Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 04:25 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I don’t have time to refute every assertion you’ve made but Houston has the 4th largest Holocaust museum in the country. https://www.forbes.com/sites/cynthia.../#63985c2778ab

9th most visited museum in the country (natural science). https://www.10best.com/interests/gal...ms-in-america/

The Museum of Fine Arts Houston makes this top 100 list. I didn’t see any of the DFW museums. https://dayzeroproject.com/feature/5...00-art-museums

Lastly, I am a musician and I’m confident trained musicians would acknowledge The Houston Symphony Orchestra is a superior orchestra to Dallas or Fort Worth. Having said that it is widely agreed that the Meyerson Hall is superior to Jones Hall with respect to acoustics.

The Houston Ballet, Houston Grand Opera, and theater district is unrivaled in Texas.

What Dallas has that Houston doesn’t is a better Marketing machine.
No. What Houston has is a tremendous case of, "Little Man Syndrome." And these last few replies prove it.

Your plea above/link about museums is centered around visitation not quality. No one doubts HMFA is big and great and did I say big. So it only follows that its visitation numbers are impressive.

The acid test is next time you, forget the unwashed masses, have a long weekend drive/fly to DFW and walk the DMA and The Kimball and then the HMFA and report back. You won't because your thesis will be falling apart.

Same with our SO scene. You have The HS, which I acknowledge is fantastic, in DFW we have the DSO and The FWSO. My wife and I have SPs to both.

You have Rice's fantastic Shepherd School SO. Close by here we have Baylor's SO and UNT"s SO with SMU's offerings as backup.

You all not understanding/acknowledging DFW for what it is - is your deal not mine.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
But medical is easier to quantify than an arts district because the latter is a more general term. A collection of hospitals and bio-research institutions is a medical district. A district where artists live is an arts district. A district with a bunch of museums can also be an arts district. If the city decides to put some outdoor artwork around a side of town and dub it "an arts district" then that is too.

For the Holocaust Museum expansion, Houston did not need to pour as much money into it because it was already great, larger, and with more visitors.
1. I'm an atheist so clearly not a religious cheerleader - but instead a bit of a WWII buff and a lifelong Zionist. Your town owns second place on the Holocaust Museum thing for the next 30 years. What's opening in Dallas is beyond words.

2. Vis a vis the above context, "medical" is every bit as general as "art."

Old 09-17-2019, 05:02 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
It’s pretty simple logic, Houston is the main city within its core. So, Dallas is not going to have a higher (or near equal) attendance due to Fort Worth having museums as well.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It’s pretty simple logic, Houston is the main city within its core. So, Dallas is not going to have a higher (or near equal) attendance due to Fort Worth having museums as well.
Waite a second according to a previous poster you can Uber between the two cities museums in a mere 40 minutes, so if you combine the two museums attendance how would we know these attendees are distinct individuals and not Uber duplicates ?

Old 09-17-2019, 07:56 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
No. What Houston has is a tremendous case of, "Little Man Syndrome." And these last few replies prove it.

Your plea above/link about museums is centered around visitation not quality. No one doubts HMFA is big and great and did I say big. So it only follows that its visitation numbers are impressive.

The acid test is next time you, forget the unwashed masses, have a long weekend drive/fly to DFW and walk the DMA and The Kimball and then the HMFA and report back. You won't because your thesis will be falling apart.

Same with our SO scene. You have The HS, which I acknowledge is fantastic, in DFW we have the DSO and The FWSO. My wife and I have SPs to both.

You have Rice's fantastic Shepherd School SO. Close by here we have Baylor's SO and UNT"s SO with SMU's offerings as backup.

You all not understanding/acknowledging DFW for what it is - is your deal not mine.
I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Dallas really does have a better Marketing machine than Houston. It's one of the differences in the personalities of the two cities.

I will visit the museums in DFW next time I visit. Quality is subjective though. A lot of people in Houston love The Menil. I was not too impressed.

Something Dallas has that Houston doesn't is the Dallas Arboretum. We have two small arboretums in Houston but they are not at the same level. In 2020, however, Houston will have a new Botanic Gardens which I am SUPER excited about!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Dallas really does have a better Marketing machine than Houston. It's one of the differences in the personalities of the two cities.

I will visit the museums in DFW next time I visit. Quality is subjective though. A lot of people in Houston love The Menil. I was not too impressed.

Something Dallas has that Houston doesn't is the Dallas Arboretum. We have two small arboretums in Houston but they are not at the same level. In 2020, however, Houston will have a new Botanic Gardens which I am SUPER excited about!
Thank you for the very reasoned post. Just to make it very clear I was significantly goofing around earlier - I really do believe DFW and Greater-Houston both have thriving arts and music scenes and more people from both places should take note and participate.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:

No you weren't trying to be a jerk , but others who use psycho-babel terms like," little man syndrome" are.

BTW the Mercer Arboretum and Botanical Garden covers over 300 acres. I would hardly call that small.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer...otanic_Gardens

Old 09-17-2019, 09:08 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
No you weren't trying to be a jerk , but others who use psycho-babel terms like," little man syndrome" are.

BTW the Mercer Arboretum and Botanical Garden covers over 300 acres. I would hardly call that small.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer...otanic_Gardens
Yet another example of Houston's lack of Marketing!!

Seriously though, Mercer has about 60 acres of actual gardens, even if the entire property is 400 acres, etc.

I need to get back out there...it's been a while since I've visited. I had heard that all the gardens were destroyed with Harvey or one of the recent floods.

The Houston Botanic Garden will have over 160 acres of gardens. In the Garden | Houston Botanic Garden

How lucky are we to have 3 gardens in the same city! And not counting Bayou Bend which has beautiful gardens as well.

Looking forward to cooler temps to enjoy those gardens in the coming months!

Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Yet another example of Houston's lack of Marketing!!

Seriously though, Mercer has about 60 acres of actual gardens, even if the entire property is 400 acres, etc.

I need to get back out there...it's been a while since I've visited. I had heard that all the gardens were destroyed with Harvey or one of the recent floods.

The Houston Botanic Garden will have over 160 acres of gardens. In the Garden | Houston Botanic Garden

How lucky are we to have 3 gardens in the same city! And not counting Bayou Bend which has beautiful gardens as well.

Looking forward to cooler temps to enjoy those gardens in the coming months!
Are you counting the Japanese Gardens in Herman Park and don't forget what's going on at Memorial Park. I hear that golf course at Memorial is really looking sharp now. Houston is so much greener than any other major Texas City !

Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 PM

817 posts, read 922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Cause your in Dallas duh! You can easily google this information and see Rockets are more popular and recognizable of a franchise than Mavs. Is Mavericks popular in their region or do they just exist there? Name me Mavericks most popular players and ask yourself if you really think their popular.

And let me make myself clear, I’m not a big Houston sports fan myself but having one huge franchise and a slew of other bad franchise teams doesn’t make you a sports town. Even Cowboys home games will have just as many away teams fanbase in their stadium if the team sucks.
Nowitzki is retired but only as of the end of last season. On that topic, the Mavs were playing an away game vs. the LA Clippers, and the Clipper's coach called time out in the waning seconds to give a shout out to Nowitzki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Rockets are one of the most popular teams in the league and that’s a fact. A top 10 popular team, Mavs is not. Rockets share the same market with 2 other teams. Spurs being the other one that’s more popular than Mavs as well. Mavericks is simply #3 in terms of popularity. Since the rise of GSW, Lakers doesn’t even have the stronghold like it use to do. It’s real simple when it comes to the NBA, the more star players you have or wins you have, the more popular you are. Your really downplaying Rockets fanbase as if you haven’t seen Harden or Chris Paul all on State Farm or any other commercial that adds to Rockets lore.
CP3 was doing State Farm commercials while with the Clippers, including some with Deandre Jordan. Harden was the Houston version of DJ in the Houston commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
True. But the transition between Uptown and Downtown is seamless.
As I have posted in the Dallas forum.. that is just plain wrong. Uptown is supposed to be "up", like it is in Chicago, six miles north of the Loop. You should not be able to have one foot in Uptown and one in Downtown at the same time. Dallas should call its Uptown "North Downtown".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas