Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM

9 posts, read 5,752 times

Advertisements

I didn’t post on here to get into Drama of the Internet. Comments of encouragement, healthy criticism of areas and just life in Texas for you where you live are welcome. All the other stuff find another thread please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 11:42 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,282 times
OP, I can't say what a good rental 2 br home is today, but my wife and I rented a small (1100 sq.ft.) 2 bed/1 bath house back in 1996 for two years in Temple, TX. It was in an average neighborhood, nothing special, nothing bad. Had a small back yard and a 1 car garage. Not even close to a park or walking area. It was $1250/month then.

Maybe I overpaid. Maybe not. Our landlord was very good and the house was clean and well kept. I'm guessing your budget is too low for what you are looking for.

Also, will your husband park his truck/trailer at the house? If not, then no worries. If so, you will almost certainly be way outside of town.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTX View Post
OP, I can't say what a good rental 2 br home is today, but my wife and I rented a small (1100 sq.ft.) 2 bed/1 bath house back in 1996 for two years in Temple, TX. It was in an average neighborhood, nothing special, nothing bad. Had a small back yard and a 1 car garage. Not even close to a park or walking area. It was $1250/month then.

Maybe I overpaid. Maybe not. Our landlord was very good and the house was clean and well kept. I'm guessing your budget is too low for what you are looking for.

Also, will your husband park his truck/trailer at the house? If not, then no worries. If so, you will almost certainly be way outside of town.
I understand & again this is why I choose to join city data... to get a feel for what Texas is like for rentals & areas what they offer. If we have to pay more we pay more... nobody WANTS to buy sometimes you do but trying to see what area is worth it. We don’t want a gated community, (since a big rig will be at the home, yes the tractor & trailer most times) If we need to live an hr away from the city then so be it... we just hope to find a landlord, pay rent see you when it’s time to sign the lease again or if something major happens to the home & respect with neighbors.... it’s not that hard I hope.
Thank you for posting what you paid and when.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
OP I am not trying to discourage you but I am trying to give you good info on Texas. Your budget sounds like it will afford you an apartment possibly but nearly certainly not a house. Now I'm not saying you can't find one, especially in a very small town that's sort of isolated, but it will really be a challenge.

Most single family home rental prices start at around $1200 a month and go up from there. Apartments start at a lower price point.

Here's some good info on Tyler State Park, by the way.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/tyler

And here's info on state parks in Texas - there are lots of them!
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP I am not trying to discourage you but I am trying to give you good info on Texas. Your budget sounds like it will afford you an apartment possibly but nearly certainly not a house. Now I'm not saying you can't find one, especially in a very small town that's sort of isolated, but it will really be a challenge.

Most single family home rental prices start at around $1200 a month and go up from there. Apartments start at a lower price point.

Here's some good info on Tyler State Park, by the way.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/tyler

And here's info on state parks in Texas - there are lots of them!
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/
I do appreciate your information. We have never lived in Texas... lol that’s why I am here for advice. Yes we do want a private home so if we have to pay more we will. Thank you so much for the links about the parks! I brought up the state of Texas and the map of parks!! So many exploring!!!
We can’t move until September so for now I will post ads on Craigslist for a home in some of the areas we checked out that you listed, to see what is being offered.
We will hope for the best, something will work out eventually

Old 07-30-2019, 06:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlsmom View Post
I do appreciate your information. We have never lived in Texas... lol that’s why I am here for advice. Yes we do want a private home so if we have to pay more we will. Thank you so much for the links about the parks! I brought up the state of Texas and the map of parks!! So many exploring!!!
We can’t move until September so for now I will post ads on Craigslist for a home in some of the areas we checked out that you listed, to see what is being offered.
We will hope for the best, something will work out eventually
Yay!

Look at a map and then look at smaller towns surrounding the ones I mentioned. Like, for instance, you may be able to find a home in your budget in a town like Troup, Texas, which is cute, but it is about 25 miles from Tyler and pretty far out in the country. Also, Mineola, Hawkins, etc.

Those are towns sort of attached to Tyler but not actual bedroom communities of Tyler. I am not as familiar with similar towns around Waco, Nacogdoches, the Hill Country, etc.

Oh, another area that is decent but reasonable in price is the area around Temple. And it's closer to the Texas Hill Country, which has a lot of outdoor activity to offer.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:45 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,282 times
A couple more questions for you...is your son still in school (public high school)? If so, that will complicate your search.

Does your truck driver husband need to be close to an interstate?

You can certainly find a house to rent (some with a couple of acres for parking a truck) but it will be in a small-ish town and not close to some amenities. You might look around Temple (I-35 goes through town) as KathrynAragon said, maybe even the area west of Kerrville along I-10. North Texas might work as you get away from the DFW metroplex. Wichita Falls springs to mind, although it is not on an Interstate.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:37 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Hondo
Castroville
Devine
Pleasanton
Floresville
Jourdanton
All small towns out of San Antonio that aren't bad.
You won't find what you are looking for INSIDE the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas