Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Have to disagree. People don't move to blue areas to get free stuff, but because they want to live in a place where everyone can have a decent life and they're willing to pay more in taxes to support that. All the good tech jobs that are moving to places like Austin, DC, and NYC? All the rich people living on the coasts and in the big cities? Those folks don't want or need free stuff, but they don't want to be surrounded by poverty and neglect. If they wanted free stuff, they would have stayed in Mississippi or West Virginia so they could wait in line overnight to get free dental work done in an auditorium once a year.

As much as I love Texas, it bugs the hell out of me that we have the highest maternal mortality rate in the developed world (WORLD!) and that we have so many kids who go hungry when school is out of session. I regularly contribute to my school's holiday lunch backpack program, but I'd rather pay more taxes and know that all kids have regular access to nutritious food. If we let them go hungry, they won't be able to learn and we'll create another generation of poverty. How is that cost-effective?
No. People move to blue areas that want to live on boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 11:03 PM

817 posts, read 922,556 times
I am from California and my view is that a Blue Texas would be bad for the country, and therefore for California. However I don't see that happening, even with the "moral victory" of Beto O'Rourke "almost" winning a senate seat away from Ted Cruz.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:13 AM

502 posts, read 391,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I remember going to get those free meals when I was a kid. The food wasn't my favorite but it was free and helped out a lot during the summer.

More money on a SNAP or WIC card would probably be more directly beneficial but the only downside is that I imagine only families that already have a SNAP or WIC card will get it, thus excluding low-income kids in households that aren't eligible for these benefits. ( like mine, in my case because nobody in my household was a US citizen)

Old 12-28-2018, 09:43 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I remember going to get those free meals when I was a kid. The food wasn't my favorite but it was free and helped out a lot during the summer.

More money on a SNAP or WIC card would probably be more directly beneficial but the only downside is that I imagine only families that already have a SNAP or WIC card will get it, thus excluding low-income kids in households that aren't eligible for these benefits. ( like mine, in my case because nobody in my household was a US citizen)
Good point.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:19 AM

977 posts, read 1,057,859 times
As a native Texan, I'm hoping we become a PURPLE state.

A place where we are able to have educated and respectful discussions about opposing viewpoints. A place where we are able to see where the other side is coming are able to come up with a compromise from both sides.

I'll leave the other states to have stubborn and emotional R & L "my way or the highway" stances on politics... I hope Texas is an example on what diversity and togetherness can look like.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post

A place where we are able to have educated and respectful discussions about opposing viewpoints. A place where we are able to see where the other side is coming are able to come up with a compromise from both sides.

I'll leave the other states to have stubborn and emotional R & L "my way or the highway" stances on politics... I hope Texas is an example on what diversity and togetherness can look like.

This right here is what I want for my State. (Likewise native Texan.)

Old 12-28-2018, 02:40 PM

450 posts, read 1,503,562 times
Quote:

Me being the OP of this thread I have read every one of everyone's responses and I have to admit I love the one above...… I can only hope when we do get to move to Texas (Wife was born in Houston but we want to live much further north like Canyon Tx) we are greeted by a Purple State.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:10 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Me being the OP of this thread I have read every one of everyone's responses and I have to admit I love the one above...… I can only hope when we do get to move to Texas (Wife was born in Houston but we want to live much further north like Canyon Tx) we are greeted by a Purple State.
Which will absolutely not happen anytime soon. Not while people everywhere keep parroting this color-coded nonsense.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:42 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:

That was the theme of Beto's whole campaign.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
According to the article, participation is low because kids don't have transportation to get to the schools to pick up the meals, and because of budget cuts causing a reduction in programs that bring kids to schools in summer for other reasons.

Seems to me that's a pretty compelling argument for using some other means, such as SNAP, for getting food to poor kids.
SNAP is operational in Texas already. Of course, people do need to get to a facility of some sort to pick up their free food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas