Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 05:14 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

My wife and I are thinking of retiring to the Hill Country in a couple of years. We'd like to pick up a property that has enough space to put in a fairly substantial vegetable garden. I realize that the soil quality varies quite a bit, but was wondering if generally, one needs to import a good amount of topsoil or can one plant a garden with just some rototilling of the soil that exists there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 PM

11,069 posts, read 7,135,481 times
How many cubic feet or acres of gardening would you be looking at? If needing added soil, the size will make a big difference in cost. Or is cost not a factor? Also keep in mind that the farther west you go, the drier it will get and the more water will be needed.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Buy a place with both river bottom (good soils) and southern hillside (Good sun and cooler climate).

Water (drip), raised / segregated beds, and shade cloth will be your friends.
Texas has very liberal water collection laws. (You can collect a LOT!) I plan to build a 20,000 gal underground storage tank, I get a LOT of run-off!

We bought a few adjacent properties because the original farm had been split up. We have a bit of really good soil (7 acres lowland / river bottom) and a lot of really bad 'growing' soil. (thistles and cedars seem to do well... argh.)

There is no 'rototilling' on (2) of our properties, ~ 1-2" MAX soil(?) depth, then SOLID ROCK! But the views are nice! The older you get, the nicer the raised beds are!

1) You will probably need to import and amend your soils (annually)
2) You MUST have water
3) You probably will need shade if you want to grow Jul / Aug / Sept.

Know what crops are best for the climate and soils
Don't fight mother nature http://hillcountrynatives.net/design...l-maintenance/

(Can buy very reasonable priced commercial produce, and join a buyers club for frequent trips to the valley. ). There are many great community farmers markets. (I am not sure there is a 'mobile Farmer's Market', but I helped start one of those in PNW (goes to underserved communities) and will likely do so in Hill Country too.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/s...ables-to-grow/

Some very nice County Ag depts / demo gardens.
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Offices In Texas (TX) Hill Country
https://www.hillcountrymastergardeners.org/gardens/

If retired, consider teaming up with the locals for enhancing Community Gardening options.
https://www.hillcountrymastergardene...mmunity-garden
Glory Community Garden has become a neighborhood center - hccommunityjournal.com: Home
https://texashillcountry.com/denton-...eds-community/

When veggie gardening gets to be a burden... there are other horticulture options.
https://riversidenaturecenter.org/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-04-2019 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 07:03 PM

11,069 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Also, learn about the "critters" you might encounter in that area (insects, herbivores, etc), and how to deal with them, hopefully without harsh chemicals. It can be a healthy and even fun challenge to engineer solutions to keep your garden safe while still maintaining healthiness. Great links above from SR.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:52 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Buy a place with both river bottom (good soils) and southern hillside (Good sun and cooler climate).

Water (drip), raised / segregated beds, and shade cloth will be your friends.
Texas has very liberal water collection laws. (You can collect a LOT!) I plan to build a 20,000 gal underground storage tank, I get a LOT of run-off!

We bought a few adjacent properties because the original farm had been split up. We have a bit of really good soil (7 acres lowland / river bottom) and a lot of really bad 'growing' soil. (thistles and cedars seem to do well... argh.)

There is no 'rototilling' on (2) of our properties, ~ 1-2" MAX soil(?) depth, then SOLID ROCK! But the views are nice! The older you get, the nicer the raised beds are!

1) You will probably need to import and amend your soils (annually)
2) You MUST have water
3) You probably will need shade if you want to grow Jul / Aug / Sept.

Know what crops are best for the climate and soils
Don't fight mother nature Design, Installation & Maintenance | Hill Country Natives

(Can buy very reasonable priced commercial produce, and join a buyers club for frequent trips to the valley. ). There are many great community farmers markets. (I am not sure there is a 'mobile Farmer's Market', but I helped start one of those in PNW (goes to underserved communities) and will likely do so in Hill Country too.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/s...ables-to-grow/

Some very nice County Ag depts / demo gardens.
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Offices In Texas (TX) Hill Country
https://www.hillcountrymastergardeners.org/gardens/

If retired, consider teaming up with the locals for enhancing Community Gardening options.
https://www.hillcountrymastergardene...mmunity-garden
Glory Community Garden has become a neighborhood center - hccommunityjournal.com: Home
https://texashillcountry.com/denton-...eds-community/

When veggie gardening gets to be a burden... there are other horticulture options.
https://riversidenaturecenter.org/

Is poster sure it would be worth all this work, wow?

Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
How big a garden are you looking for? My dad kept a large (150-75', maybe?) garden out north of Fredericksburg. It was not raised and he did not improve the soil himself, but the land had been terraced at some point in the far past and had decent soil in that area. So the soil was fine, you just need to find a place with some soil on it....

Old 03-05-2019, 12:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
We have a 3' high raised bed garden, partly because we're old and don't want to bend over a lot, but mainly because our acreage is 1-2" of soil over limestone. We brought in a truckload of dirt (lesson learned, buy the already screened dirt), and mix in potting soil and compost every new garden.

We do not even try to have a garden from late June through August -- can't afford that much water, even with our rainwater collection system. We have a winter garden, planted in November, an early spring garden, planted about now, and a fall garden, planted in September. We use short growing season plants.

The most important thing you'll need to do before even considering planting your garden is to build the wildlife fence to keep the critters out -- especially the deer. Otherwise, kiss that garden goodbye.

So, yeah, we can garden in the Hill Country. Just need to make really good preparations and pay attention to the seasons.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:59 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
Gosh, thanks for all the replies! Some really good info here. And yes, we are well aware of the high fencing needed for deer. We currently have some land in Ca (in the Sierra foothills) and our neighbor has an 8' fence around his garden.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
electric fence can work for a WHOLE lot less $$,

But the BEST solution I found was in NZ where our hosts built a 'screened in' entire garden (all 6 sides of the package including wire mesh bottom to keep out the 'diggers'.)

They had a VERY prolific Garden!

For some reason,,, critters don't bother our Blueberries, and we get 300# + from edible and very pretty landscape plants. (Shallow rooted, so need lots of mulch).

As mentioned there are some really nice produce / farmer's markets (for the stuff that is too much trouble to grow). I plan to do short season growing (Since I am not in TX too often). I will consider 'share-cropping' with a local farmer's market grower. I will be hauling in loads of manure / plant residue. Eventually I will do a raised bed, compact year round garden enclosure (also use it as a picnic shelter / outdoor kitchen) I already have a picnic shelter for our future 'rural senior village' (with shops, craft house, separate laundry / shower, RV hookups for friends, and gardens, orchards, pond, and livestock.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...se-outdoor.jpg

Old 03-12-2019, 07:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Hi guys!

My wife and I are thinking of retiring to the Hill Country in a couple of years. We'd like to pick up a property that has enough space to put in a fairly substantial vegetable garden. I realize that the soil quality varies quite a bit, but was wondering if generally, one needs to import a good amount of topsoil or can one plant a garden with just some rototilling of the soil that exists there.

Thanks!
whats your budget for your property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas