Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 09:58 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

We just got back from Utah archery. 2 bulls down and we rode side by sides in and walked less than 100 yards to set up. Public land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 01:16 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, right off the bat, land in Texas is not laid out by "townships", "sections", etc. That's how the Midwest and Great Plains states that were affected by railroad land grants are laid out, but land in Texas is laid out by the old surveys, some of which go back to the Spanish.

I don't know much about elk but it seems unlikely that they would thrive in Texas, since all the elk habitat I know of is in cold-winter climates.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, right off the bat, land in Texas is not laid out by "townships", "sections", etc. That's how the Midwest and Great Plains states that were affected by railroad land grants are laid out, but land in Texas is laid out by the old surveys, some of which go back to the Spanish.

I don't know much about elk but it seems unlikely that they would thrive in Texas, since all the elk habitat I know of is in cold-winter climates.
Hi turf3....section is just another term for one square mile or 640 acres.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Not trying to be mean but I'd advise you to think before you speak. First off, I couldn't even begin to make a wild guess at how many elk/deer have been killed with a 30-06 but you can bet your sweet ass the numbers are high.

As to expense, you say "Im looking to buy several sections in the future" so you can hunt year around on your own private stocked land and turn right around and say "Hunting in Texas would be cheaper". Well, it might be more convenient for you, but cheaper? lol I don't think so.

As to Texas having a better climate, who in hell wants to hunt deer/elk in 80-90 degree weather, tromping through woods in t-shirt and shorts sweating like a pig?

You certainly don't have to ride a horse or hike all over the place to hunt deer/elk in the mountains. We hunted for years in CO and never took our horses with us. Take a jeep, drive in, make camp and if you can't walk out far enough to find a good spot, I'd say you don't need to be hunting in the first place. You want the canned hunts which IMO is basically for people who really don't want to hunt, they just want to shoot and kill an animal. World of difference here.

But it's fun to talk about buying several sections of land, talk about hunting exotic animals along with elk/deer, etc. on your big private owned hunting ranch, isn't it?
Well to each their own I would rather hunt in 80 or 90 degree weather but hey thats just me.Welll i went to a elk hunting website and it said you need horses so i guess i was confused.I am not looking for canned hunts.....thats why i wanted several sections when i was told thats what you needed to not be canned hunting.I can hunt in Texas with a outfitter without buying the land if need be.Hope that clears up the confusion.I hunt texas white tail in 20 degree weather and i prefer 80s and 90s to hunt in.Thanks lonestar.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:14 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Oh, you bet, C24L. Thank you and good luck!

Old 09-15-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Oh, you bet, C24L. Thank you and good luck!
Netime and thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: