U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 08:51 AM

1,949 posts, read 1,120,138 times

Advertisements

Many Texas drivers pay little regard to speed limits already.

What I like is Texas' 2 lane roads. Pull up behind a Texan on a 2 lane road, anhe'll slide over on the shoulder (not slowing over) to let you pass.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,457 posts, read 50,689,452 times
Texas already wins the prize... Most Highway deaths in nation....so no more trophies if speed limit is lifted.
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04...ls-safety/amp/

Old 06-27-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Many Texas drivers pay little regard to speed limits already.

What I like is Texas' 2 lane roads. Pull up behind a Texan on a 2 lane road, anhe'll slide over on the shoulder (not slowing over) to let you pass.
Killing how many bicyclists, pedestrians, road construction workers, people legally waiting for assistance in their disabled car...?

Great idea!

Texas holds a lot of impressive records (including most pedestrians killed by vehicles per yr)

Old 09-07-2020, 10:52 AM

97 posts, read 14,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm sure most of you know, California is considering removing speed limits on sections of I-5 and CA-99 within dedicated lanes.

https://www-automobilemag-com.cdn.am...mited-lanes%2F

I guess given the lanes are dedicated for that sole purpose (and hopefully also barrier separated) it may not be 'too bad' given only those choosing to go that fast will be in those lanes, and seperate from speed limited traffic or drivers who choose to drive slower.

... but I actually dont think I'd find myself using them, or atleast not here in America. If it were Germany, maybe different story but I don't see it turning out very well.

Your thoughts? We already have an 85 MPH toll road and it's pretty fun but I dont know that I'd want to be on the road with drivers doing 100+
It makes no sense to only have, say, 2 lanes on each direction with no speed limit and the rest of traffic going 70. Those lanes would get clogged up in no time from everyone wanting to use them which would then make the 3 empty normal-highway lanes the emptiest and therefore safer to go fast on the 3 other lanes, and not in the 2 designated lanes, defeating the purpose. If people only learned to keep right unless passing you wouldn't need designated "safe lanes" for speeding. Other than containing accidents I never saw the purpose of dividing interstates into spurs.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:54 AM

97 posts, read 14,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Killing how many bicyclists, pedestrians, road construction workers, people legally waiting for assistance in their disabled car...?

Great idea!

Texas holds a lot of impressive records (including most pedestrians killed by vehicles per yr)
Cause it's a huge state.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:42 PM

729 posts, read 414,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
No speed limits is not a new topic. Prior to 1974, Nevada and Montana had no speed limits on their highways. From 1995-1999, Montana once again had no speed limits, before re-institing a 75 mph speed limit on interstate highways in 1999 and then upping it to 80 mph in 2015.
My very poor memory says that prior to 1974, Montana also had another rule. While there no speed limits, you were not allowed to go faster than the road conditions and weather would safely allow. People were pulled over and and given tickets for going too fast. Am I going to bother to fact check my poor memory? Nah.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:53 AM

15,282 posts, read 14,072,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Texas already wins the prize... Most Highway deaths in nation....so no more trophies if speed limit is lifted.
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04...ls-safety/amp/
I can't open your link but TX isn't even in the top 10 in car crash death rate per mile (FE TX 1.29 per 100,000,000 miles.......driven). Nominal numbers are near wortless for comparative analysis.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:55 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,433,501 times
Yeah, you gotta figure in the size and population. When factoring in you can literally fit 4 medium sized states into Texas, then divide those numbers accordingly, then the results look more average.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:55 PM

506 posts, read 432,272 times
I know the car insurance rates would increase.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I can't open your link but TX isn't even in the top 10 in car crash death rate per mile (FE TX 1.29 per 100,000,000 miles.......driven). Nominal numbers are near wortless for comparative analysis.
No need for comparative analysis (Highest number of traffic fatalities)=
Here are the 10 states with the most fatal car accidents:

Texas (3,305)

California (3,259)
Florida (2,915)
Georgia (1,407)
North Carolina (1,321)
Pennsylvania (1,103)
Ohio (996)
Tennessee (974)
South Carolina (970)
Illinois (948)
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...dents-by-state

As a commercial driver for last 45+ yrs I know in which states I prefer NOT to drive. Most of my miles are in WY (highest mileage use / vehicle yet very high in fatalities too) I scrape a lot of them off the highway.

New studies have also shown that fatal car accidents can occur more in rural areas as well. These areas also include states with lower populations. To confirm that figure, here are the percentages of fatal car accidents for the top 5 regions with the lowest populations (rounded):

Wyoming: 90%
Vermont: 88%
Washington D.C.: 97%
Alaska: 86%
North Dakota: 90%

Texas is just plum scary to drive.

Impaired driver just took out 8 of 12 motorcycles (Thin Blue Line / LEO ride) and killed 4 of them, less than 2 minutes from my home. I drive / ride this route every day. (often 4+ times / day)

This one really haunts me as there was video of this guy wandering all over the road before this crash (not so far from me either). 13 Dead After Pickup Truck Veers Into Church Van Full of Seniors in Texas
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-crash-n740351
Texas is just plum scary to drive.
https://www.herrmanandherrman.com/tx-fatal-crashes/
Texas has more than 13 million licensed drivers and more than 313,000 miles of public roads, the most miles of any state. Its interstate highways are among the nation’s busiest. Unfortunately, Texas also leads in some categories of concern including most traffic fatalities of any state, most crashes involving large trucks and highest number of alcohol-related traffic deaths. Approximately 246,000 people suffer injuries in traffic accidents in Texas and more than 3,500 are fatally injured in accidents.

I've had so many friends a coworkers killed due to no good reason (carelessness (freedoms(?)) of others)

I have never killed anyone, but a best friend had a carload of kids cross centerline and drive under his rig.
He got to sit for 3 hours in rural WY at 3am listening to them die before a schoolbus finally came down the road the next morning.

Increased speeds / no limits?
Just not a great idea to avail more freedoms when so many choose to be irresponsible (at the cost of the lives and /or lifetime of injury of others).

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/m...nd-streak.html
November 7, 2000 was the last deathless day on roadways in Texas. That means for 19 years straight, at least one person has died every single day.
AUSTIN – Julian Ekpanya will someday smile while reeling in his first fish. He will experience the joy of hitting his first Little League homerun, learn to ride a bike and eventually take a prideful walk across a graduation stage. But his father won’t be there for any of it.

Julian’s father, Endy, was a Pearland police officer responding to a call on a Sunday morning, when his patrol car was struck head-on by a wrong-way, drunk driver. He died on the way to the hospital. He was 31.

“Julian is five now, and he’s started asking me, ‘When is Daddy coming home? Where is Daddy?’,” said Lucy Lugo Ekpanya, Endy’s widow. “I tell him that Daddy is on a very important mission, he is protecting us, he is our hero and he lives in our hearts. He is in Heaven.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas