Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 01:12 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No need for comparative analysis (Highest number of traffic fatalities)=
Here are the 10 states with the most fatal car accidents:

Texas (3,305)

California (3,259)
Florida (2,915)
Georgia (1,407)
North Carolina (1,321)
Pennsylvania (1,103)
Ohio (996)
Tennessee (974)
South Carolina (970)
Illinois (948)
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...dents-by-state

As a commercial driver for last 45+ yrs I know in which states I prefer NOT to drive. Most of my miles are in WY (highest mileage use / vehicle yet very high in fatalities too) I scrape a lot of them off the highway.

New studies have also shown that fatal car accidents can occur more in rural areas as well. These areas also include states with lower populations. To confirm that figure, here are the percentages of fatal car accidents for the top 5 regions with the lowest populations (rounded):

Wyoming: 90%
Vermont: 88%
Washington D.C.: 97%
Alaska: 86%
North Dakota: 90%

Texas is just plum scary to drive.

Impaired driver just took out 8 of 12 motorcycles (Thin Blue Line / LEO ride) and killed 4 of them, less than 2 minutes from my home. I drive / ride this route every day. (often 4+ times / day)

This one really haunts me as there was video of this guy wandering all over the road before this crash (not so far from me either). 13 Dead After Pickup Truck Veers Into Church Van Full of Seniors in Texas
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-crash-n740351
Texas is just plum scary to drive.
https://www.herrmanandherrman.com/tx-fatal-crashes/
Texas has more than 13 million licensed drivers and more than 313,000 miles of public roads, the most miles of any state. Its interstate highways are among the nation’s busiest. Unfortunately, Texas also leads in some categories of concern including most traffic fatalities of any state, most crashes involving large trucks and highest number of alcohol-related traffic deaths. Approximately 246,000 people suffer injuries in traffic accidents in Texas and more than 3,500 are fatally injured in accidents.

I've had so many friends a coworkers killed due to no good reason (carelessness (freedoms(?)) of others)

I have never killed anyone, but a best friend had a carload of kids cross centerline and drive under his rig.
He got to sit for 3 hours in rural WY at 3am listening to them die before a schoolbus finally came down the road the next morning.

Increased speeds / no limits?
Just not a great idea to avail more freedoms when so many choose to be irresponsible (at the cost of the lives and /or lifetime of injury of others).

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/m...nd-streak.html
November 7, 2000 was the last deathless day on roadways in Texas. That means for 19 years straight, at least one person has died every single day.
AUSTIN – Julian Ekpanya will someday smile while reeling in his first fish. He will experience the joy of hitting his first Little League homerun, learn to ride a bike and eventually take a prideful walk across a graduation stage. But his father won’t be there for any of it.

Julian’s father, Endy, was a Pearland police officer responding to a call on a Sunday morning, when his patrol car was struck head-on by a wrong-way, drunk driver. He died on the way to the hospital. He was 31.

“Julian is five now, and he’s started asking me, ‘When is Daddy coming home? Where is Daddy?’,” said Lucy Lugo Ekpanya, Endy’s widow. “I tell him that Daddy is on a very important mission, he is protecting us, he is our hero and he lives in our hearts. He is in Heaven.”
well Texas has one of the largest numbers of fatal car wrecks because its one of the most populated states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
well Texas has one of the largest numbers of fatal car wrecks because its one of the most populated states.
yes, as per the noted resources...

BUT...
None (Zero) of these deaths are necessary.
Traffic fatalities truly affects families, insurance, the economy, medical system, - personally down to each one of us.

It is a tragedy each time I go to the door of a family, or meet them in the hospital to explain this unnecessary death that has now changed them for life.

I'm all for highest reasonable speed limit and safe / smooth driving.

We (Texas) is not there yet... in fact FAR from it, and headed the WRONG WAY.

Note that traffic / commute / congestion has been significantly reduced during Covid. Texas traffic death rates are substantially sustained.

Despite a massive drop in crashes, Texas sees rise in speed-related road deaths during the pandemic
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...t-15386383.php

FATAL CAR ACCIDENTS SPIKE IN TEXAS DURING COVID-19
https://www.vblawgroup.com/fatal-car...ring-covid-19/

#EndTheStreakTX - Texas Department of Transportation

Old 09-11-2020, 11:58 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Coming in from New Mexico after the Welcome to Texas sign, a sign reads El Paso 18 Beaumont 852.
It's a long drive for sure.
I am from El Paso but live in Houston area, I made this trip more times then I would care for. Looong, booring, and tiresome. I can make it in 10 hours flat, with 3 fuel stops/bathroom breaks and not stopping for eating or stuff like that. I just want to get where I am going, FAST.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
airplanes are pretty fast.
you can get HOU to ELP for $59 OW fares during some sale times. $39 from SAT, would still save you a lot of time.

Fortunately the 670 miles is only 1/2 tank of fuel for my evil Diesel VW station wagon, so no need to stop if driving.

I find it makes a lot nicer 'night drive' than burning daylight making that 'non-scenic' drive. Full moon makes it nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas