U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 01:43 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,879,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I relayed my story regarding people trying to vote, I specified that they did not live in the COUNTY in which they were trying to vote. When I said it is illegal for someone to vote outside their precinct, I wasn't discussing early voting, to clarify - I was discussing regular voting. Early voting requires someone live in that county - regular voting requires that people vote in their precinct.

Just wanted to clarify that. Your daughter was able to vote, right?
Yes. After a huge fight. That's what is ridiculous. She's a 6th generation Texan. How many young people would have fought like that? The kid was purged. She started voting when she was 18 and suddenly found herself off of the rolls for the last state election. Gone. Not put on the "suspense" list. Disappeared. Blank. Didn't exist. You cannot tell me there isn't something fishy going on there. She fought to get back to "suspense" and then back on the rolls. Bringing the subject back to the post about checking one's status on that site a poster mentioned, she never would have known her status if she hadn't. Since Texas requires IDs rather than voting cards now, many don't look for those cards in the mail anymore. They are useless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 AM

56,648 posts, read 44,928,179 times
So your daughter was accidentally dropped from a voters list, and she resubmitted her documentation proving that she was legally able to vote, and she voted.

When I moved from one county to another, I had to resubmit something or other as well. So I did so. And then I voted.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:49 AM

7,533 posts, read 8,767,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes. After a huge fight. That's what is ridiculous. She's a 6th generation Texan. How many young people would have fought like that? The kid was purged. She started voting when she was 18 and suddenly found herself off of the rolls for the last state election. Gone. Not put on the "suspense" list. Disappeared. Blank. Didn't exist. You cannot tell me there isn't something fishy going on there.
I get your point, but few Texans will choose to understand your experience or perspective. This is what happens when you “mess with Texas.” It is the least self-critical state I ever lived in. No sense in arguing with those who drank the koolaid.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Excuse me, but it's been shown again and again that, statistically, voter fraud (such as people voting illegally) is close to non-existent, but voter suppression (whether via intimidation, gerrymandering, roll-purging) is rampant.
I really wish that people would supply links to support their assertions.

Like this:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/4-...497239441.html
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/p...220540115.html
https://www.politifact.com/texas/sta...ctions-and-gu/
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...es/voter-fraud
https://www.realclearinvestigations...._combined.html
https://www.investors.com/politics/e...erm-elections/
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...register-vote/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8525846.html
https://www.apnews.com/603bb76f69079a9269e46335638d3e1e
https://www.statesman.com/news/20181...illegal-voting

Quote:
Successfully prosecuted election fraud offenses by the Office of the Attorney General since 2004

The number of prosecuted election violations in 2018 alone, with 35 counts pending prosecution

The number of currently active election fraud investigations
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...tion-integrity

Many more but frankly I am bored with this.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:13 AM

32,687 posts, read 51,353,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Is there a way to check the list? I'm concerned that my husband is on it even though he didn't break any laws. He was here legally for more than a decade before he got citizenship and registered to vote. During most of the time he was here he had a driver's license.
I think you are smart to consider his name could be on there for no good reason

Texas really is one of the dark holes of good government on the state level...

Old 02-17-2019, 08:15 AM

32,687 posts, read 51,353,947 times
But the idea of going through old voter rolls and makes a knee-jerk decision about who is a legitimate voter and who is not fails the smell-test for accuracy...

Picking one of those links at random—the UK/Beto story
the Beto campaign denies being the source of the messaging being investigated
It is certainly possible when you read stories about GOP strategies to get their opponents in trouble by doing illegal actions in the opponent’s name that this could have been a similar ploy
Just because someone wants to paint Beto’s campaign as the malefactor doesn’t mean it actually WAS doing an illegal action...
Again—
Just like the AG’s efforts to impugn people as being illegal voters w/o proper vetting...

Old 02-17-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But the idea of going through old voter rolls and makes a knee-jerk decision about who is a legitimate voter and who is not fails the smell-test for accuracy...

Picking one of those links at random—the UK/Beto story
the Beto campaign denies being the source of the messaging being investigated
It is certainly possible when you read stories about GOP strategies to get their opponents in trouble by doing illegal actions in the opponent’s name that this could have been a similar ploy
Just because someone wants to paint Beto’s campaign as the malefactor doesn’t mean it actually WAS doing an illegal action...
Again—
Just like the AG’s efforts to impugn people as being illegal voters w/o proper vetting...
The AGs office requested that some voters be vetted based on the fact that when they applied for other government programs they applied as NON CITIZENS.

And I read that article and that's exactly WHY I posted it - trying specifically not to label one party or the other as being "the only guilty party."

Old 02-17-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I get your point, but few Texans will choose to understand your experience or perspective. This is what happens when you “mess with Texas.” It is the least self-critical state I ever lived in. No sense in arguing with those who drank the koolaid.
Right? This is insane. My kid was purged. Not accidentally dropped. She did not move counties. IF she had moved (locally, not different county) and had not voted in the last several elections then she would have been legally purged. She voted in the last presidential election. This was not a legal purge. When we moved she filled out and mailed a change of address for voting. Same for her driver's license and everything else. Miraculously her driver's licence and everything else went through smoothly. Since we use ID now for voting assumed that did as well. Which is why, and I'm livid now trying to explain this, people need to check that site to make sure they are properly registered. Had she NOT, she would have had no idea until she showed up at the polls. People need to know to check their status. Period. If you move to another county, as Kathryn did, you must re-register.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:26 AM

When you move, your precinct often changes, so you need to re-register. And DLs and other entities are different - not under the same jurisdiction as voter registration. So it's not "odd" that this might fall through the cracks. Heck, I have had to resubmit paperwork several times over the years with different government entities - don't even get me started on vehicle issues with the Austin office. Was that suspicious? Was someone out to get me? Or is it just general low paid employee ineptitude? My bet is on the latter - in my case as well as your daughter's case.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:33 AM

Just leaving this here so people know www.votetexas.gov. If you move within your county, whether it's within the same precinct or not, it's supposedly (ha!) a simple process. If you move outside of your county (not precinct, county) then you must re-register. Don't take my word for it? Go to the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas