Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Not an admirable distinction.

The Voter Suppression State
If it is your goal to keep people of color from the polls, you can once again look to Texas for guidance

By Mimi Swartz, Texas Monthly

The state that gave you two recent mediocre-to-crummy Republican presidents (who are starting to look downright Lincolnesque compared to you-know-who), gerrymandering in the guise of redistricting (thanks a lot, Tom DeLay) and a profound if misguided antipathy to government in general is now surging ahead in a new field: voter suppression. As someone who loves Texas with a triple shot of ambivalence, I take no pleasure in spreading this news.

Opinion | The Voter Suppression StateLatest Commentary Today, Breaking Business News Worldwide | Latest Commentary Today, Breaking Business News Worldwide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:36 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Well, it IS about time that the roles WERE looked at. If they're legit, fine - no harm, no foul. If they're not, they should be removed.

What's "suppressive" about that?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Well, it IS about time that the roles WERE looked at. If they're legit, fine - no harm, no foul. If they're not, they should be removed.

What's "suppressive" about that?
Rolls, not roles.

What's suppressive is the Secretary of State made no effort to produce a clean list of voters who should be purged. They used methods that within 24 hours of publication were shown to be wrong. One small county in west Texas that had about 300 people on its "purge list" was able to show, within 48 hours of receiving the list, that all 300 were legal voters. And this was a conservative, Red west Texas county. Not some liberal hotbed.

I understand that 21,000 of the 95,000 were proven legal just by checking one database the day after it was released. One. Database.

I'm all for removing illegal voters. But when you do it with the clear intent of removing minority & ethnic voters* with no regard as to the correctness of the list, that's suppressive.

And it's not "no harm, no foul". These people are being removed by some counties without any followup. So now they have lost their right to vote, and have to go to additional steps to regain it, if they even know they lost it. What if they show up to the polls, not realizing they have been purged?

This is why so many people like me, who were good, conservative, red voters for years, are voting blue. This is why a Beto almost wins in a state that was solid red for so long. Many of us are tired of the partisan tactics of the far right. I don't care about bathrooms, I want a state that's run well, offering opportunity to all.

* You wonder why I say this was directed at minority & ethnic voters? They used a list of people who weren't citizens when they applied for a TDL, and matched it up to people who later registered to vote. Anyone on both lists was automatically purged. They didn't bother to check whether those people had later become citizens, before they applied to vote. Turns out tens of thousands had.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Is there a way to check the list? I'm concerned that my husband is on it even though he didn't break any laws. He was here legally for more than a decade before he got citizenship and registered to vote. During most of the time he was here he had a driver's license.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Is there a way to check the list? I'm concerned that my husband is on it even though he didn't break any laws. He was here legally for more than a decade before he got citizenship and registered to vote. During most of the time he was here he had a driver's license.
What county would he be registered in? I would check with the County Clerk, and see what they are doing with the info from the state. I think most of them have put it on hold, due to the unbelievable level of crappy data they were sent.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:22 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
You can check online. Google “am I registered to vote Texas” and it comes up. You just provide some info - I used DL# and date of birth - and it will tell you if and what county. Super easy.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
You can check online. Google “am I registered to vote Texas” and it comes up. You just provide some info - I used DL# and date of birth - and it will tell you if and what county. Super easy.
But that wouldn't indicate if a person is on the list. I don't believe the people on the list have had their registrations cancelled. The county is supposed to ask people on the list to provide evidence of citizenship first.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
But that wouldn't indicate if a person is on the list. I don't believe the people on the list have had their registrations cancelled. The county is supposed to ask people on the list to provide evidence of citizenship first.
Yep, nothing is cancelled yet. Yep, there is illegal voting going on. But this not the way to check for it, what way, I don't have a clue.

My best friends wife was a legal voter, citizen, and worked on/for ONE of the parties, I won't say which one, but it is the one most talked about, lol and told and showed him time again how she/they could register him to vote, she passed way, but this has been a very common practice for years.

So there IS a problem to be solved.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Sorry, misread I was thinking the voters registration “list” not the list they are reviewing to verify someone is legally voting. Long day....

Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
This. My kid was purged close to the last election. Found out through the "am I registered to vote Texas" site when no card came for her. She's 21, has been voting since she was 18. We moved about a year and a half ago. We filled out change of address voting cards together when we moved. Mine went through, her's did not. She had to fight to vote in that last state election. She had been purged for absolutely no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas