Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I am a CEO and oilman/land speculator who is looking to buy some hunting land in Texas at some point possibly with my folks.I want to hunt deer,bison,elk,exotics,hogs,doves, and rabbits on it.I dont want to go out west somewhere like Raton,New Mexico or Wyoming to hunt elk or to Africa or India to hunt exotics so I just want to stock some elk/bison and exotics on my land.So whats the smallest amount of land I would need for a small number of elk bison and exotics on my land???I want to do this so I can hunt year round when its not deer season. Im not trying to offend anybody.Hunting is a Texas tradition.Thanks in advance.

Last edited by C24L; 09-09-2019 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 06:58 PM

19,770 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi everybody,
I am a CEO and oilman who is looking to buy some hunting land in Texas at some point possibly with my folks.I want to hunt deer,bison,elk,exotics,hogs,doves, and rabbits on it.I dont want to go out west somewhere like Raton,New Mexico or Wyoming to hunt elk or to Africa or India to hunt exotics so I just want to stock some elk/bison and exotics on my land.So whats the smallest amount of land I would need for a small number of elk bison and exotics on my land???I want to do this so I can hunt year round when its not deer season. Im not trying to offend anybody.Hunting is a Texas tradition.Thanks in advance.
I'm an oilman too and happen to own a good bit of land.

Are you looking for a personal menagerie for canned hunting? If so and assuming someone is tending the land and game you won't need much land. And this kind of hunting is outside my idea of Texas tradition.

If instead you are looking to run game on land large enough to offer challenging hunts including exotics and elk you will need several sections of land at a minimum. FWIIW free ranging elk in Texas only works in a few areas. As you mentioned Africa and India, Aoudad and Nilgai do very well across much of Texas especially to the south and west into Mexico.

If you are thinking about the former I'd urge you to take a pass. Shooting not quite penned elk etc. isn't hunting.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Are you looking for a personal menagerie for canned hunting? If so and assuming someone is tending the land and game you won't need much land. And this kind of hunting is outside my idea of Texas tradition.

If instead you are looking to run game on land large enough to offer challenging hunts including exotics and elk you will need several sections of land at a minimum. FWIIW free ranging elk in Texas only works in a few areas. As you mentioned Africa and India, Aoudad and Nilgai do very well across much of Texas especially to the south and west into Mexico.

If you are thinking about the former I'd urge you to take a pass. Shooting not quite penned elk etc. isn't hunting.
Im looking to buy several sections in the future once i get overrides,EDS.I dont want canned hunts.

Last edited by C24L; 09-09-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 07:04 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
In order to have elk or exotics on your land, you're going to need to have high fences. Otherwise, those animals will just jump out and leave. I have no idea what the grazing requirements are, but since they are so big, I would guess it would be close to a horse?

Bison have about the same grazing requirements as cattle. They also have tougher hide than cattle, so you'd need better fences.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
In order to have elk or exotics on your land, you're going to need to have high fences. Otherwise, those animals will just jump out and leave. I have no idea what the grazing requirements are, but since they are so big, I would guess it would be close to a horse?

Bison have about the same grazing requirements as cattle. They also have tougher hide than cattle, so you'd need better fences.
Thanks for the info and tips Christie.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:

would 1600 acres do,EDS?

Old 09-10-2019, 02:30 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
And this kind of hunting is outside my idea of Texas tradition.

Shooting not quite penned elk etc. isn't hunting.
I'm in total agreement with you on this.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
I would imagine that i would be hard to hunt Elk in Texas and not have it be a "Canned Hunt" Lote of people have domestic herds of them in alot of places.

If you want to hunt them, why not go west and hunt them in the wild?

Old 09-14-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I would imagine that i would be hard to hunt Elk in Texas and not have it be a "Canned Hunt" Lote of people have domestic herds of them in alot of places.

If you want to hunt them, why not go west and hunt them in the wild?
I dont feel that I am a good enough shot to make a 500 yard shot across a canyon.Also, I would rather use a .30-06 than a .300 win mag if at all possible.Also, I dont want to ride horses and hike all over the place in the mountains of New Mexico. I like that elk hunting in Texas has better climate and there's no season for them here meaning you can hunt them year round.Hunting in Texas would be cheaper.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:40 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I dont feel that I am a good enough shot to make a 500 yard shot across a canyon.Also, I would rather use a .30-06 than a .300 win mag if at all possible.Also, I dont want to ride horses and hike all over the place in the mountains of New Mexico. I like that elk hunting in Texas has better climate and there's no season for them here meaning you can hunt them year round.Hunting in Texas would be cheaper.
Not trying to be mean but I'd advise you to think before you speak. First off, I couldn't even begin to make a wild guess at how many elk/deer have been killed with a 30-06 but you can bet your sweet ass the numbers are high.

As to expense, you say "Im looking to buy several sections in the future" so you can hunt year around on your own private stocked land and turn right around and say "Hunting in Texas would be cheaper". Well, it might be more convenient for you, but cheaper? lol I don't think so.

As to Texas having a better climate, who in hell wants to hunt deer/elk in 80-90 degree weather, tromping through woods in t-shirt and shorts sweating like a pig?

You certainly don't have to ride a horse or hike all over the place to hunt deer/elk in the mountains. We hunted for years in CO and never took our horses with us. Take a jeep, drive in, make camp and if you can't walk out far enough to find a good spot, I'd say you don't need to be hunting in the first place. You want the canned hunts which IMO is basically for people who really don't want to hunt, they just want to shoot and kill an animal. World of difference here.

But it's fun to talk about buying several sections of land, talk about hunting exotic animals along with elk/deer, etc. on your big private owned hunting ranch, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: