Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM

40 posts, read 144,743 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate all the timely and thoughtful responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:34 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Heh, James, we forgot another good reason -- you can power your home with wind energy!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:39 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
And today, there is enough wind to electrify New York City. But there is probably as much or more wind in Lubbock, Midland, and Wichita Falls, Teatime. They just don't have as many windmills as we do!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM

12 posts, read 37,343 times
I've lived in Lubbock all my life and I go to Abilene about once a month, and personally, I like both equally. Both towns are college towns. (although Texas Tech is much larger than Abilene's universities) Lubbock is growing much faster than all of the other cities, and Abilene has the most beautiful setting of all. Lubbock has more amenities and shopping, and Texas Tech plays in the NCAA Division 1. Abilene is centrally located. Abilene and Lubbock have great local restaurants. Lubbock High School has one of the best magnet programs in the state.(They have to have the International Baccalaureate Program and in 2002, their academic decathlon team won third place in the national competition.) Both cities are great places to live, and I wish you the best of luck in this major decision.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Just for your information, we have an art walk the second Thursday of every month. Most of the events are free. They take place around downtown and the museum area.

Here is today's schedule of events. (And, no, I have a cold and had to stay home. I would have enjoyed much of it. I noticed there is one jazz event scheduled.)

Earth Day comes to ArtWalk : Events : Abilene Reporter-News

Old 04-11-2008, 03:34 PM

40 posts, read 144,743 times
Default Midland...

...has AA minor league baseball, which for my family is a huge plus. I've also learned that Lubbock has an Arena Football League (AFL2) team. It's surprising that Abilene doesn't have ANY minor league pro sports. I was in the Abilene regional airport this AM; four gates, and only two seemed to be in use, one by AA for Dallas flights and one by Continental, which goes to Houston. Short security lines are a plus.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:50 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeep View Post
...has AA minor league baseball, which for my family is a huge plus. I've also learned that Lubbock has an Arena Football League (AFL2) team. It's surprising that Abilene doesn't have ANY minor league pro sports. I was in the Abilene regional airport this AM; four gates, and only two seemed to be in use, one by AA for Dallas flights and one by Continental, which goes to Houston. Short security lines are a plus.
Midland also has hockey and arena football, if you don't mind going to Odessa. Also Midland and Odessa are building a new performing arts center that looks like it should be pretty impressive. All the funding is in place but construction has started yet.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:05 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Talking I'm Blown Away By This

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
And today, there is enough wind to electrify New York City. But there is probably as much or more wind in Lubbock, Midland, and Wichita Falls, Teatime. They just don't have as many windmills as we do!
What? Lubbock does not have as many windmills?? They seemingly have them on every corner in Lubbock, and that's often the most talked-about thing there. Not that Abilene doesn't have windmills, but when you drive in Lubbock, you have more constant reminders anywhere in the cityscape, and that's even besides having the Wind Power Museum. And you'll be reminded again at any intersection on the Marsha Sharp Freeway when construction is complete. Sorry, James, but I think Lubbock has a few more windmills than just about any other place in Texas and they really are all over the place. Not just for countrysides anymore. Now Lubbock even has them for city and neighborhood decorations.

Really.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeep View Post
While the HQ of the firm I'm joining is in Abilene, I could live in any of the four cities we have offices. I'll be traveling between them frequently. Could you compare/contrast the four metros? I understand Lubbock is the largest with a population of 200k, Abilene has 125,000 and Wichita Falls and Midland both a bit under 100k. We're relocating from a major midwestern city. Family of three with one teenage daughter in HS. Housing budget is $300-350k. Likes: eating out, theater, symphony/jazz, shopping, pro sports (yeah, I know) and walking the dogs. Looking forward to warmer weather and less snow/ice!

Gravitating towards the two larger metros, all things being equal, which I'm sure they aren't. Thanks in advance.
In addition, Downtown Lubbock is undergoing major revitalization projects, some of which are just beginning, and one of the things talked about is a new minor-league baseball park.

Here's more: http://downtown.ci.lubbock.tx.us/pdf/phaseI.pdf

Old 04-12-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
What? Lubbock does not have as many windmills?? They seemingly have them on every corner in Lubbock, and that's often the most talked-about thing there. Not that Abilene doesn't have windmills, but when you drive in Lubbock, you have more constant reminders anywhere in the cityscape, and that's even besides having the Wind Power Museum. And you'll be reminded again at any intersection on the Marsha Sharp Freeway when construction is complete. Sorry, James, but I think Lubbock has a few more windmills than just about any other place in Texas and they really are all over the place. Not just for countrysides anymore. Now Lubbock even has them for city and neighborhood decorations.

Really.
I misspoke. The truth is, Lubbock has many more windmills--especially when you consider the water drilling mills. I was really speaking of the large wind farms for electrical generating. True, ours are outside the city, and you have more inside. I stand corrected, but I will continue to refer to the Time magazine article stating that we have the largest wind energy farm in the world! And, of course, this was just a post in jest about the wind on that day.

By the way, back in the dark ages, my mom and Dad's families lived near Lubbock in Grassland (between Tahoka and Post). Almost every farm back then had a wind generator strong enough to run an electric light or two. The technology has been with us a long, long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas