Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:20 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It's not that Austin's nightlife consists of a single street. It's that outside of that street, Austin's nightlife is blown out the water by the other 2 cities.
Bingo.

I still think 6th is the best single street in Texas. Austin has incredible nightlife for a metro of about 2 million. Dallas and Houston punch below their weight for the 4th and 5th largest metros nightlife wise, but they still hit heavier than Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Dallas isn't the 4th largest metro. Dallas-Fort Worth is. You can't expect Dallas' nightlife to compare to that of Houston or other similar sized cities.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:11 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Dallas isn't the 4th largest metro. Dallas-Fort Worth is. You can't expect Dallas' nightlife to compare to that of Houston or other similar sized cities.
Dallas nightlife is on par if not even better in some aspects than Houston. I live in Houston btw and the city has a good nightlife scene but could use a Deep Ellum or even something like Uptown. That gives Dallas more vibrant concentrated areas. Houston has Main st. And blocks in that area downtown that are alive and well, and Eado is walkable but parking is a complete mess and their still doing construction on roads so it hasn’t reached its full potential. Midtown is another happening spot that has some walkable areas but continuity is still lacking as of now. Montrose isn’t that walkable outside a few areas. Washington is also not very walkable. You also have City Centre which is cool every now and than but everything else is pretty much spread out or you need a car.

Dallas has Downtown/Bishop Arts District/Lower Greenville/Addison/Deep Ellum/Oaklawn/Uptown plus other nightlife options similar to what Houston has. I’d even say their suburbs like Plano offer much more than anything in The Woodlands, Pearland or Sugar Land. So why Dallas is a smaller city than Houston, it’s still the primary city in the metroplex and everything including nightlife is mostly centered in Dallas.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:08 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Sorry for not being clear, it is my own fault. I did not mean to say that Dallas' nightlife, as in excluding Tarran County, is worse than Houston's but rather that it should offer less simply because of the size difference. If Dallas offers nearly as much or more, something I do not feel I can personally judge, than thats a good thing: it shows Dallas punches above its weight and/or Houston punches below its weight in the category.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
DFW is only slightly geographically larger than Houston. The Nightlife is pretty comparable. Deep Ellum is more concentrated and walkable than Houston. Fort Worth is spread out from Dallas, but the Houston Nightlife is more spread out in general than Dallas.

I prefer Dallas's nightlife simply because you have concentrated areas like Deep Ellum, but Houston and DFW are about on par.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:56 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Nope, the Texas triangle ends in Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth and San Antonio all of which are crossroads of multiple interstates and have 1 million plus population in the main city.

Austin is tech, university and government.
Houston is energy and aeronautics.
San Antonio is tourism and the military.
DFW is tech, tel comm, finance and the most economically diverse of the big Texas cities.

What Aeronautics in Houston do you speak of? NASA maybe? Houston's three key economic units are
1. Energy
2. Healthcare - the largest medical complex anywhere;
3. Shipping/trade - Houston/Galveston seaports

Old 07-03-2019, 07:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
This is pretty spot on.
Austin's not competing with Portland and really neither is Nashville. Portland's economy is NOwhere as robust as the other two. It suffers from location (Pacific NW), i.e. not centralized and is overshadowed by Seattle 170 miles to the north. It doesn't have a major university, those are couple hours to the south like Austin or Nashville. Its not event the state's Capital city as are the other two.

Nashville is not as competitive as it used to be with Austin, as evidence by the latter's growth far surpassing the former the last 15 years, both in population and high profile companies. In 1990, Nashville had 45,000 more residents, not Austin has over 180,000 more residents, a swing of 220K in 27 years. Nashville has an excellent University in Vanderbilt but its a smallish, private college whereas UT-Austin is huge institution with a lot of money and prestige for a public school.

Austin population
1990465,62234.6%2000656,56241.0%2010790,39020.4%Est. 2018964,254[99]22.0%

Nashville population

1990510,7846.9%2000569,89111.6%2010626,68110.0%Est. 2017691,243[4]10.3%

Nashville scoring an Amazon mini-hub was a big get for them but ATX has had a mini-hub for a few years and Amazon just announced they are taking a whole office tower in the Domain development there. Google is taking ownership of a brand new 37 story tower downtown. Oracle opened a brand new campus across the freeway from downtown. Apple has a six building campus in north Austin and announced plans to build a second $1bln campus a mile away.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:22 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
DFW is only slightly geographically larger than Houston. The Nightlife is pretty comparable. Deep Ellum is more concentrated and walkable than Houston. Fort Worth is spread out from Dallas, but the Houston Nightlife is more spread out in general than Dallas.

I prefer Dallas's nightlife simply because you have concentrated areas like Deep Ellum, but Houston and DFW are about on par.
Houston’s nightlife is concentrated along Midtown, Main St and more recently EaDo. It’s not as spread out as you think. Deep Ellum itself is more spread out than Houston as a whole but that’s like saying Midtown or Monteose are more concentrated than Dallas.

There’s also more to do in Dallas than just Deep Ellum. Deep Ellum is just hot right now as Midtown is in Houston.

In my opinion, Houston has Dallas beat with clubs, and Dallas has Houston beat with bars. Which both are important. They end up being about on par with eachother as you said. Austin is lessser because there’s less to do, even though what there is to do is great.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:18 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Houston’s nightlife is concentrated along Midtown, Main St and more recently EaDo. It’s not as spread out as you think. Deep Ellum itself is more spread out than Houston as a whole but that’s like saying Midtown or Monteose are more concentrated than Dallas.

There’s also more to do in Dallas than just Deep Ellum. Deep Ellum is just hot right now as Midtown is in Houston.

In my opinion, Houston has Dallas beat with clubs, and Dallas has Houston beat with bars. Which both are important. They end up being about on par with eachother as you said. Austin is lessser because there’s less to do, even though what there is to do is great.
I don't think Austin necessarily has less to do, actually has quite to do especially for a city its size. The problem I have with Austin is, the nightlife scene isn't as diverse as Houston or Dallas.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Of course, I'm just using Deep Ellum as an example because besides 6th it's the most "Dense" section of nightlife in the state.

Deep Ellum, Uptown, Knox Henderson, Southside and even The Design District and Bishop Arts are all only a few min away from eachother. Dallas nightlife is definitely more concentrated than Houston, as much as I like Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas