Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:53 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,652,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Well see what he says. Plano is as diverse as Pearland and much more diverse than anything by 1960. Plano is also not only nicer, but has its own nightlife, restaurants, and the schools are better and still super diverse. Not to mention, 30,000 black people still live in Plano.

I dont see how he loses there.
Pearland is more diverse on paper and has a higher percentage of blacks; black raw numbers and black percentages aren’t the same in this case. He’s moving to benefit his kids, so nightlife isn’t a necessity. For Redlion, even if he wanted nightlife, Plano doesn’t have what he’s looking for. When a black persons says “diversity” on here, we really mean “we want to be around black people because where we are living now has too many whites, and we feel completely outnumbered.” Of course, we don’t want to offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:12 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,333,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Pearland is more diverse on paper and has a higher percentage of blacks; black raw numbers and black percentages aren’t the same in this case. He’s moving to benefit his kids, so nightlife isn’t a necessity. For Redlion, even if he wanted nightlife, Plano doesn’t have what he’s looking for. When a black persons says “diversity” on here, we really mean “we want to be around black people because where we are living now has too many whites, and we feel completely outnumbered.” Of course, we don’t want to offend anyone.
If thats the case, people simply need to stop using diversity as a code word for "black". Diversity actually means a good mix of all kinds of people.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:59 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,827,924 times
It's going to really depend on personal preference, ALL of these cities offer quite a bit for family suburban living where I truly don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,789,586 times
I think each of these cities has mirrored suburbs with perhaps the exception of Austin that fit what I am reading as the priority of the OP. Question: Which Atlanta suburb did you live in and/or what Atlanta suburb would you find the most appealing to mimic in Texas?

Old 12-26-2018, 06:28 PM

163 posts, read 154,338 times
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/perfre...rict.srch.html

Plano ISD
Total Students 54,322
4. % African American 12.0
5. % Hispanic 23.8
6. % White 37.4
7. % American Indian 0.3
8. % Asian 22.8
Seems pretty diverse

Old 12-26-2018, 06:44 PM

Pearland ISD
3. Total Students 21,030
4. % African American 15.8
5. % Hispanic 31.3
6. % White 39.0
7. % American Indian 0.5
8. % Asian 10.5
Equally diverse as Plano

Old 12-26-2018, 06:45 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,796,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Brief description of me and my families situation:
Me and my Wife moved back to Houston from Atlanta,GA back in November of 2017. We were living in Atlanta for 2 years and planned on staying there a bit longer due to our career paths(entertainment and journalism)but we ended up having our first child there so we decided to move back to Houston sooner than expected. A little help from the grandparents and family just makes things easier for first time parents. Right now we're living in The Woodlands(btw I am not a fan of raising a family here) and are thinking long term places to raise our family. I know The Woodlands seems very family friendly on the surface. There's the children's museum, parks, waterway, market street,etc. These things are fine and dandy. But I am tired of living off I-45 and some of the traffic in and around The Woodlands is just horrendous. Also, I know CD is not a cool when people bring this up but it definitely matters but The Woodlands isn't very diverse and we're in search of that when talking about settling down. We are a black family and would prefer a diverse suburb. I know Houston has diverse suburbs but some of their schools aren't the best. I'm very familiar with Houston and it's burbs but now that we're getting older(30's) and have a child, were looking at places that fit a family.

1. Suburban traits we are looking for in each city:
- Great schools
- low crime
- Diversity
- Nice infrastructure ( nicely built communities, streets, etc.)
- A nice selection of dinning and shopping

Now to be honest I can do without nice infrastructure and shopping and dinning options if all the other traits are there but I refuse to settle if the top 3 are in those Suburbs. I've done my research on Houston suburbs and some of their suburbs that seem remotely appealing seems almost like settling. Klein is definitely our top choice so far when it comes to Houston. If you all have some recommendations for Houston, Dallas, Austin or Atlanta I would definitely appreciate all the time, energy and effort you put into your post. THANK YOU!

I would recommend Mansfield, TX. It’s diverse, top notch school district , and a large black population exist in southeastern Tarrant County and Southwestern Dallas County.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 12-26-2018 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 06:48 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,333,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/perfre...rict.srch.html

Plano ISD
Total Students 54,322
4. % African American 12.0
5. % Hispanic 23.8
6. % White 37.4
7. % American Indian 0.3
8. % Asian 22.8
Seems pretty diverse
Here’s the irony: Pearland ISD and Plano ISD’s black and white percentages are extremely similar. The biggest difference is that Pearland ISD is way more Hispanic and Plano ISD is way more Asian.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:25 PM

Mansfield is a great suggestion, very nice area.
Mansfield ISD
Total Students 33,738
4. % African American 27.9
5. % Hispanic 24.8
6. % White 35.2
7. % American Indian 0.4
8. % Asian 6.8

Old 12-26-2018, 09:29 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,560,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Two things:

1) That wouldnt be an issue in a place like Plano. It has more African Americans than Pearland total and has much more of the other things hes looking for. If being around African Americans is paramount, then he should choose a place like Missouri City or DeSoto. That said, Plano and Pearland are both nicer than those overall.

2) He said in his OP that Klein is his top choice in Houston. Klein is 6.4% black which is quite low for a suburb around Houston. Klein ISD is only 14% African American. That would lead me to believe the OP cares less about being around a black plurality and more about the quality of the suburb.

Sounds like he certainly doesnt want to be the only African American around, but that a huge black population is hardly his top requirement. Otherwise he would never have brought up Klein.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Pearland’s percentage is much higher than Plano’s. Pearland is also closer to black culture than Plano is. Klein is closer to 1960 and the black culture of the northside. Pearland’s schools are better than Mo City’s and DeSoto’s. Redlion and I have DMed each other plenty of times about black stuff. I understand what he’s seeking as a black man.
LOL@ the back and forth conversation going on in here. For the record I understand where Southernboy205 is coming from on certain things. When I use to be more active on CD I was younger and wasn't married nor had a child around that time. So areas and things I were into, reflected that of a single 20 something black male. Fast forward into my early to mid 30's with a 1 year old and a Wife and what I look for now has changed. I was completely against Suburban life but now with our incomes and just quality of life in these particular cities I believe it's the best choice to make. If I had my way we would live in the hip vibrant neighborhoods of either one of these cities(except Austin) and enroll our child in one of those "ultra progressive" art schools(which is still a possibility). But neighborhoods surrounding those areas are either to expensive or lower income just waiting to be gentrified.

I'm not looking for a predominately Black Suburb, I'm not opposed to it either but my main concern is safety, education and diversity. So I really mean a mixture of different cultures and ethnicity's. And diversity for me doesn't mean predominately black. (Sorry 205 lol)

It's been somewhat of a challenge to find all 3 of those at least in the state of Texas without some sort of compromise. Pearland definitely is on my list but my Wife is not the biggest fan of living in that area.

But I'll definitely look into both Plano and Pearland. My sister and her family just moved to Carrollton and man has that city changed since I use to go there frequently to visit my friends 10 years ago. The recent visit there and just some of the surrounding burbs had me really warming up to the idea of moving my family to DFW suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I think each of these cities has mirrored suburbs with perhaps the exception of Austin that fit what I am reading as the priority of the OP. Question: Which Atlanta suburb did you live in and/or what Atlanta suburb would you find the most appealing to mimic in Texas?
When me and my wife moved to Atlanta we were living right in the middle of Chamblee/Dunwoody/ Sandy Springs area. Basically the Perimeter. My Wife loves the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area and also Duluth and Decatur had some nice areas we talked about settling in as a family.

There's a school in Atlanta that I really really like called Woodward Academy. There's schools similar to that in Houston such as the Carnegie Vanguard High School. The only problem with that is that's strictly high school. I like the fact that Woodward Academy is pretty much K-12 so you get the same level of education your entire childhood. There's 2 locations in Atlanta. One in College Park and the newer one in John's Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas