Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 05:34 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I lived in San Antonio from 1988-2015. My point is that it happens. Not that it’s a daily occurrence. I’d you move to SA thinking you’re free of any weather experience you’re going to be sorely mistaken. Either that or you live on a magical hill that gets no weather in Alamo heights/Olmos Park.
Funny you say that because the last tornado in San Antonio actually went through Alamo Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 06:02 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
I lived in San Antonio from 1988-2015. My point is that it happens. Not that it’s a daily occurrence. I’d you move to SA thinking you’re free of any weather experience you’re going to be sorely mistaken. Either that or you live on a magical hill that gets no weather in Alamo heights/Olmos Park.
Quote:
I agree, but to say SA doesn’t get weather is completely inaccurate, and any native knows that.

Where did I say San Antonio doesn't get any weather? I really don't know why you are being so weird about San Antonio being a good location during hurricane season, since we don't get hurricanes...

Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
In 2017 San Antonio grew by about 20,000 and last year Houston only grew by about 8,000. What so great about San Antonio? I doubt most Americans have ever heard of San Antonio.....
I can pretty much guarantee ya that anybody who attended school in the United States beyond 5th grade and has never heard of San Antonio, Texas was not paying attention.

While, you, on the other hand...
(1)...very much waaayyy under estimate San Antonio.
(2)...insult the inteligence of "most Americans" by doubting they "have heard of San Antonio".
(3)...expose your ignorance to the world.
(4)...proved you are not near as smart as you think you are.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:25 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Where did I say San Antonio doesn't get any weather? I really don't know why you are being so weird about San Antonio being a good location during hurricane season, since we don't get hurricanes...
Don’t get hurricanes? This is a year and a half old but cites what I’m talking about weather wise. SA doesn’t get a hurricane like Houston does, but we definitely feel the effects of them. https://www.tpr.org/news/2019-05-31/...in-san-antonio

Old 01-05-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Don’t get hurricanes? This is a year and a half old but cites what I’m talking about weather wise. SA doesn’t get a hurricane like Houston does, but we definitely feel the effects of them. https://www.tpr.org/news/2019-05-31/...in-san-antonio
As you yourself said, SA doesn't get hurricanes. And as I said previously, if you are complaining about storms, then there is no safe place. Meaning that ,wherever you go there is bound to be storms once in a while. SA in my point of view is very safe during the hurricane season. There's going to be storms anywhere, once in a while. Or maybe if you go to the desert, there won't be any storms. Sometimes storms cause some problems for a few days, but then it bounces back. This is probably true for any city here in the US.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I think the point was yes, we get weather. However, we're far enough inland that we don't suffer the devastating effects of hurricanes, and we're far enough south to be outside of the southern end of "Tornado Alley". Chances of a serious tornado don't begin to increase until you hit Austin/Central Texas.
Could not of said it better myself.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:22 PM

109 posts, read 71,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
San Antonio's appeal to the U.S. masses still revolves mainly around having most of the basic amenities of a large urban U.S. city (minus good mass transit if that matters to you), proximity to appealing natural areas (compared to much of middle America at least), with suburban-style homes at attainable prices. For a lot of folks, that's enough, as long as they can get a decent paying job.

If you need a heady hipster / techie / trendy / "Anglo creatives" cultural vibe, then it's not going to make your top ten list. But how many folks *need* that?

To me, the two things that hold San Antonio back the most are: (1) a limited quantity of high-paying jobs and industries, so college-educated career-climbers will find less opportunity there (maybe this is changing?) and (2) limited commercial airline connections. Well, those two things plus a lingering perception of being a relatively poor, Hispanic military-oriented city.
It is just a poor city with a limited economy, I often ask myself if people could afford to live in one of the bigger cities in Texas if they would still choose to live in San Antonio. It's a small to midsize city that's cheap to live and where it's easy raise a family and get by, but if you want to really make something of yourself then it's definitely not the place to be.

Basically it's where you go to lay low and live the rest of your days I guess, but if you want to make it big and become wealthy or successful you have to go elsewhere.

That's honestly fine by me, but my main problem with San Antonio is that it's got all the problems of a big city (traffic,crime,etc)but none of the wealth/opportunities. So I'd rather live in a real small city like El Paso or a real big city like Houston.

Last edited by Marty Janetty; 01-05-2021 at 10:34 PM..

Old 01-05-2021, 10:23 PM

109 posts, read 71,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I rarely visit either city. Most of my friends rarely visit either city.
What...do y'all do for fun?

Old 01-06-2021, 07:42 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
What...do y'all do for fun?
We go out in San Antonio. It is tons of fun. I go out a solid 4 nights a week

Old 01-06-2021, 09:17 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
It is just a poor city with a limited economy, I often ask myself if people could afford to live in one of the bigger cities in Texas if they would still choose to live in San Antonio. It's a small to midsize city that's cheap to live and where it's easy raise a family and get by, but if you want to really make something of yourself then it's definitely not the place to be.

Basically it's where you go to lay low and live the rest of your days I guess, but if you want to make it big and become wealthy or successful you have to go elsewhere.

That's honestly fine by me, but my main problem with San Antonio is that it's got all the problems of a big city (traffic,crime,etc)but none of the wealth/opportunities. So I'd rather live in a real small city like El Paso or a real big city like Houston.
I wouldn't consider El Paso to be a "small" city. Certainly not by U.S. standards. Especially considering that one of Mexico's largest cities is adjacent, and there's an additional bump in population if you pull in Las Cruces that's only 30 minutes from the NW side of El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas