas.

POST-POST- POSTSCRIPT: Getchyer minds out of the gutter now. No, we didn't start dating. Alas, she was married. I found THAT out almost immediately as well. It was around noon, and just right before I could turn on all that strawberry-hair, cotton-pickin, cornbread eatin' Texas/Southern charm and suggest that we go have *AHEM* lunch together, a big ol' boy came in, and asked her if she was ready to go have it with HIM. This feller looked like he just got out of Bubba's Bar and had stacked the place.

"This is my husband, by the way, Randy...he's from Tennessee, and I bet he'd like that name you picked" She then told him and described what had taken place.

Sure 'nuff...he thought it great. "Put 'er there, buddy...I'm a Reb myself" He then crushed my hand with a shake, gave me a jocular slap on the back that liked to have knocked me over the damn desk, then arm in arm, they walked out together.

POST-P-P-P script: This story is basically true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas