Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This. My kid was purged close to the last election. Found out through the "am I registered to vote Texas" site when no card came for her. She's 21, has been voting since she was 18. We moved about a year and a half ago. We filled out change of address voting cards together when we moved. Mine went through, her's did not. She had to fight to vote in that last state election. She had been purged for absolutely no reason.
No, not this. Checking whether you are registered does not tell you whether you are on the list of possible illegal voters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
It's illegal to vote outside of one's precinct from what I understand. So your daughter needed to show that she moved. I understand that she sent in her form, but we all know that state government form shufflers are not paid well and not all that on the ball. She was not "purged." She just needs to follow the steps to prove where she lives from what I understand.

My gosh, we need to know who is voting and know that they are legally doing so. How is that suppression?

Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's illegal to vote outside of one's precinct from what I understand. So your daughter needed to show that she moved. I understand that she sent in her form, but we all know that state government form shufflers are not paid well and not all that on the ball. She was not "purged." She just needs to follow the steps to prove where she lives from what I understand.

My gosh, we need to know who is voting and know that they are legally doing so. How is that suppression?
She was purged. She did show that she moved and where she lives (precinct). She followed the steps. Carefully. Twice. Has always lived in the city and county of Dallas. It was simply amazing (really?) that she found herself off of the rolls during the last election. Fascinating, really. Kid is very meek but had the guts to fight for her right and I'm damned proud. She was put back on the roll about a week before the election, only because of her sheer determination, other people would have given up. What is suppression? Being purged off of the damned rolls.

Editing to say that I early voted on the very first day of early voting. It's not illegal to vote out of one's precinct during early voting. Just so people know.

Last edited by TXNGL; 02-13-2019 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: adding info that Texas voters should know.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
She was purged. She did show that she moved and where she lives (precinct). She followed the steps. Carefully. Twice. Has always lived in the city and county of Dallas. It was simply amazing (really?) that she found herself off of the rolls during the last election. Fascinating, really. Kid is very meek but had the guts to fight for her right and I'm damned proud. She was put back on the roll about a week before the election, only because of her sheer determination, other people would have given up. What is suppression? Being purged off of the damned rolls.

Editing to say that I early voted on the very first day of early voting. It's not illegal to vote out of one's precinct during early voting. Just so people know.
Sigh. Someone screwed up her paperwork. She was not PURGED. She has voted legally in the past apparently and was able to vote again in this past election.

But if it makes you feel better to call a screw up by someone as her being purged, have at it.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:32 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Quote:
Sigh. Someone screwed up her paperwork. She was not PURGED. She has voted legally in the past apparently and was able to vote again in this past election.

But if it makes you feel better to call a screw up by someone as her being purged, have at it.
With Less Federal Supervision, Texas Drops More People From Voter Rolls | KUT

Quote:
Perez says other forces are increasing the number of purges, too. For one, she says, access to the ballot has become increasingly political. There’s been a rise in conservative activist groups asking local officials to purge more people. Perez also says there are new tools being used in Texas. Some of them include cross-referencing voter rolls with databases she says are problematic.

Texas has had voter purges that have gone wrong before – including one in 2012 where people who were alive were removed from voter rolls because officials thought they had died.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Perez also says there are new tools being used in Texas. Some of them include cross-referencing voter rolls with databases she says are problematic.

That's exactly what happened this go round. The SoS cross-referenced the complete state voter rolls against everyone's original drivers license application. Anyone, ANYONE who had checked the box "not a citizen" on their app was immediately put on the illegal voter list. Simple as that.

So let's say you applied for a drivers license as a legal immigrant (for example, you have a green card or an H1-B visa), and properly checked the "not a citizen" box. Years later, you applied for citizenship, passed the tests, became a proud American citizen, and registered to vote. Then in 2019, a d-bag SoS does this intentionally hateful cross-reference, and puts you on the "you are voting illegally" list.

And bingo, this is what happened to tens of thousands of Texans, lawful American citizens. The hate exhibited by the right-wing conservatives is shameful. And has driven me and millions of other moderately conservative Texans to vote Blue. I want no part of this racist hate, and won't vote for a party that supports it, or even allows it, in any form.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:44 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:

Kathryn, it doesn't make me feel better at all. The only reason she was able to vote in this last election was because she fought like heck. Called, emailed, researched, and basically pestered the hell out of the officials. That it took all of that is not right.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:

Surely you're aware that it's an excuse used for suppression?

Old 02-14-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Kathryn, it doesn't make me feel better at all. The only reason she was able to vote in this last election was because she fought like heck. Called, emailed, researched, and basically pestered the hell out of the officials. That it took all of that is not right.
It's not right for ANYONE to vote illegally either. We have some of both extremes, apparently.

We need a streamlined system apparently.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Surely you're aware that it's an excuse used for suppression?

Nope, I'm not "aware" of that because I don't believe that legitimate voters are being "suppressed" on a regular basis. I do, however, believe that people who shouldn't be voting are voting in the fine state of Texas. Or at the very least, trying to vote in the wrong precinct or whatever.

I watched this happen right in front of me in the voting booth a few months ago. A couple of people in line ahead of me were not registered to vote in our county, but they were trying to vote. They kept pushing even though their names were not on the register. The addresses they gave were not in this county! They just showed up and tried to vote. What the heck?

I mean, I saw this with my own eyes. They had driver's licenses but those ARE NOT PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP. My understanding is that you cannot vote in Texas unless you are a US citizen.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and provide documentation. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas