Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:04 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,126,226 times

Advertisements

Houston isnt what you want..neither humidity nor hiking wise.. trust me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 11:06 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,220,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, for so much hate on Texas, the state sure is growing in population. I really wish people would live in places they love but I guess not everyone can do that.

I am blessed I guess. Well, I know I am.

The storms - I guess some people really don't understand how others can love them - but I do love them. After spending most of my life living in Tornado Alley, I understand the risks (low) and the precautions to take when necessary - meanwhile, I just love the fabulous thunderstorms. I really missed big thunderstorms when I lived in other regions that don't get them.

Humidity - relative. I rarely even notice it. But then, I'm from New Orleans so I've got a high tolerance level for it. Also, I love it's effects on my skin and hair and eyes and all that. Not trying to brag, but after decades of living in high humidity regions, and 25 years of living in NE Texas - my skin is very lush and wrinkle free. Score!

Bugs - I'm not a mosquito magnet. Plus we have our yard and house sprayed regularly against spiders, bugs, mosquitoes, that sort of thing. Zero problems. I do mean zero. I haven't seen a mosquito in our yard for years. The worst thing I've ever found in my house was actually a mouse, after our cat died. Not to go into too much gory detail, but let's just say I took care of that issue easily.

Honestly, I've never had a bug problem. I take that back - we do get June bugs in, well, June. Minor inconvenience.

Cicadas - some people actually do hate the sound of cicadas. I don't - I love that sound. I love the sound of cicadas and frogs and bullfrogs and all that other stuff in the evenings. I really can't imagine not hearing them. Throw in some fireflies for extra credit, and a glass of wine, and I'm in heaven on that patio! Oh, also throw in a coupla fans in the summertime - LOL.

Long, hot summers. Yeah, we have'em. We're not perfect, and summer lasts about a month too long in my personal opinion. We really don't have much crisp fall weather - we have warm fall weather. But it's nice - and here in NE Texas we do have fall color - we just have it in November and December! So we have fall weather for about two months, then winter for about two months, then glorious spring for about 3 months, and then - yes, it's hot here from June through September. October is a crap shoot - some years it's warmish and some years it's chilly - it's got unsettled weather, along with April, probably the two most unsettled months during the year here in NE Texas.

But when I'm tired of it being warm - some might call it hot but frankly I consider anything under about 90 degrees to be warm, not hot - I just remind myself that I'm planting flowers in my yard while my brother up in Ohio is still getting snow! Heck, we're going to freaking SEDONA, AZ in a few days and even there, there's "wintry mix" in the forecast there for this upcoming week. I am sorry - I just can't deal with it. JUST. CANNOT. DEAL. But I'm glad others can. I'll probably love it there, like I love Maine in September - and like I love Texas in April. Oh, and May. And most of June. And then you can skip to October through March, but I figure that if I love the weather ANYWHERE for 9 months out of the year, that's enough for me!
We are offering advise to another person, so no, it isn't "Negative" it's the truth.

The question isn't if you can tolerate the hot humid summer or not, or if you like the sounds of the bugs. Ultimately this isn't about you, it's about what they are looking for.

Two of their 4 things they were interested in: Low humidity and Hiking won't be found in the large metros that provide good performing arts opportunities (another request). I mean you get ok hiking near Austin, so at most that provides 2 1/2 of the things they are interested in, but it is absolutely out of their price range unless they are willing to bump that up.

By the way, I've recommended Texas to plenty people IR, but based on what the OP has told us, I would not. I would recommend AZ.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:26 PM

364 posts, read 612,311 times
and yet another Texas storm kills again. Welcome to Texas.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 PM

203 posts, read 120,321 times
The southern parts of Arizona (Tucson) or New Mexico (Albuquerque or Las Cruces). Or perhaps El Paso. Dry, mild winters, lots of nearby mountains in which to hike. Austin ($$$) has nice hills but they're just that -- hills, which are relatively low and somewhat monotonous.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,246,808 times
As an old Texan, I would advise you to take your wish list and see what you absolutely HAVE to have, if you are considering Texas.

You will not get 70-90 degrees most of the year, good outdoor activities, water nearby, and low humidity all in the same place in Texas. Unfortunately. Many cities have one or more of your wish list, but none have all.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 PM

523 posts, read 1,363,299 times
Default Honestly El Paso!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would check out El Paso,OP.
is very hot most of the year...easily gets to over 100 most days in the summer. Also it is very hard to get a job here..I don't know how he could find a singing job here, maybe get in a local band..! Texas is not as cheap as it once was because of all the transplants living here and it is not a good thing for us natives that were born and raised here! ALabama and Mississippi are cheaper than ELP and most of Texas!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Well, my husband and I just got back from AZ and if it's low humidity and hiking that you want, I'd recommend AZ. Personally, though it was a nice place to visit, it's way too dry for my own preferences, and the skin on my hands and feet and lips got so dry it was cracking. For me, 19 percent humidity is just way too low but YMMV. Also, anywhere where there are signs EVERYWHERE about fire danger levels is a bit unsettling, but I'm sure people just get used to it.

Beautiful in an austere way is how I'd put it.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:24 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,168,025 times
I would look towards West Texas Allergies are bad in central Texas. Humidity takes awhile to get use too. I agree Arizona or Nevada would be a better fit. Renting with a pet is expensive if they accept pets at all. I would leave the dog behind until you buy your own home. I would count on 1300 for rent. 1000 doesnt get you much even in the suburbs.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,259,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
is very hot most of the year...easily gets to over 100 most days in the summer. Also it is very hard to get a job here..I don't know how he could find a singing job here, maybe get in a local band..! Texas is not as cheap as it once was because of all the transplants living here and it is not a good thing for us natives that were born and raised here! ALabama and Mississippi are cheaper than ELP and most of Texas!
the average summer high in El Paso is not 100 so i think you are exaggerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas