Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Texas the south, the southwest or just Texas?
The South 46 38.98%
The southwest 15 12.71%
Texas all its on uniqueness 50 42.37%
Just a combo of all that is America 7 5.93%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 05:18 PM

431 posts, read 257,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
A 150-year old grudge that white southerners such as yourself still carry on to this very day as well. I'm sure you're in denial of that though.
You might be right, if I was a white southerner. I'm an immigrant from Latin America. I've been here most my life but I know the ways of most Latin American countries and their politics. I know enough to realize that despite all it's imperfections, America (U.S) is still the greatest country the world and I'm not ashamed to say Texas is the greatest state. IMO

So there is no denial, just my 3rd party perspective. I don't care to listen to folks crying about crimes of the past, especially 150 years ago. Get over it, move on accept what life gives you.

By the way, as I said I'm not a southerner, but I am a Texan....Yippee-ki-yay....#####.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 05:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Having lived in Texas, Georgia, and Virginia, Georgia never struck me as highly diverse. Its overwhelmingly a black/white populace.
I didn't do the study.

I lived in Georgia for ten years by the way, and Virginia and Maryland for a total of about 7 years.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:17 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What? The Dallas accent is a southern twang. St. Louis' dialect is Midwestern. How on earth are they similar in dialect? I used to have a professor when I went to UNT (Denton) who was from St. Louis and her accent sounded similar to Chicago's... nothing at all like Dallas'.
Nah..I definitely hear the similarities...easily...especially in present times.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:14 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
I sense a bit of discourse or maybe bitterness in your views. The population of Texas in the 1860's was roughly 600,000 people; of which about 180,000 were slaves. As you mentioned, many had come to Texas from other states such as Tennessee, Missouri and others. This was at the request of the Mexican government when Texas was under Mexican rule to encourage migration and help grow population that already included the Mexican "Tejanos" and German immigrants. Mexico abolished slavery sometime around 1830 which made many of the slave owners very unhappy, but that was not the sole reason for the Texas Republic declaring it's independence from Mexico. However, this DOES NOT make it a racist society. To paint a generation of people as being racist and sexist goes along with modern day leftist ideologies. Although I'll agree with many of the points you made as being historically correct, you are basing your personal feelings on a generation of people from 200 years ago that were raised a certain way in order to make a living. As horrific as slavery was, the owners of such slaves were not considered "racists" back in those days or sexist by any means. Having slaves for many was a way of life. Although most owners were good to their slaves, there are accounts of brutal men who did terrible things. Unfortunately, that was the way of life for many cultures throughout the world. The European nations that introduced the African slave trade were assisted by other African tribes in many cases; or was that just something added by "white" historians? Spain, Portugal, England and others utilized this trade for many years (centuries) before America (U.S) was even a nation and they were also some of the nations to outlaw slavery. Focusing in on "white settlers" as the root cause of a state, region or nation to be considered so called racist, is to me a self petty of 150 year old grudge that many people need to let go.

I believe this thread was to once again raise a polarizing but friendly conversation that Texas (although it is in the south), is not a "southern" state but a unique blend of cultures; and yes that includes the American southern culture. As I've said before and many may have stated already, the sheer size and geography, history and location of the state of Texas makes it uniquely Texan, not southern, in my opinion.
Stop bitching and crying that I called some dead White folks racist,sexist and pieces of ****. I just made a factual comment. To participate in the enslavement of Human Beings is a barbaric and inhumane act. You stated you were an immigrant so technically your on the outside looking in on history that doesn't directly or indirectly affect you or your ancestors. Me on the other hand, i'm a descendant of those Africans enslaved by those racist,sexiest, entitled White settlers.

Also let's look at the definition of racism

Quote:
Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another. It may also include prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone because they are of a different race or ethnicity, or the belief that members of different races or ethnicities should be treated differently.[1][2][3] Modern variants are often based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples. These can take the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities.
Knowing that, any and every person that were involved in CHATTEL slavery were in deed a racist. To enslave a human being especially the way America or any other European nation enslaved them via Chattel Slavery is the belief that these group of people are inferior therefore should be enslaved and treated as property.

Now slavery was normal business to those who benefited the most from it or those who believed in the ideology of White Supremacy. But, don't use that tired ass excuse that it was the norm 200 years ago and we shouldn't look at history with a modern day lens. That's bs for the simple fact abolitionist existed just as long as the institution of slavery in this country. Oh yeah, enslaved people were against the dehumanization, separation of family, cultural assimilation , emasculation, literally rape of women,children and men, and the act of breeding Human beings all for the sake of profit. There were plenty of runaways, maroon communities for runaways, and revolts on plantations. But let you tell it, the good white slave owners considered enslaved people as partners and they took turns working the cotton fields. They held hands, skipped and sang songs under the Cypress trees together. Such a good Slave owner they were. LOL

European nations were "introduced" by some African Individuals within a tribe. Not an entire "TRIBE" also many African ethnic groups resisted and fought Europeans that came to the Continent for the slave trade. That happen more often then the "assistance" of African individuals. There you go, oversimplifying history and not putting things into a proper context because of your love for these historical figures.

Also, no **** other nations participated in the Atlantic slave trade before America was a nation. We're talking specifically about the southern culture that it is embedded in the state of Texas. I'm not referring to Spain or Portugal or Rome or Mesopotamia. We're talking about Texas.

It's funny you being an immigrant to this country should be thanking the descendants of those enslaved by White "settlers". If it wasn't for the Civil Rights movement you would still be in Latin America. Go study immigration acts prior to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights of 1965 and see how much better your life is thanks in large part by Black Americans. Some nerve

Bottom line, if you don't like what I type nobody is forcing you to read it. Scroll past it and GET OVER IT.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:16 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
"Our bbq is more like other parts of the south(much better) were not centered around brisket like the rest of the state". NOT buying that at all! I've tasted bbq east of Texas...there's some good spots but not much when it comes to beef and that sorry vinegar-based stuff that prevails in the Carolinas needs to go!
I meant to say East Texas BBQ is much better and is similar to other parts of the south because it uses the pig a lot more than other parts of Texas. Texas bar none has the best BBQ in the south and honestly to me in the entire states. I just happen to think East Texas has the best BBQ in the state.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I meant to say East Texas BBQ is much better and is similar to other parts of the south because it uses the pig a lot more than other parts of Texas. Texas bar none has the best BBQ in the south and honestly to me in the entire states. I just happen to think East Texas has the best BBQ in the state.
I totally agree! Hell, I don't even particularly LIKE BBQ and I like East Texas BBQ.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:51 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
I'm an immigrant from Latin America. I've been here most my life but I know the ways of most Latin American countries and their politics. I know enough to realize that despite all it's imperfections, America (U.S) is still the greatest country the world and I'm not ashamed to say Texas is the greatest state. IMO

So there is no denial, just my 3rd party perspective. I don't care to listen to folks crying about crimes of the past, especially 150 years ago. Get over it, move on accept what life gives you.

Well, I'm quite aware of Latinos and the anti-black racism many of you have and certainly don't need anyone like you telling me how in hell I should feel about anything with your condescending lectures, especially as an outsider looking in.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 07-24-2019 at 07:02 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 07:08 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Here, here Redlionjr.! I'm baffled as well that anyone can defend slavery, especially immigrants. Don't they realize that they wouldn't be viewed as "white" if they had come here before the Civil Rights Act and what that would mean for them? I am in a biracial marriage with a husband who is an immigrant (now US citizen). It blows my kids' minds when we talk to them about how it used to be illegal for us to marry and about how thankful they need to be for the civil rights pioneers who came before them. They have trouble understanding it because they live in a very diverse area that's full of biracial and multiracial families and have been fortunate enough not to experience discrimination.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:54 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
You might be right, if I was a white southerner. I'm an immigrant from Latin America. I've been here most my life but I know the ways of most Latin American countries and their politics. I know enough to realize that despite all it's imperfections, America (U.S) is still the greatest country the world and I'm not ashamed to say Texas is the greatest state. IMO

By the way, as I said I'm not a southerner, but I am a Texan....Yippee-ki-yay....#####.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
The civil war didn't end slavery for those Africans it freed, it made all citizens regardless of skin colour slaves to the American government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas