Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM

211 posts, read 117,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyhaynes3590 View Post
To buy 250k, to rent 1k a month or less ideally, could afford 1,300.

I was looking into Kyle. Anywhere within 20 minutes of the city is ideal.
Unless you're putting a substantial, very substantial downpayment, you won't be able to get a mortgage in the nicer areas of Austin/SA/Hou/D etc on $1,000. Is there a reason why rent you put the budget at $1,000 but maybe not the mortgage at that amount? If you were to finance only $200k on a house, you're likely looking at over $1400 for mortage/tax/HOA/Insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 04:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
So we're getting married and moving to Texas. I've never been except for airports, we're going to rent for 6 months to a year before buying. Right now were mostly looking at Dallas and Austin (probably outside of the main city). Also if theres a specific apartment place you recommend let me know. We have 2 cats, a gecko, and a dog. We're considering leaving the cat's with my parents until we're sure it's where we want to be so we don't stress them out too much. Hes been a lot and loves it, lived in el Paso. I've lived in Southern California and Rhode Island. This is what we're looking for...

1. He's a great performer and I'd like him to move somewhere he can still persue singing.
2. Has job opportunities. I'm a gymnastics coach, I don't know how big it is out there. But I am considering going back to school to be an rn, or become an emt. (Although I have my English degree so I guess I could become a substitute too.
3. Hiking and outdoor activities. I love kayaking and nature walks. I really want a little water nearby.
4. He doesn't want to be in a place that's really humid. I wouldn't mind considering Houston but I don't know if he would.

We both have chronic pain and the cold makes it worse. I'd like most of the year to be 70 to 90 degrees, I wouldn't mind random snow, and I know there's hotter days.

Thank you!
I would look in El Paso. Midland is too small and boring. Maybe Amarillo or Abilene would be ok... Abilene gets a pretty bad rep though.

If you can't handle humidity you can't handle most of Texas. I have relatively straight hair but right now it is a complete mess just from the humidity. So I think your best bet is sticking to west Texas.

Other states to look at would be Arizona or Oklahoma.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I would look in El Paso. Midland is too small and boring. Maybe Amarillo or Abilene would be ok... Abilene gets a pretty bad rep though.

If you can't handle humidity you can't handle most of Texas. I have relatively straight hair but right now it is a complete mess just from the humidity. So I think your best bet is sticking to west Texas.

Other states to look at would be Arizona or Oklahoma.
ya your right Midland is super boring

Last edited by C24L; 05-22-2019 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM

I would check out El Paso,OP.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:40 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
To buy 250k, to rent 1k a month or less ideally, could afford 1,300.

I was looking into Kyle. Anywhere within 20 minutes of the city is ideal.
None of what you’re describing is a good fit for Texas. How did you decide to move here? Are you considering anywhere else?

Dallas is humid and also most definitely has all four seasons. We had a lot of days in the 30-50’s the past two winters (about 40 days with highs below 59 in winter this year). And the 105 days are a LOT hotter than 90, the upper end of your preferred range. It’s getting impossible to find a house below $250k that’s in a decent neighborbood in Dallas & suburbs. Even harder in Austin.

Kyle is not within 20 minutes of Austin. More like 45-60 in traffic. I-35 through Austin is an absolute disaster. Within 20 minutes of Austin you’re still in Austin. Austin is the prettiest and most outdoorsy but also the most expensive. Would be best for your husband to perform probably. Austin gets extremely hot in the summer, especially anywhere downtown where the concrete just radiates heat.

Houston’s humidity is next level. It’s the least expensive major metro in TX and also the flattest. It is the warmest though, probably a good 10 Degrees warmer than Dallas on average.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And southwest Texas is as flat as a flitter, whatever that means. Super flat.
Southwest Texas? Is that a typo?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
ya your right Midland is super boring
There aren't any outdoor activities but the museums are cool

Old 05-22-2019, 08:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Southwest Texas? Is that a typo?
Texas is a huge state. I meant west Texas around Midland. Not Marfa or Alpine or places like that. My bad. Though it is pretty dang flat around Pearsall and Catarina and Hebronville and Pandale and some other southwest places.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
There aren't any outdoor activities but the museums are cool
true.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Texas is a huge state. I meant west Texas around Midland. Not Marfa or Alpine or places like that. My bad. Though it is pretty dang flat around Pearsall and Catarina and Hebronville and Pandale and some other southwest places.
ya your rite...Midland is pancake flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas