Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 12:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I read the 1st one. It just shows the Data.

The 2nd one is ok, but lots of speculation. The jump is small. Could be more students are being counted, could be more kids moving from the rest of East Texas, or could be boomerang kids...Millennials are finally in the position that with enough experience in the workforce, they might consider moving to their home town.

For Millenials who move to a smaller town, the vast majority I know did so because they grew up there or had family connections. Heck, I will hopefully eventually be part of this stat.

So maybe more Millenials are boomeranging back? Antidotal of course, but while I know several people from that neck of the woods, I don't know anyone who wasn't originally from there who has moved there. And I have known people who have moved just about everywhere.

Yeah, Dallas has a ton of lower-income less well-educated people. Dallas also has a huge immigrant community who in many cases tend to have more kids. That is actually the biggest driver of keeping Texas as such a young state to begin with.
Well, your assertion was that the reason Tyler has a population that's getting younger (and is below the already young state median age) was because people are less educated and therefore have kids younger. That's the assertion that I was responding to, because that's not at all what the articles said or even implied. And apparently that is NOT the reason for Tyler's low median age for that matter.

I've never stated that millennials (just one of several different generations and age groups in Texas for that matter) are specifically moving TO Tyler en masse if they don't already have some sort of connection here. I agree - people tend to move to Tyler because they are already familiar with the area. But of course I'm not counting the many, many medical and educational professionals who move here from all over the nation and the world. But those aren't generally millennials, though they do bring a lot of money and professionalism into this market.

Speaking of anecdotal stuff - I've got one. I live in an upscale neighborhood here. I have yet to meet a person or family who isn't well educated - and well heeled. We are one of three families out of forty three, that are over 50 years old, in the neighborhood. Every single other family is younger - and without exception they have at least two kids, some have even more. From what I can gather, most families have two working parents in professional fields.

I am getting to know our new neighbors and so far, most of them are from East Texas. I haven't met these people yet but there is a couple here who I believe immigrated to Tyler from an African country. I believe one or both of them are medical professionals of some sort. So they would have probably moved here for professional reasons. There are also a few families from other regions of Texas so I am not sure what brought them here. When I find out more I'll update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 03:49 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0y88 View Post
Frisco. There's alot of HQs in Plano and Frisco is just close enough to provide homes for workers and executives alike. It's also clean and safe, even if it lacks personality or character.

Yep, the 2020 census should show a 200,000 population approximately, for both Frisco and McKinney. Ridiculous growth, for me, IMHO. If you are alive and want a job that pays well, yep those are two of the choicest places in Texas, by far. Two, soon to be mega booming suburbs, just because they are IN the DFW metro area. Employers, jobs, or labor pool, employers jobs. Whichever, they just feed each other well, lol.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, your assertion was that the reason Tyler has a population that's getting younger (and is below the already young state median age) was because people are less educated and therefore have kids younger. That's the assertion that I was responding to, because that's not at all what the articles said or even implied. And apparently that is NOT the reason for Tyler's low median age for that matter.
Based on the data it seems you may very well be correct on this one.

I will say this. A significant part of what makes Tyler young is people have kids young there, regardless of if that has been the reason it has gotten younger or not that is a big part of why it is young to begin with.

Dallas and Houston don't rate very high on well-educated metros either, for the record and this is certainly a big reason why they skew young.

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/most-and...d-cities/6656/

I mean neither does LA, so it isn't the be-all have all.

It can even be seen as a positive if you follow the Joel Kotkin line of thought that they are "Opportunity cities" and the fact that many less well-educated people move there is a mark of how successful they are, but that's a different discussion altogether.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Based on the data it seems you may very well be correct on this one.

I will say this. A significant part of what makes Tyler young is people have kids young there, regardless of if that has been the reason it has gotten younger or not that is a big part of why it is young to begin with.

Dallas and Houston don't rate very high on well-educated metros either, for the record and this is certainly a big reason why they skew young.

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/most-and...d-cities/6656/

I mean neither does LA, so it isn't the be-all have all.

It can even be seen as a positive if you follow the Joel Kotkin line of thought that they are "Opportunity cities" and the fact that many less well-educated people move there is a mark of how successful they are, but that's a different discussion altogether.
You are really, really stuck on this "less educated people move to or live in Tyler and have kids young" thing. But I'd really like to see some evidence. The links I've been providing do NOT point in that direction.

This is actually pretty easy information to find online. For instance, take Austin - it's got the highest overall level of education per capita in Texas and one of the lowest median ages. Hmm... but you'll say it's because recent college grads move there. Well, the largest growth age range in Tyler has also been 21-29 year olds so there's that...

Here's a good interactive map that shows the level of education per county in Texas. Tyler is in Smith County by the way, in case you didn't know. https://statisticalatlas.com/state/T...nal-Attainment

Just for the record, Texas is not a stellar state in general when it comes to educational levels. I mean, it's pretty middle of the pack. Tyler is above average in that middle of the pack.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You are really, really stuck on this "less educated people move to or live in Tyler and have kids young" thing. But I'd really like to see some evidence. The links I've been providing do NOT point in that direction.

This is actually pretty easy information to find online. For instance, take Austin - it's got the highest overall level of education per capita in Texas and one of the lowest median ages. Hmm... but you'll say it's because recent college grads move there. Well, the largest growth age range in Tyler has also been 21-29 year olds so there's that...

Here's a good interactive map that shows the level of education per county in Texas. Tyler is in Smith County by the way, in case you didn't know. https://statisticalatlas.com/state/T...nal-Attainment

Just for the record, Texas is not a stellar state in general when it comes to educational levels. I mean, it's pretty middle of the pack. Tyler is above average in that middle of the pack.
Tyler and Austin could be young for two different reasons.

Tyler is statistically less educated than Austin. Less well-educated people statistically get married younger.

What the article you posted showed was Tyler showed an increase in young people moving there, not that that they are a hot spot for that to begin with.

Austin is a well-known place young people relocate to.

I would guess Austin is primarily younger than average because young people move there, and secondarily because of families.

I would guess Tyler is primarily young because people start having families younger and secondarily because these young people are moving to Tyler from East Texas (and then having families younger)

What you have shown is an increase in younger people moving to Tyler recently, but that doesn't exclude the very likely possibility that less educated people are doing what they statistically do and that is having kids at a younger age.

Do you think Tyler bucks the trend and people with lower education levels in Tyler wait longer to have kids vs other places? Why would that be the case?

According to the stats you posted Tyler has a relative education attainment for higher than HS pegged at 2.3 less than the state average. So Tyler is less educated than the state as a whole.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Tyler is statistically less educated than Austin. Less well-educated people statistically get married younger.

What the article you posted showed was Tyler showed an increase in young people moving there, not that that they are a hot spot for that to begin with.

I would guess Austin is primarily younger than average because young people move there, and secondarily because of families.

I would guess Tyler is primarily young because people start having families younger and secondarily because these young people are moving to Tyler from East Texas (and then having families younger)

What you have shown is an increase in younger people moving to Tyler recently, but that doesn't exclude the very likely possibility that less educated people are doing what they statistically do and that is having kids at a younger age.

Do you think Tyler bucks the trend and people with lower education levels in Tyler wait longer to have kids vs other places? Why would that be the case?

According to the stats you posted Tyler has a relative education attainment for higher than HS pegged at 2.3 less than the state average. So Tyler is less educated than the state as a whole.
Not sure where you're getting this info. The link I posted shows that Tyler's educational level is at the state level and actually a little above it. Tyler is NOT below the state average.

Also I want to point out that you are full of guesses but I have posted actual statistics and sources.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Oh my bad, I was looking at Texas vs the Nation.

It seems Tyler is slightly below the state average on only HS diplomas, at the state average for College, and above for people with advanced degrees. So yeah, slightly more educated than the state as a whole.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:22 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I could see someone moving to Abilene or San Angelo if they were tired of life in the Big 4 and were retired or could find a good job or wanted to raise family in smaller place.Abilene and San Angelo aint as isolated as some other places in Texas like Midland/Odessa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas