Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,176,070 times

Advertisements

Galveston isn't known for having a great beach. You can't claim that all of the Texas beaches suck if you've only been to Galveston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 08:49 PM

691 posts, read 823,796 times
The millions of people who enjoy Texas beaches each year seem pleased enough.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 PM

364 posts, read 612,311 times
Millions of people also go to Rio de Janeiro beaches that are filled with trash, diapers and raw sewage. They don't have any other choices, much like Texans.

Compared to the entire California coast, Texas beaches are a joke. Sorry, just a fact. I have lived at and spent a lot of time at both. There is simply no comparison.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 PM

691 posts, read 823,796 times
The OP said people don't swim at Texas beaches. That is clearly wrong.

This isn't about who has the best beaches......its not a contest. A great many people go to and enjoy Texas beaches.
They generally aren't concerned if there are better options elsewhere. They just enjoy the beach.

The joke would be missing out on a good time at a Texas beach, because there was a better beach somewhere where you are not.. I've been to both Rio and Califonia....I have had great times in both......and also on Texas beaches.

Last edited by SugLandDAd; 02-05-2019 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 10:35 PM

169 posts, read 158,142 times
You sound like as soon as you move to Texas your going to find a job immediately. That’s not how things work here. Houses aren’t that cheap in Houston either, I would also suggest you do more research on property taxes before you get a heart attack

Old 02-05-2019, 11:04 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,043,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Millions of people also go to Rio de Janeiro beaches that are filled with trash, diapers and raw sewage. They don't have any other choices, much like Texans.

Compared to the entire California coast, Texas beaches are a joke. Sorry, just a fact. I have lived at and spent a lot of time at both. There is simply no comparison.

Wow, you been on CD for almost 12 years. Are you happy with anything in DFW? If not California sounds like the place where you would be happiest. If you can't go back to C. then, just from what we have heard from you, Texas just can't satisfy you, take less and reconsider California as you best choice. Just saying?

Old 02-06-2019, 09:31 AM

364 posts, read 612,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Wow, you been on CD for almost 12 years. Are you happy with anything in DFW? If not California sounds like the place where you would be happiest. If you can't go back to C. then, just from what we have heard from you, Texas just can't satisfy you, take less and reconsider California as you best choice. Just saying?

It's not about me. It's about people on these boards asking advice. As someone who has lived extensively in both places, I feel equipped to answer their questions, especially concerning weather Cal vs TX. Many from the central valley are lulled into a false sense of "heat is heat", sell their house in Cal, leave their job and move to Texas thinking it's going to be the same as the heat they are use to in Cal. MANY people who grew up in Cal and have never lived in Texas have absolutely no idea just how different the weather is here. I have met countless people who have moved to Texas only to be shocked at how different it is here weather wise.

On another thread someone told a family to move to Houston from Cal and said they only got 40"s of rain per year...which of course in complete BS. I just feel obligated to let people in Cal know that Texas is very very very different then Texas as it relates to weather etc.

Now to answer your question on DFW. I have found DFW to be HANDS DOWN the best place to live in Texas as someone who grew up in Cal. The weather here still sucks...big time. But compared to the humidity of east and southeast Texas, at least the winters do cool off up here. Also DFW is much more progressive them other parts of the state. Having said that, we will be leaving this state in 1 year when our last child is done with HS. For all the reasons I have listed on other threads, such as weather and the horrific property taxes, we simply can not afford to stay in Texas and own our home (because of property taxes, ours are $9200/year on a $325k house lol) on a fixed budget.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM

8,196 posts, read 5,328,911 times
Quote:

On another thread someone told a family to move to Houston from Cal and said they only got 40"s of rain per year...which of course in complete BS. I just feel obligated to let people in Cal know that Texas is very very very different then Texas as it relates to weather etc.

On said thread you were providing exaggerated garbage to try and make a point that didnt exist. Houston gets 49-50 inches of rain a year on AVERAGE. You said it got 70 inches and used the last three years to justify your point. Thats bogus because we had Harvey in 2017 which gave us record rainfall totals and threw those numbers off. You also said Houston was ruby red conservative which is of course completely false. All you have to do is hit "Houston voting results" into a google search to figure that out. Your response was that "Kingwood and the Woodlands are the only places worth living in Houston and they are conservative". That is so ridiculously stupid.

Im a godless liberal from California who loves living here. Why? Because I didnt expect Texas to be like California. There are parts of it like Collin County that have cultural similarities to Orange County and the IE, but of course its more humid, its not as pretty, and LA is more world class than the Texas cities. Its a recipe for unhappiness if you move to a new place expecting it to be like the place you lived.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:58 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,203,619 times
Quote:
2. Austin is still very humid and freaking expensive. I'm talking California expensive. It's this little liberal hold out in a sea of ruby ass, MAGA hat wearing red. Good luck there.
All of the major Texas cities are now blue. Even Fort Worth. And Texas is not all that red. Trump only won the state by nine points - much closer than in the southern states (AL, MS, etc.).

Old 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM

45 posts, read 31,355 times
I don't get it when people complain about Galveston. No it's not Florida. But it's still A BEACH. You still get The BEACH experience. Houston and Galveston get alot of flack here on CD, I've noticed.

But that's because they love and hate it at the same time. Like the old saying goes... if they don't hate you then you are doing something wrong. Or they don't care at all... something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas