Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:22 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you were able to transfer to DFW, where would your work be located?
What is your budget for housing?
The Job would be close to Addison not too far from The Galleria. And our budget is nothing higher than 250,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey7 View Post
So he says his intentions are innocent.. proceeds to bash Houston for apperantly not having enough blacks in schools but dallass does... oh man seems like u are already decided there. But nice try on sticking it to houston...the most DIVERSE place in America. Loser
I see I have to coddle you Joey. You clearly misunderstood my post. But since you chose to go there, I've been living in Houston now close to 10 years. I chose to move to Houston because at the time it was the best city for me in Texas. I still love Houston for the same reasons I did when I first moved here. Even though I still have love for Houston being that now i'm a married man with a infant I have to expand my options to make sure I provide the best environment for my family before my child starts grade school. Initially before I had a child I didn't think Houston wouldn't have the best options for black students in the state of Texas. It wasn't till I ran across reliable web-sites to scout the best schools in Texas that I realize how many schools with a significant amount of black students were somewhere in the middle or the bottom of education in the surrounding areas of Houston. This on top of the fact that I could get a better job offer led me to looking at DFW. Even though Houston is definitely more diverse than DFW and different ethnic groups culturally integrate more so on a social level for some odd reason that doesn't necessarily reflect when it comes to a top rated education. Like I stated before Ft.Bend ISD and Pearland ISD seem to be the best to offer that in the area.

Meanwhile while Dallas is not booming with those same highly rated schools for some odd reason they tend to have a little bit more to offer in their suburbs in safer areas might I add than Houston. Hard pill for me to swallow since I actually like Houston better. If I were a single man I'd stick with living in Houston or just move back to Atlanta. But for family purposes it SEEMS like Dallas suburbs offer more for the overall family experience that I'M looking for now in my 30's. THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
If he can easily afford The Woodlands then Lake Highlands shouldn't be a problem. RISD is great but it's very different from The Woodlands. There won't be that fancy, master-planned feel of The Woodlands. It's one of the oldest Dallas suburbs so newer homes and neighborhoods aren't common. A lot of the housing stock dates back to the '50s and '60s. That being said, there are some lovely, older neighborhoods.
We're actually staying with my wife's in-laws saving money for a house. On average I wouldn't be able to afford a home in The Woodlands. We definitely could afford homes in the areas of Spring that sits right next to The Woodlands but the newer homes and older neighborhoods deep into Woodlands would be out of our range. And i'm fine with not having the fancy master planned feel. After awhile it gets to feel really bland and cookie cutter especially when the area tends to lack culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Can't stress enough times: Berkner HS in Richardson
I'm white (ish), husband black, so mixed kids. All my kids' friends look just like them- a healthy blend of what-the-heck-exactly-is-your-ancestry look. All nationalities are represented but I'd say the healthiest populace is from "white- ish", "black-ish", "latino-ish" and "south-Asian-ish" with also a lot of middle eastern both Muslim and non-Muslim.

Lake Highlands, just south of us in Dallas, has a similar mix and is a beautiful school (still Richardson ISD though Dallas). The issue is Lake Highlands is expensive, so depends on your budget.

I don't know anything at all about Houston area except Katy where my family lives. I know there are great sports in Katy and also appears to be a very mixed area similar to Richardson.

Good Luck!
I have a friend who lives in Richardson at the moment. I'll definitely look into that area as well. Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The Job would be close to Addison not too far from The Galleria. And our budget is nothing higher than 250,000.

I see I have to coddle you Joey. You clearly misunderstood my post. But since you chose to go there, I've been living in Houston now close to 10 years. I chose to move to Houston because at the time it was the best city for me in Texas. I still love Houston for the same reasons I did when I first moved here. Even though I still have love for Houston being that now i'm a married man with a infant I have to expand my options to make sure I provide the best environment for my family before my child starts grade school. Initially before I had a child I didn't think Houston wouldn't have the best options for black students in the state of Texas. It wasn't till I ran across reliable web-sites to scout the best schools in Texas that I realize how many schools with a significant amount of black students were somewhere in the middle or the bottom of education in the surrounding areas of Houston. This on top of the fact that I could get a better job offer led me to looking at DFW. Even though Houston is definitely more diverse than DFW and different ethnic groups culturally integrate more so on a social level for some odd reason that doesn't necessarily reflect when it comes to a top rated education. Like I stated before Ft.Bend ISD and Pearland ISD seem to be the best to offer that in the area.

Meanwhile while Dallas is not booming with those same highly rated schools for some odd reason they tend to have a little bit more to offer in their suburbs in safer areas might I add than Houston. Hard pill for me to swallow since I actually like Houston better. If I were a single man I'd stick with living in Houston or just move back to Atlanta. But for family purposes it SEEMS like Dallas suburbs offer more for the overall family experience that I'M looking for now in my 30's. THX

We're actually staying with my wife's in-laws saving money for a house. On average I wouldn't be able to afford a home in The Woodlands. We definitely could afford homes in the areas of Spring that sits right next to The Woodlands but the newer homes and older neighborhoods deep into Woodlands would be out of our range. And i'm fine with not having the fancy master planned feel. After awhile it gets to feel really bland and cookie cutter especially when the area tends to lack culture.

I have a friend who lives in Richardson at the moment. I'll definitely look into that area as well. Thanks for the advice.
I think 250 grand could be too low of a budget for DFW but i aint for sure....best of luck.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:28 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Your budget definitely changes things. It’s quite low for DFW. You definitely can’t afford a house in Lake Highlands.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:59 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

I see I have to coddle you Joey. You clearly misunderstood my post. But since you chose to go there, I've been living in Houston now close to 10 years. I chose to move to Houston because at the time it was the best city for me in Texas. I still love Houston for the same reasons I did when I first moved here. Even though I still have love for Houston being that now i'm a married man with a infant I have to expand my options to make sure I provide the best environment for my family before my child starts grade school.
I can't help you with any advice on picking between the two cities (although I was born in Dallas and lived outside Houston for a while) since now I just want to stay as far away from both as possible.

That being said, I'll explain why I am posting on the thread. I am actually just curious about the fact you say you love Houston but upon further notice, here is what you put for your location: Houston(Screwston), TX. I'm sure it's a simple answer, maybe an inside joke? But just struck me as . . well, odd I guess you might say. It's none of my business and no big deal, so if you don't care to answer, I'll understand.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Your budget definitely changes things. It’s quite low for DFW. You definitely can’t afford a house in Lake Highlands.
I really wasn't looking into moving to Lake Highlands because I knew that was out of my price range. I also know DFW happens to be more expensive than Houston but I was looking at suburbs such as Mansfield/Grand Prairie/ Duncanville/Desoto/ and Arlington. I've been doing research on Truila,Zillow, Har and there's a good amount of houses in those cities that match my budget. I also know plenty of people that live in Dallas that tell me the most affordable homes in nice suburbs are south of Dallas. We can adjust our budget a bit but as of yet we haven't talk to any realtors based out of DFW to really get a hands on approach of housing prices. We're still in the infancy stages of the idea to stay in Houston or move to Dallas. We won't move till late 2020( around the time our child will start grade school).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I can't help you with any advice on picking between the two cities (although I was born in Dallas and lived outside Houston for a while) since now I just want to stay as far away from both as possible.

That being said, I'll explain why I am posting on the thread. I am actually just curious about the fact you say you love Houston but upon further notice, here is what you put for your location: Houston(Screwston), TX. I'm sure it's a simple answer, maybe an inside joke? But just struck me as . . well, odd I guess you might say. It's none of my business and no big deal, so if you don't care to answer, I'll understand.
You're good man. I don't know if your familiar with the Houston hip-hop scene but another less than mainstream nickname for Houston is called Screwston. It's in honor of the creation of Screw music. It's not me saying Screw Houston or anything of that nature. It's just a ode to that style of music birthed in the city.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
DJ Screw anyone?

Old 03-02-2019, 09:54 AM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
You can find some of the best suburbs in America for both.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
I can't really speak on schools, but to me the biggest difference in suburbs in both areas is that there are far more choices up here to choose from. That makes it easier to find exactly what you have in mind.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:03 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
I'm also considering moving to TX, but cannot decide between Dallas ans Houston.

Is it true that Houston is greener and more lush with more plants and trees than Dallas?
I visited dallas last week, everything was brown, the trees with no leaves. Is Houston brown or green in the winter?
How about the south of Houston, Clearlake, Sugarland, League City?

Old 03-02-2019, 03:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I'm also considering moving to TX, but cannot decide between Dallas ans Houston.

Is it true that Houston is greener and more lush with more plants and trees than Dallas?
I visited dallas last week, everything was brown, the trees with no leaves. Is Houston brown or green in the winter?
How about the south of Houston, Clearlake, Sugarland, League City?
I would think Houston would be greener than the Big D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas