Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:51 PM

19 posts, read 22,831 times

Advertisements

Planning to sell out and retire in the next couple years and do as my screenname says.

- Hubby gets his medical care from the VA and needs to be within an hour drive of a VA Hospital.

- We're realizing that though we both love actual seasons, arthritic knees and hips mean cold is no longer our friend. Not sure how we'd do with humidity, no experience to draw from.

- He's an old car nut and is building a nostalgia dragster, so a car community and a fairly local drag strip are biggees.

- We like an involved, active community. I grew up in a smaller town, which is as much a state of mind as a physical characteristic (if that makes sense).

- I like having trees around! No deserts for this gal.

- Our politics are moderate -- Rep on some things, Dem on others, with some Libertarian thoughts thrown in here and there

- I do not do well with tornadoes. I think I could handle living where they occur some miles away. Same on thunder storms, though I could probably adjust to them easier than twisters. We plan to rent a year to see if that's true.

From lurking on these forums, I'm liking Schertz in the SA area, and Huntsville in the Houston area.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, yadda yadda yadda? Be gentle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Deserts meaning chaparral and sagebrush!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,231 times
Boerne north of SA has a really nice car show and a nice community feel. Even if you’re not living there you could easily enjoy that vibe when you visit the car show. There also used to be a nice group at the Bun and Barrell (old drive-in) but I’m not sure about that one as I only heard of it through my father-in-law who has been gone almost 10 years.

I’m thinking SA area for y’all. Not sure how long your husband served but SA is pretty unique on it’s respect for the military. My dad was retired military and now I am lucky enough to live near Camp Bullis around a lot of active and retire military.

SA runs blue and the surrounding areas red but it’s Texas blue not CA blue. Houston is much the same there. I think Houston is a bit bigger and louder liberally but SA is trying to catch up with a former mayor looking for the Democrat nomination next election - unlikely but there’s always Beto...

SA is fairly humid but Houston is FL humid. I’ve lived in both and there’s no denying the difference even a few hours away from the coast where I was in the Woodlands. Houston is greener, pines in the north in fact like the southeast. I experienced some crazy tropical storms there and a minor hurricane I almost drove through on my way to SA ironically. SA gets thunderstorms for sure but on the NC and NW sides of SA the hills seem to break up the tornados. There have been minor ones recently in other areas but nothing major. Both areas flood but SA has flash floods in low areas while Houston is just wetter overall more like Louisiana which was what made Harvey even worse.

I lived and could live in the Houston suburbs again. We are just from SA and, even though we’ll leave the city proper once our kids are out of school, we plan to stay in the area. It’s a bit more scrubby than Houston but I love the Live Oaks and the proximity to the Hill Country. It’s been wetter than usual the last several years so the springs have been quite lovely. The wet fall should help the bluebonnet crop especially if we can get a nice cold snap before March. No matter where you land I hope you get a chance to experience our beautiful wildflowers.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 AM

694 posts, read 834,519 times
Houston has three big drag strips.......There is a drag strip in Baytown, Texas (ROYALPURPLERACEWAY.COM) and one in Sealy (Texas 1/4 Mile Dragstrip | Lonestar Motorsports Park) and one on teh Northeast side, near Lake Houston (http://www.houstonmotorsportspark.com) Thats tough to beat anywhere in Texas.

There is a big VA hospital (Debakey) (https://www.houston.va.gov/ ) on the south side of town.Huntsville has a clinic, but not a hospital, so you have to figure which you will be using.

I would look on the East Side of Houston, as far south as Clear Lake (less trees, more water/beachy) , as far north as Huffman or Kingwood, maybe even Cleveland. (more trees, less beachy) . Since you have no kids....and schools arent a big deal, consider Baytown.

Where ever you go....look into whether the area flooded.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,264,797 times
San Antonio and Houston meet all your criteria except the thunderstorms. You won't avoid that. Thunderstorms aren't bad unless you are stuck driving in a heavy storm or you live in a low lying area. In some parts of the Houston area you would be concerned about hurricanes, but not so much in Huntsville.

Deserts are in West Texas. Not Houston or San Antonio so no worries there.

I live near Houston, but I grew up in a small town, so I understand the small town state of mind. Huntsville, at least to me, is a pleasant town with a growing university. I investigated moving there myself a few years ago. It's close enough to the Woodlands if you have a problem that needs big city amenities to resolve. But it still 'feels' like a small town. And most importantly, it has 2 strong economic drivers that won't go away.

I would also say to look into Brenham Tx. That's another place I would consider moving. It's kind of a weekend getaway, too because of the bluebonnets in the spring, a few B&Bs, and the Ice Cream factory.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:58 AM

You guys are fantastic!

Hubby was injured and discharged after 15 months in the USAF almost 40 years ago, eventually got a 40% rating. The hour-ish from a VA hospital is simply the most amount of time we want to spend traveling to appts that can't be handled at a local clinic.

Don't even get me started on California's version of Blue. Ultra- or extreme- anything is dangerous and destructive, and we've got it in spades out here.

T-storms are going to be a part of anyplace other than the Pacific Northwest. Lightning, eh. Big ol' loud thunder claps? That's what I don't like, and neither does our Maine Coon mix cat.

Looks like there's a vacation to the Lone Star state in our near future.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFromCalif View Post
Planning to sell out and retire in the next couple years and do as my screenname says.

- Hubby gets his medical care from the VA and needs to be within an hour drive of a VA Hospital.

- We're realizing that though we both love actual seasons, arthritic knees and hips mean cold is no longer our friend. Not sure how we'd do with humidity, no experience to draw from.

- He's an old car nut and is building a nostalgia dragster, so a car community and a fairly local drag strip are biggees.

- We like an involved, active community. I grew up in a smaller town, which is as much a state of mind as a physical characteristic (if that makes sense).

- I like having trees around! No deserts for this gal.

- Our politics are moderate -- Rep on some things, Dem on others, with some Libertarian thoughts thrown in here and there

- I do not do well with tornadoes. I think I could handle living where they occur some miles away. Same on thunder storms, though I could probably adjust to them easier than twisters. We plan to rent a year to see if that's true.

From lurking on these forums, I'm liking Schertz in the SA area, and Huntsville in the Houston area.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, yadda yadda yadda? Be gentle!
the only Texas desert is a whole long way away from SA/Houston.It should not worry you in San Antone and Houston.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,594 times
I love Houston. I live not too far from Houston, and I go there all the time. But, truth be told - traffic is a nightmare.

I have a girlfriend who lives in San Antonio. I cannot move because of my job and my son. But, I am there every other weekend. And, the city is really growing on me. If I was forced to pick one or the other to live in, I think I'd pick San Antonio.

It's actually surprising, as I previously never thought I would like San Antonio that much. But, the city is really growing on me.

I would suggest that you visit both - but you need to visit each city MORE than 1 time to get a good feel for each

Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,408,739 times
I will say, one thing SA has substantially less of than Houston are thunderstorms. Houston averages nearly 20 inches more of rain than SA annually and commonly gets strong summer thunderstorms off of the gulf. SA's thunderstorms usually come in along with cold fronts, or tropical systems during the summer months, and usually have less lightning than those I have experienced in Houston.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Excellent feedback!

First step was to identify the general area that ticks the boxes, which is looking like SA. Next is to identify several areas/towns within that area that are appealing on the surface. After that is to actually go "boots on the ground" to see what they each feel like. After that, follow the news to see what goes on in daily life, community groups, etc. It's absolutely a multi-stage process.

On the list so far: Schertz, Boerne, and Bandera
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas