Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,178,625 times

Advertisements

You're not missing anything. Why eat at Luby's, when like you said, Dallas has an awesome restaurant scene? I met my parents at Meso Maya on McKinney for her birthday last week and I had the worst trouble deciding what to order because there were way too many delicious things on the menu. I highly recommend their blueberry cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 04:33 PM

196 posts, read 180,776 times
Interesting thread, but to answer the OP, no king of the hill is not accurate or atleast not anymore. Texas as a whole has changed a lot since the late 90s/early 00s, lots of transplants and immigrants have moved here so Texas is really not much different from California or New York these days

Old 02-25-2020, 10:54 AM

3,640 posts, read 2,476,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
King of the hill..NO IT'S NOT ACCURATE. KING OF THE HILL SET TEXAS BACK TO THE 50S.
Typical Hollywood. Making Texas seem backward
I understand your skepticism about having outsiders depicting working/lower-middle class Texas.. but I don't think the series made the Hills appear backward (?)
Hank is a loving, responsible dad.. it's a tight knit neighborhood.. and if anything, Khan is the immigrant hostile to gracious hosts (not the other way around).
Even the goofy characters (Bill & Dale) are still likeable & depicted as basically good hearted. I thought King of the Hill was a fair, not demeaning, depiction.. my opinion.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:48 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,798,508 times
KotH is accurate for small town Texas, for sure...

Old 02-25-2020, 12:51 PM

15,242 posts, read 35,454,892 times
The show is not meant to show actual people and how they act. It is brilliant at taking small facets of people, enlarging them, and then focusing on the drivers for those facets. The setting in 'small town Texas' is almost irrelevant other than a backdrop.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:33 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,222,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I understand your skepticism about having outsiders depicting working/lower-middle class Texas.. but I don't think the series made the Hills appear backward (?)
Hank is a loving, responsible dad.. it's a tight knit neighborhood.. and if anything, Khan is the immigrant hostile to gracious hosts (not the other way around).
Even the goofy characters (Bill & Dale) are still likeable & depicted as basically good hearted. I thought King of the Hill was a fair, not demeaning, depiction.. my opinion.
Yeah, Hank is great. He's a good, honest, and mostly reasonable guy.

Compare Hank to other Cartoon Dads who are bumbling fools. Hank shows that you can be a working-class guy without a fancy education and not be forced to be a Homer Simpson. Hank has the best head of anyone in the show in a triumphantly average sort of way. Common sense.

KOTH offers one of the best depictions of working-class people. You laugh with them, more than at them. The characters are treated gently, they don't outright mock them, and they are treated with empathy when you do laugh at them, or more, rather chuckle.

The Characters flaws and exaggerated quarks are funny, just as they would be in real life, but the characters are more than these quarks.

The Texas element is also funny...It gets played for laughs both ways. Sometimes it is funny because of how absurd Texan's love of Texas is, other times the script is flipped....the episode where the guy from Boston visits for example.

Honestly, KOTH is one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, cartoon or not IMHO.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:55 PM
bu2

23,874 posts, read 14,666,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Agree. It wasn't negative at all. And it did feel real.

It sure didn't seem like Richardson or Garland of the 70s. More like a small town of Corsicana's size.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,181,995 times
"Accurate"?

"ACCURATE"?

It's an animated comedy cartoon.

That's like criticizing a Road Runner and Coyote cartoon because it shows the Coyote falling straight down when he runs off a cliff instead of in a parabola. I mean, come on.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:41 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,267,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I have lived in Texas since 2011 and I have not been to Luby's once since being here. I've never had anything against Luby's. There hasn't been an occasion where I thought that Luby's was what I desired most in that moment. Dallas has so many quality restaurants that Luby's just isn't a priority. Maybe I should make Luby's a priority this year.
I grew up enjoying Luby's.Its been quite a few years since ive been to one.Im sad that they are struggling big-time.I always want to go to Luby's when i go to one of the big Texas metros lol.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 AM

716 posts, read 533,695 times
Saturdays you see the riding lawnmowers out all summer including me - i laugh my butt off when i look top and down the street and wave to everyone thinking i am Hank - i just need to add a sun shad to mine as i have to cup holders built in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas