Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:47 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
Be careful of high property tax in the Hill Country.
Most of the counties in the Hill Country have lower property taxes than where I'm located in Hill County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 06:06 AM

12 posts, read 40,233 times
Every comment has been really helpful and I really appreciate you taking this time to help.

It sounds like we are in the right area. I have been looking up every place mentioned and getting an idea of where it is located in proximity to Austin. I kept running into something called 'Texas Hill Country' and those places still seemed nice. Also wondered if that area was more expensive for some reason?

I am not the one with the green thumb in the family so I was not sure what the difference was in "blackland prairie soil" and "sandy loam" but these terms really helped me find a lot of information on the internet about the Texas soil types. Still not sure but I am leaning towards the blackland prairie soil.

I do have one more question, what about flooding or some of the weather you have been having this last couple years. From the news in Florida it has been really rough for many in Texas but I was not sure if it affected the area around Austin?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
Hill Country is more expensive because it's simply one of the most desirable areas to live in Texas, and rightfully so...........
i never really understood, when i lived in North Texas, but now that I am in Central Texas, i "get it".......it truly is the best area of Texas to live in, in my opinion......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Every comment has been really helpful and I really appreciate you taking this time to help.

It sounds like we are in the right area. I have been looking up every place mentioned and getting an idea of where it is located in proximity to Austin. I kept running into something called 'Texas Hill Country' and those places still seemed nice. Also wondered if that area was more expensive for some reason?

I am not the one with the green thumb in the family so I was not sure what the difference was in "blackland prairie soil" and "sandy loam" but these terms really helped me find a lot of information on the internet about the Texas soil types. Still not sure but I am leaning towards the blackland prairie soil.

I do have one more question, what about flooding or some of the weather you have been having this last couple years. From the news in Florida it has been really rough for many in Texas but I was not sure if it affected the area around Austin?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:12 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Many parts of Texas get a lot of flooding and the Hill Country is one of them. Just be sure not to buy in a flood-prone area and stay off the roads when the torrential downpours begin. There are so many low-water crossings and many deaths are caused by people behind the wheels of vehicles trying to drive through water that is too high, and they're swept away. Common sense seems to be lacking so often in flooded areas, hence deaths occur.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
The Hill Country proper is pretty, but unless you find just the right pockets of soil, not the best for what you're looking for. Rocky, for one thing - VERY rocky. (I know because one, among other things, one of the things I do is try to find horse-suitable property for folks, and while a certain amount of rocky is okay, there's a limit - same goes for growing things.)

However, if you get on the skirts of the Hill Country, it's not quite such a problem.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 PM

219 posts, read 811,090 times
Fredericksburg, TX....small, quiet...safe....pretty.....move there....

Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The Hill Country proper is pretty, but unless you find just the right pockets of soil, not the best for what you're looking for. Rocky, for one thing - VERY rocky. (I know because one, among other things, one of the things I do is try to find horse-suitable property for folks, and while a certain amount of rocky is okay, there's a limit - same goes for growing things.)

However, if you get on the skirts of the Hill Country, it's not quite such a problem.

You had originally told me to go East if I-35 which I did but I also kept seeing the term "Texas Hill Country" and it had some great looking property (Fredericksburg, TX was one of the areas) but if it is rocky, then I will go back to the original search and stay East of I-35.

Flooding is something I will need to look into more also. Hoping that East of I 35 has some high areas.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Since you'll be outdoors a lot tending to your garden, I thought this was a point worth making. Do either of you have seasonal allergies? A recent study discussed in the thread below ranked Austin #1 and San Antonio #2 on a list of the worst places to live for allergy sufferers.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...n-antonio.html

Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Fredericksburg has some of those pockets. My intent was not to discourage you from the Hill Country (which is beautiful), just to recommend checking the soil carefully when you find places you like.

For example, the Austin Chalk part of our property has soil that is everywhere from half an inch deep over rock to places that are 4 feet deep over rock (it's a slope with a flat top). So whatever piece you get, walk it thoroughly to familiarize yourself with its characteristics BEFORE you buy.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Fredericksburg has some of those pockets. My intent was not to discourage you from the Hill Country (which is beautiful), just to recommend checking the soil carefully when you find places you like.

For example, the Austin Chalk part of our property has soil that is everywhere from half an inch deep over rock to places that are 4 feet deep over rock (it's a slope with a flat top). So whatever piece you get, walk it thoroughly to familiarize yourself with its characteristics BEFORE you buy.
The information you have supplied has been invaluable in directing us to the right area! I had no idea there was that much rock in the soil so it is just another thing we will need to consider when we check out a potential home and property. Still looks like we are focusing a east of I-35.

One quick question, is there any natural springs on some of the property in the area?

Last edited by Kamper; 04-23-2008 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas