Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 04:11 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottrouble View Post
It always amazes me when people think everyone in the USA should speak english

They "should". Its the first language of the vast majority of the populace in addition to the primary language of commerce, politics, education, science, medicine, popular culture, etc... Of course its a free country and one can choose to never learn it or learn it well. The cost is being linguistically isolated and handicapped. Basically, I don't know why it would "amaze" you that many people would think that everyone should be able to speak English in the USA. It only makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,027,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I think one of the confusing issues for some people (not you, you're in Texas) is that we have those checkpoints so far into Texas, not just at the border. I've been through the Falfurrias checkpoint, also the one to the east, outside of Kingsville (can't remember the name). Nobody ever asked me or my family for anything. "Are you an American citizen?" "Yes." One time had my kid sleeping in the back seat, we were driving from South Padre to Corpus. "Is she an American citizen?" "Yep". That was it.
I agree. Something triggered suspicion on the part of the border agents - maybe the fact that these boys couldn't speak English. Normally it's a quick question or two and on your way.

To your point about the additional checkpoints I wonder if people realize that Mexicans cross the border every day to shop in McAllen and other border cities? It's very common.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:31 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
I know the bridge El Paso/Juarez was always busy with both cars and pedestrians coming and going for shopping, working or what other reasons and yes, checkpoints up well into the area away from the border. Every bridge I ever crossed was usually pretty busy. Things the way they are now I don't know how it is.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:44 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Well hey, half the native born anglos & blacks in Texas don’t speak proper English themselves.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:49 AM

18 posts, read 21,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
They "should". Its the first language of the vast majority of the populace in addition to the primary language of commerce, politics, education, science, medicine, popular culture, etc... Of course its a free country and one can choose to never learn it or learn it well. The cost is being linguistically isolated and handicapped. Basically, I don't know why it would "amaze" you that many people would think that everyone should be able to speak English in the USA. It only makes sense.
Show me a law that says you must speak english. I grew up with one set of grandparents that spoke Czech and english, and other set spoke spanish and english, in our home mom spoke to us in spanish, dad in english. I think all americans SHOULD be bi-lingual. Tantos americanos son tan stupido.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottrouble View Post
Show me a law that says you must speak english. I grew up with one set of grandparents that spoke Czech and english, and other set spoke spanish and english, in our home mom spoke to us in spanish, dad in english. I think all americans SHOULD be bi-lingual. Tantos americanos son tan stupido.
Well, alrighty then!

Old 07-29-2019, 04:34 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
He speaks English. He didn't want to use it because he thought they were trying to "trick him into signing a removal order". His mother lied when obtaining a tourist visa for him claiming he was born in Mexico. Yep, "Galicia’s mother used a different name on his birth certificate and said he was born in Mexico because of her immigration status. This name change meant she wasn’t able to request a U.S. passport for him. She applied for a tourist visa with inaccurate information". Oh, excuse me, I shouldn't have said lied, I should have said inaccurate. Hmmm, looks like I'm not the only one who thinks a person who will lie about one thing will lie about another.

Always more to a story than meets the eye. I'd almost venture to say this entire thing is likely another ploy by the politicians to keep the fires going over this immigration controversy. Throw some money to a family such a this and why wouldn't they accept it? Give them the narrative to the plot's story line, coach them on acting it out and why not? It's not like they have any loyalty to America and in fact, it would be beneficial to them and all the rest of their family still coming into the US.

America - use to be land of the free. Now? America - land of total propaganda. I guess I'm just too suspicious of all of this crap anymore and I try to ignore it so don't know why I responded to this post. lol I know for sure I'm going to regret it.
Could you share the source of this? I´d like to see the other angle.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I didn't save the link, but just google his name and numerous links come up and this info is in many of them.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:07 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I didn't save the link, but just google his name and numerous links come up and this info is in many of them.
The feds still need to find out why an American was detained at the border for three weeks
Filed under Editorials at 7 hours ago

Law enforcement officials did not act wholly without reason when they first detained the family. Others in the car, including Galicia's brother, did not have proper identification. Galicia's mother also falsely claimed he was born in Mexico while filing for a U.S. tourist visa years ago, according to their lawyer.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/e...er-three-weeks

Old 07-29-2019, 10:16 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well hey, half the native born anglos & blacks in Texas don’t speak proper English themselves.
You are free to move to Yankeeland at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas