Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:18 PM

364 posts, read 618,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
There is one more category where some Californians (not all, just a loud few) seem to best Texas - capriciously moving to another state with little to no research... And then complaining about it. How a person can make such a life altering move with almost no planning is beyond me.

There is no password protected database hiding all the dark secrets of Texas weather. It's all out in the open. Heck there was even a Galveston beach thread last week on this very forum which dissected every one of Galveston's negative qualities. Tornadoes, heat... It's all out in the open. Yet people continue to move here and complain about tornadoes and heat.

^^^ Very true. I just wish for their sakes, more Californians would take a super hard look at the weather here before moving. It would save them a lot of heart ache. The one lady I referenced above whose husband moved her and their kids from Dana Point to Houston was despondent and deeply depressed by the weather (and so were her kids). I got the distinct feeling that she was contemplating leaving him and taking her kids back to SoCal. Why? Because the weather was SO awful compared to SoCal.

It's not a small difference folks, it's a seismic difference to steal a pun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What's with your obsession over Colorado? You keep talking about it, even when it's off-topic like in this thread (which had nothing to do with that state). Is it some kind of uncomfortable urge to babble about unrelated matters? Seek professional help ASAP for everyone's benefit.
No dude, you are the one who is obsessed with Colorado.

You literally have a blog about it.

I'm just pointing out the irony of you bashing Californians moving to Texas and not liking it due to poor research/ unrealistic expectations when you did that exact same thing when you moved to Colorado.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:13 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
^ I wasn't the one who planned any of that, so your comments are still meaningless. Someday you'll wake up and realize how often you get your assumptions wrong.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-07-2019 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 02:06 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I grew up in SoCal and have lived in Texas for the past 28 years. So I see it from both sides.

Cal simply DESTROYS Texas when it comes to weather. Every time I see a new Californian out here (DFW) and we start to talk about the two states I always start counting the seconds before the inevitable..."Umm, is the weather always like this here?" question comes up. I laugh and say...did you buy or rent because it doesn't get any better. The look of horror on their faces is always telling. I always tell them, look: You came here for a reason, I just hope weather wasn't it. I met one lady that moved here with her family (husband was transferred) to Houston. They fell for the old, "wow look what a big house you can buy in Texas! Trap. They moved from Dana Point to Houston Texas lol. They had just came back from the Texas Riviera...Galveston. The look of "Oh my holy god what did we do..." was written all over her face. I felt bad for her, but they should of done their research.

I STRONGLY advice anyone thinking of moving here actually spends some time here first. Expensive? Yes, but less then trying to move BACK to California when you realize what complete and utter **** the weather is here compared to Cal.

Californians are so use to good if not spectacular weather that it often flies under their radar until it's too late ie they have moved. They just don't understand how ****ty life can be with 50" of rain, tornado/severe storms, floods, softball size hail, hurricanes not to mention the horrific humidity in large parts of the state.

As stated previously, once you leave Cal it is VERY hard financially to go back. Think hard about it, and spend time here first, and for gawds sake spend a summer here first LOL.
Just rating this positively was not strong enough for how fantastic this post is. This x 100!

Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Interesting article in the NYT this morning about millennials who made millions with start ups, then retired to TX to avoid the CA taxes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/t...gtype=Homepage

Old 05-09-2019, 06:40 AM

716 posts, read 539,734 times
dependsou7 lived in So calif - high desert- tx is alot better - redding-- tx is better -el central - tx is better - its not all about the weather moving here

Old 05-09-2019, 11:32 AM

431 posts, read 257,469 times
Quote:
I grew up in SoCal and have lived in Texas for the past 28 years. So I see it from both sides.

Cal simply DESTROYS Texas when it comes to weather. Every time I see a new Californian out here (DFW) and we start to talk about the two states I always start counting the seconds before the inevitable..."Umm, is the weather always like this here?" question comes up. I laugh and say...did you buy or rent because it doesn't get any better. The look of horror on their faces is always telling. I always tell them, look: You came here for a reason, I just hope weather wasn't it. I met one lady that moved here with her family (husband was transferred) to Houston. They fell for the old, "wow look what a big house you can buy in Texas! Trap. They moved from Dana Point to Houston Texas lol. They had just came back from the Texas Riviera...Galveston. The look of "Oh my holy god what did we do..." was written all over her face. I felt bad for her, but they should of done their research.

I STRONGLY advice anyone thinking of moving here actually spends some time here first. Expensive? Yes, but less then trying to move BACK to California when you realize what complete and utter **** the weather is here compared to Cal.

Californians are so use to good if not spectacular weather that it often flies under their radar until it's too late ie they have moved. They just don't understand how ****ty life can be with 50" of rain, tornado/severe storms, floods, softball size hail, hurricanes not to mention the horrific humidity in large parts of the state.

As stated previously, once you leave Cal it is VERY hard financially to go back. Think hard about it, and spend time here first, and for gawds sake spend a summer here first LOL.

I think you are right, to a certain extent. California weather along the coast is better. LAX always seems to be 75 degrees during the summer and of coarse S.F is constantly cool. The pacific ocean offers a natural air conditioning that provides the cities a cool down from what would normally be desert conditions (at least in Southern California) All the major California cities are along the coast, but that "perfect weather reaches only so far. The few that can afford to live along the coast have it made, granted, but people in the San Fernando Valley or Inland Empire, San Bernandino county have to deal with that horrible desert heat; sure they cool down at night but 105 degrees in the summer is not uncommon throughout the inner regions of the states up to Sacramento.

My point is, yes California has the upper hand in weather in many part of the state, but not all. If you ask most people from other parts of the country (especially northern states) they tell you that Texas is great. I would not recommend anyone visit during July and August, but for those who live here, we know that the rest of the year is quite pleasant. Galveston may not have the best beaches, but other beaches further south in the state are quite nice; plus we're a quick flight or cruise from a many Caribbean destinations that we can afford.

So the trade off is that Texas does get more storms, it can get hot as hell and the coast is humid versus earthquakes, wild fires, overpopulation in metro areas as most people want to live near the coast but most likely end up in San Bernandino or Lancaster, and oh yes, the politics.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
^^^ Very true. I just wish for their sakes, more Californians would take a super hard look at the weather here before moving. It would save them a lot of heart ache. The one lady I referenced above whose husband moved her and their kids from Dana Point to Houston was despondent and deeply depressed by the weather (and so were her kids). I got the distinct feeling that she was contemplating leaving him and taking her kids back to SoCal. Why? Because the weather was SO awful compared to SoCal.

It's not a small difference folks, it's a seismic difference to steal a pun.

California weather is great as rated number 1 in these articles, but look who's all the way down in the 3rd spot.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...st-weather.php
https://medium.com/thrive-global/top...d-c2d71225e629

I know, I cant believe it either.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
I think you are right, to a certain extent. California weather along the coast is better. LAX always seems to be 75 degrees during the summer and of coarse S.F is constantly cool. The pacific ocean offers a natural air conditioning that provides the cities a cool down from what would normally be desert conditions (at least in Southern California) All the major California cities are along the coast, but that "perfect weather reaches only so far. The few that can afford to live along the coast have it made, granted, but people in the San Fernando Valley or Inland Empire, San Bernandino county have to deal with that horrible desert heat; sure they cool down at night but 105 degrees in the summer is not uncommon throughout the inner regions of the states up to Sacramento.

My point is, yes California has the upper hand in weather in many part of the state, but not all. If you ask most people from other parts of the country (especially northern states) they tell you that Texas is great. I would not recommend anyone visit during July and August, but for those who live here, we know that the rest of the year is quite pleasant. Galveston may not have the best beaches, but other beaches further south in the state are quite nice; plus we're a quick flight or cruise from a many Caribbean destinations that we can afford.

So the trade off is that Texas does get more storms, it can get hot as hell and the coast is humid versus earthquakes, wild fires, overpopulation in metro areas as most people want to live near the coast but most likely end up in San Bernandino or Lancaster, and oh yes, the politics.
Yeah but compared to Texas the IE has amazing weather. We are talking about a 20-degree difference at night.

My guess would be 90%+ of California has better weather than 90%+ of Texas. Only the very nicest areas of Texas have better weather than the worst parts of California. Unfortunately, very few people live in the nice weather parts of Texas and very few people live in the bad weather parts of California.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah but compared to Texas the IE has amazing weather. We are talking about a 20-degree difference at night.

My guess would be 90%+ of California has better weather than 90%+ of Texas. Only the very nicest areas of Texas have better weather than the worst parts of California. Unfortunately, very few people live in the nice weather parts of Texas and very few people live in the bad weather parts of California.
I agree, California has better weather, but it hasn't stopped people from moving here. People adapt and thrive in whatever weather region they are in. If you have lived for any extended period of time here, you know that the summers (especially July and August) can be brutal, therefore even a 90 degree day in the middle of August can seen like a relief from the 100 degree days. Never the less, people take advantage of those breaks and enjoy the outdoors when they can. The rest of the year is very pleasant, including the spring storm season and the occasional freeze during winter. It's all good and it makes Texans appreciate what they have compared to other parts of the country. If you stay too long in paradise, you forget you're in paradise. I think Texas keeps us all grounded with it's bi-polar weather, and that's all good with me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas