Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:24 PM

94 posts, read 428,390 times

Advertisements

so im watching television, national geographic channel and i run across this show about rattle snakes called serpent encounters. apparantly there is a festival that comes once a year in sweetwater texas that is based on rattle snakes. there is a wiegh in, they skin em and make tons of different things with the skin and they educate people on what to do when you encounter one and much much more activities go on. is this still currently happening on a yearly basis? the time of filming looks to be in the early 90's. seems amusing to me. just curious to see if anyone has ever been to this event and if its just held in sweetwater or is it a state wide thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
It's down the highway from me and I've been wanting to go but my fear of snakes keeps me back. No, it's not a statewide thing -- the promoters say it's the world's largest rattlesnake roundup. I think the Kiwanis or some such charitable group stage the event every year as a fund-raiser.

There are lots and lots of rattlesnakes here in West Texas. Anything they do to control the population is fine by me!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
They have a rattlesnake round up in Taylor, Texas as well. Except at this one, they have games like how many rattlers can you stuff in a bag. They do the same as far as what to do when you encounter one.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:22 PM

by the looks of the shows there seems to be alot of rattle snakes in texas. they got a camera in a pit where they stay and it looked like hundreds of them in there. does the public encounter these snakes often? or are they more populated in vacant open fields?
this money they raise from this event, what do they do with it? you said its a fund-raiser, is that for the town they hold the festival in?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM

160 posts, read 638,266 times
Freer has a round up as well. I have not been to the one in Sweetwater, but I have been to the Freer roundup.

They do not limit it just to rattlesnakes. They stick all kinds of snakes in a pen and have snake handlers wading through the pile that could have anything from a coral snake to a mamba, to a cobra, to rattlers slithering around him.

They have BBQ snake cook off events, generally a musical event, art on display and sale ranging from belt buckles to boots to trinkets.

It is interesting and worth seeing at least once.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:43 PM

do they all usually happen around the same time of the year? i notice the one in sweetwater texas is held in march

Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 PM

160 posts, read 638,266 times
The Freer Roundup is at the end of April, I believe.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
The one in Taylor is in April as well.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
They hold them earlier in the year like that because the temperature isn't as hot. The snakes are heat sensitive and are almost dormant when the weather is cold. So you get the slightly warmer weather where they are moving, and not so warm that they aren't sluggish.

DH has been to the Sweetwater round up and we used to have a deer lease not far from there. In all the years we had that lease I only saw one snake out on the lease. DH and I came across it while riding back to camp one summer.

Oh, wait, not entirely true. The weekend after we got married, another couple and we went camping on the company deer lease. DH and the other guy ran across a rattlesnake and were able to catch it and cut it's head off. By the time they brought it back to camp it was still moving a bit but it was interesting to see up close.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 PM

238 posts, read 766,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todaro3577 View Post
so im watching television, national geographic channel and i run across this show about rattle snakes called serpent encounters. apparantly there is a festival that comes once a year in sweetwater texas that is based on rattle snakes. there is a wiegh in, they skin em and make tons of different things with the skin and they educate people on what to do when you encounter one and much much more activities go on. is this still currently happening on a yearly basis? the time of filming looks to be in the early 90's. seems amusing to me. just curious to see if anyone has ever been to this event and if its just held in sweetwater or is it a state wide thing.

You'll think it's amusing until you actually get near a rattlesnake. You just have to use caution and don't take any chances. Get your first-aid kit with you just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas