Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times

Advertisements

This something I saw on another metro's thread and it ended up being a well discussed thread. I made some slight changes to fit Houston better.
Posted by Geo-Aggie- "we often debate where the "best" place to live is. The problem here is that everyone thinks their town is the best (I know I do) and often comparing two completely different but equally great suburbs is impossible, so.. I broke it down into 12 categories. Also, I know they all say "city" but that can mean anything. It can be the city, a suburb, a village, a charter township, CDP.. whatever.., just have some fun Okay, copy/paste/go:
Best city(excluding Houston) for young singles:
Best city for young families:
Best city for older families:
Best city for retirees:
Most improved city since 2000:
Most improvable, promising city going forward:
Most desirable "Affordable" city:
Most Down-to-Earth "high-income" city:
Best inner-ring suburb:
Best outer-ring suburb:
Best exurb:
Best "business district" excluding Downtown Houston:

Notes/Rules:
This is purely subjective, I'm sure it'll create some disagreements, but understand that another's opinion is not wrong, it's just different from your own, so try to respect that.
Let's make a rule that you can't use the same city twice. I know that otherwise there are certain posters (myself included) who would list their home town 4 times, (as I just tried to do, before adding this note)
Let's call an "affordable" city a place where a family of 4 can reasonably own a house earning only 40k, assuming responsible budgeting.
Let's call a "high-income" city a place where a typical family of 4 within the city earns over 100k.
Let's define an "inner-ring" suburb as any Houston neighborhood between the Beltway and 610, as well as independent cities throughout the city, or was an established part of the metro before the year 1970.
And an "outer-ring" suburb is generally a commuter suburb that grew up in the 90s, and on.
And "exurbs" are places beyond what we typically think of the metro, but are still heavily influenced by Houston and would likely not exist without the city's economic anchor. Their growth years are still yet to come or happened as far back as 2015 (Conroe and Fulshear count).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._neighborhoods

When I say Houston neighborhoods for the inner-suburb/outer suburb category I specifically mean this map. Also you can consider Spring Branch one neighborhood if you want to.

Also for any category: include Kingwood, Clear Lake and Lake Houston neighborhoods most people consider these three areas completely Suburban as the actual suburbs of Houston.

Can this be moved into the Houston forum.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-16-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:16 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Best city(excluding Houston) for young singles: Bellaire

Best city for young families: Jersey Village

Best city for older families: Katy Area

Best city for retirees: Seabrook

Most improved city since 2000: Houston

Most improvable, promising city going forward: The Woodlands

Most desirable "Affordable" city: Pasadena

Most Down-to-Earth "high-income" city: Fulshear

Best inner-ring suburb: West University Place

Best outer-ring suburb: Katy Area

Best exurb: Fulshear

Best "business district" excluding Downtown Houston: Memorial

Old 01-05-2020, 10:53 AM

10 posts, read 4,196 times
Here is what I know from living and working in Houston area over 40 years:

Best city(excluding Houston) for young singles: Cypress

Best city for young families: West University Place or Clear Lake

Best city for older families: Katy

Best city for retirees: Highlands

Most improved city since 2000: Pearland

Most improvable, promising city going forward: The Woodlands

Most desirable "Affordable" city: Pasadena

Most Down-to-Earth "high-income" city: Friendswood

Best inner-ring suburb: West University Place

Best outer-ring suburb: Katy Area

Best exurb: Fulshear

Best "business district" excluding Downtown Houston: Memorial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas