Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Texas the south, the southwest or just Texas?
The South 46 38.98%
The southwest 15 12.71%
Texas all its on uniqueness 50 42.37%
Just a combo of all that is America 7 5.93%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:17 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,172,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The civil war didn't end slavery for those Africans it freed, it made all citizens regardless of skin colour slaves to the American government.
So you're comparing your relationship to the US government to what African slaves went through. That's all kinds of messed up. Let's kidnap you, stick you on a boat with little food and clothing to be shipped to another continent. After that, we'll strip you of most of your clothes, stick you in chains, whip you, and auction you off to the highest bidder to work in the cotton fields during a Texas summer. After all of that, will you still have the same opinion? What about after your spouse and children are sold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 01:13 PM

431 posts, read 254,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Stop bitching and crying that I called some dead White folks racist,sexist and pieces of ****. I just made a factual comment. To participate in the enslavement of Human Beings is a barbaric and inhumane act. You stated you were an immigrant so technically your on the outside looking in on history that doesn't directly or indirectly affect you or your ancestors. Me on the other hand, i'm a descendant of those Africans enslaved by those racist,sexiest, entitled White settlers.

Also let's look at the definition of racism

Knowing that, any and every person that were involved in CHATTEL slavery were in deed a racist. To enslave a human being especially the way America or any other European nation enslaved them via Chattel Slavery is the belief that these group of people are inferior therefore should be enslaved and treated as property.

Now slavery was normal business to those who benefited the most from it or those who believed in the ideology of White Supremacy. But, don't use that tired ass excuse that it was the norm 200 years ago and we shouldn't look at history with a modern day lens. That's bs for the simple fact abolitionist existed just as long as the institution of slavery in this country. Oh yeah, enslaved people were against the dehumanization, separation of family, cultural assimilation , emasculation, literally rape of women,children and men, and the act of breeding Human beings all for the sake of profit. There were plenty of runaways, maroon communities for runaways, and revolts on plantations. But let you tell it, the good white slave owners considered enslaved people as partners and they took turns working the cotton fields. They held hands, skipped and sang songs under the Cypress trees together. Such a good Slave owner they were. LOL

European nations were "introduced" by some African Individuals within a tribe. Not an entire "TRIBE" also many African ethnic groups resisted and fought Europeans that came to the Continent for the slave trade. That happen more often then the "assistance" of African individuals. There you go, oversimplifying history and not putting things into a proper context because of your love for these historical figures.

Also, no **** other nations participated in the Atlantic slave trade before America was a nation. We're talking specifically about the southern culture that it is embedded in the state of Texas. I'm not referring to Spain or Portugal or Rome or Mesopotamia. We're talking about Texas.

It's funny you being an immigrant to this country should be thanking the descendants of those enslaved by White "settlers". If it wasn't for the Civil Rights movement you would still be in Latin America. Go study immigration acts prior to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights of 1965 and see how much better your life is thanks in large part by Black Americans. Some nerve

Bottom line, if you don't like what I type nobody is forcing you to read it. Scroll past it and GET OVER IT.
No, I'll respond if it's OK with you. The basis is of thread was whether Texas is southern or not. In my opinion, it is not because of it's distinct history. In your opinion it is, and that would be an interesting enough topic to argue but you throw in the race card as to the justification as to why it is "southern". Racism existed, still exist and always will albeit not to the extent that has in the past; due mostly to the human condition of self worth. You are not a slave any more than you can claim to be a descendant of African kings and queens. In other words, according to what you are saying, your descendants were slaves, but you are not.

Even after slavery was abolished, racism still was common in the United States. Northern states weren't immune to this either. The big cities of the north just did a better job of segregating their minorities but it certainly was not a warm and welcoming environment for any minority people. Civil right battles were fought and people of all races sacrificed to bring forward laws that would end discrimination for blacks and other minorities including Hispanics. True civil right heroes like MLK that envisioned a better world for all was able to articulate this message better than any modern day want-to-be activist can. These laws that protect us all against discrimination have been in place for many years now, but you cant legislate peoples feelings or thoughts. You noted the correct definition of "racism", but now we are being convinced that simply making comments like "black people like chicken or Mexicans like beans" is a racist statement. And God forbid if a leader of a nation says we have to protect our borders and build a wall because people are coming in illegally; is that racist?? You could argue these things are insensitive, but not racist. I refuse to buy into that newly created rhetoric of modern day society, media or popular culture that compartmentalizes human issues when convenient. Germany slaughtered millions of Jews, Imperial Japan considered itself the superior Asiatic race, Spain under catholic rule slaughtered Jews and Muslims during the inquisition, The English thought of the Scots and Irish as inferior people, and yes Europeans enslaved African people in which the last remnants of that was in the American south. But it is over and it is now time to learn from the past not hold grudges. The left wants so bad to create controversy and political discourse that it applauds fake activists like Kaepernick and champions causes that are morally wrong while trying to tie everything to the sins of our fathers.

We don't know each other and yet I sense we both have a mutual dislike of one another solely based on this interaction. I assume in your mind you might as well be arguing with a racist trying to hold on to his racist ways but I explained who I am, I'm a Texan. I wasn't born here but I got here as soon as I could. I've been here over 95% (40 plus years) of my life so I'm hardly an outsider. I know there is still people that discriminate, but there is nothing I can do about that. What I can do is be good to my fellow man in which I give the benefit of the doubt that most folks are good and decedent people.

So in closing to soap box, I ask a question. What do you want done for the sins of the past? For one, I'm happy and blessed with what I worked for and for what Texas is today.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:11 PM

431 posts, read 254,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
The problem with most Texans is they are incredibly ignorant of the history of their own state. Full Stop.

Texas Culture has been Dominated by Southern Culture. That's just the facts.
I think unfortunately most people know very little history in general, not just Texans. I personally like history and probably know a little more than most but some might take offense to being called ignorant. I do agree with your historical references however. Texas was settled mostly by Americans from southern states during Mexican rule, Republic status and statehood. This southern culture certainly influenced the make up of the state but that same southern culture would start to adapt to the existing culture that was already here. Albeit east Texas maintained that more authentic southern culture feel. The largest cities in the state in the early to mid 1800's were San Antonio, Galveston and Brownsville (if I'm not mistaken). All which are in the southern part of the state. Historically, these cities and the surrounding areas are where most of the "American" migration headed to. So I would argue that southern culture quickly changed due to the heavy Mexican influence in those areas. Many were introduced to the Mexican Vaquero lifestyle which would later create the Cowboy culture for the American and some European settlers that would start to populate the state.

That is part of the reasoning as to why I believe that Texas is not southern, but uniquely Texan. Factor in the vast size and the diverse geography of the state and that to me sets it apart.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:02 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,358,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Counties in red are in the South. Those in blue or any other color our not.

Our definition of "Southern culture" largely comes from the culture that is built around and influenced by the Southern Baptist church. From the experiences I've had and people I know from Amarillo, that town is definitely still the South even if it doesn't look like it aesthetically.
This just in, New Orleans not in the South but part of western Nebraska is

Old 12-10-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
There is definitely truth in that but the Southern Baptists adherence in Texas the numbers are not nearly as widespread now as it was 60 years ago due to a higher Latino population (Catholic leaning) and more Asian residents. Just look at the fact that Texas is now a majority-minority state in population.

Amarillo as far west as it is I tend to see as being more like New Mexico than Alabama. I could see Abilene as more like the deep south, especially with Abilene Christian University. But Amarillo, well that's a frontier mentality out there with wide open spaces and cattle ranch country.
I lived in Abilene. It's not the Deep South in any way shape or form. It's got a western spirit that I admire. People do tend to be very Christian but unlike the Deep South, they don't really push that crap on anyone. It's also very diverse and I saw so many interracial couples when I lived there (including my own)

Old 12-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Nah..I definitely hear the similarities...easily...especially in present times.
As they say in Missouri: show me.

I would argue that in Saint Louis, the accent is more like Minneapolis than Dallas. Southern Missouri, I can understand.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:46 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,243,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I lived in Abilene. It's not the Deep South in any way shape or form. It's got a western spirit that I admire. People do tend to be very Christian but unlike the Deep South, they don't really push that crap on anyone. It's also very diverse and I saw so many interracial couples when I lived there (including my own)
I do agree that Abilene is not Deep Southern and it is very Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas