U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:00 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,270,062 times

Advertisements

Was it early voting?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:41 PM

4,644 posts, read 5,471,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't believe that legitimate voters are being "suppressed" on a regular basis. I do, however, believe that people who shouldn't be voting are voting in the fine state of Texas.
I think you have it backwards. The amount of deliberate voter fraud is minuscule. Study after study has confirmed this. There is some unintentional fraud--wrong precinct type stuff. But even it is minor.

But voter suppression... it is deliberate, and it's never ending. How about this: the Secretary of State officially apologized today for the (and this is a direct quote) "inaccuracy of his list".

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...r-13616764.php

Quote:
Nearly three weeks after he sent out a report suggesting that 58,000 non-U.S. citizens may have voted illegally in past Texas elections — a report that was quickly proven to have significant flaws in it — embattled Secretary of State David Whitley is apologizing to the Legislature.

In a letter to all members of the Texas House and Senate, Whitley said the list of potential non-citizen voters should have been reviewed more carefully before being sent to county elections officials across the state. The list was based on an analysis of the voter rolls and driver license data from the Department of Public Safety.

Since the list went out in late January, it has been found to include tens of thousands of names of people who are indeed U.S. citizens. Additionally, the effort sparked intense criticism from county elections officials and lawsuits from civil rights advocacy groups who say the voter purge list was calculated to dissuade immigrants from voting.

“Before announcing the number of people who may not be eligible to vote, more time should have been devoted to additional communication with the counties and DPS to further eliminate anyone from our original list who is, in fact, eligible to vote,” Whitley said in the letter sent on Wednesday evening.
He knew exactly what he was doing. It's malicious, and should be enough to get him removed from office. He has one effing job, and he screwed up.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:37 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,841,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Was it early voting?
Early voting one doesn't have to vote in their precinct, rather an early voting location. It's not "illegal" to vote outside one's precinct during early voting. And on the actual voting day, if someone's name doesn't show up on the precinct's list then they are allowed to cast a provisional ballot.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:17 AM
Status: "We're all broken, that's how the light gets in." (set 28 days ago)

56,107 posts, read 44,473,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Early voting one doesn't have to vote in their precinct, rather an early voting location. It's not "illegal" to vote outside one's precinct during early voting. And on the actual voting day, if someone's name doesn't show up on the precinct's list then they are allowed to cast a provisional ballot.
A registered voter must go to an early voting location IN THE COUNTY WHERE THEY ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE.

And if a person doesn't have one of the seven acceptable forms of ID, which are:

Texas Driver License issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
Texas Personal Identification Card issued by DPS
Texas Handgun License issued by DPS
United States Military Identification Card containing the person’s photograph
United States Citizenship Certificate containing the person’s photograph
United States Passport (book or card)

Then they must do this:
Quote:
Here is a list of supporting forms of ID that can be presented if the voter does not possess an acceptable form of photo identification, and cannot reasonably obtain one:

copy or original of a government document that shows the voter’s name and an address, including the voter’s voter registration certificate;
copy of or original current utility bill;
copy of or original bank statement;
copy of or original government check;
copy of or original paycheck; or
copy of or original of (a) a certified domestic (from a U.S. state or territory) birth certificate or (b) a document confirming birth admissible in a court of law which establishes the voter’s identity (which may include a foreign birth document).
After presenting a supporting form of ID, the voter must execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration.
Here is information on "provisional ballots:"
http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...s.aspx#partial
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u....65.htm#65.054

I stated this earlier:
Quote:
I watched this happen right in front of me in the voting booth a few months ago. A couple of people in line ahead of me were not registered to vote in our county, but they were trying to vote. They kept pushing even though their names were not on the register. The addresses they gave were not in this county! They just showed up and tried to vote. What the heck?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
That's why I was asking.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
That's why I was asking.
Look into two things - a provisional ballot and what that means in Texas, and the affidavit required to be signed if a person doesn't have the required ID.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:20 PM

I know about all of those things.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:45 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,841,419 times
Quote:
A registered voter must go to an early voting location IN THE COUNTY WHERE THEY ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE.

And if a person doesn't have one of the seven acceptable forms of ID, which are:

Texas Driver License issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
Texas Personal Identification Card issued by DPS
Texas Handgun License issued by DPS
United States Military Identification Card containing the person’s photograph
United States Citizenship Certificate containing the person’s photograph
United States Passport (book or card)

Then they must do this:

Here is information on "provisional ballots:"
http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...s.aspx#partial
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u....65.htm#65.054

I stated this earlier:
Yes? Hello? And my kid was purged. Despite always having lived in Dallas County and having perfect ID. But we were speaking of it being "illegal" to vote outside of one's precinct. Ridiculous. County is not precinct. Early voting can take place in many places in one's county.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Yes? Hello? And my kid was purged. Despite always having lived in Dallas County and having perfect ID. But we were speaking of it being "illegal" to vote outside of one's precinct. Ridiculous. County is not precinct. Early voting can take place in many places in one's county.
When I relayed my story regarding people trying to vote, I specified that they did not live in the COUNTY in which they were trying to vote. When I said it is illegal for someone to vote outside their precinct, I wasn't discussing early voting, to clarify - I was discussing regular voting. Early voting requires someone live in that county - regular voting requires that people vote in their precinct.

Just wanted to clarify that. Your daughter was able to vote, right?

Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 11,059,130 times
Quote:
It's not right for ANYONE to vote illegally either. We have some of both extremes, apparently.

We need a streamlined system apparently.
Excuse me, but it's been shown again and again that, statistically, voter fraud (such as people voting illegally) is close to non-existent, but voter suppression (whether via intimidation, gerrymandering, roll-purging) is rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas