Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 07:00 PM

61,109 posts, read 85,909,223 times

Advertisements

Texas was ranked the second most populous state in the country by the 2018 U.S. Census, and the state has also seen a large influx of people moving to the Lone Star state.

https://urbanobservatory.maps.arcgis...62337dd8bc1a40
https://www.ksat.com/news/map-shows-...oving-to-texas

The flow lines gives a representative amount of people moving a certain direction. These are not literal paths that people took, but rather a directional flow.
The brightest, thickest yellow lines have the most population moving along that flow line. The circles reinforce the amount of population migration for each state based on size. The pop-up for each state is configured to also show the inflow and outflow of population, households, and income between 2011 and 2016.

With 28.7 million people recorded in the state in 2018, Texas saw a 1.3 percent increase in population between 2017 and 2018. And that growth could be attributed to the large populations of people moving to Texas from around the country.

In a study done by Esri, a mapping and data analytics company, most of Texas's newest residents came from California and Florida during that time period, according to IRS tax filings from 2015 to 2016. More than 62,000 people came from California and more than 35,000 people came from Florida during that time period.

Esri mapped out the states with the highest number of people moving to Texas:

California — 62,767
Florida — 35,188
Louisiana — 26,469
Illinois — 22,552
Oklahoma — 21,401
New York — 20,909
Colorado — 18,768
Virginia — 18,741
North Carolina — 15,803
Arizona — 15,294

Last edited by elnina; 10-08-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 12:26 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,216,774 times
The map doesn't appear to include people leaving Texas for other states, am I correct in reading it that way?

I know most states have more people moving to Texas vs from Texas to them, but a few, including Colorado, have more Texans moving to than from.

I think the ratio is really important to get a better picture of what is going on.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:25 PM

61,109 posts, read 85,909,223 times
I remember seeing such map in the past. Let me look. In the meantime, when you look at the maps (My previous link) of each state, you could see where the people come from.

This another graph. Unfortunately, not the most recent data:
https://www.wired.com/wp-content/upl...tioncircle.jpg

https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/028/
https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...ws-graph-1.jpg

Black migration:
https://m.imgur.com/5SYKLg9

Net domestic migration to Texas most populous counties
https://comptroller.texas.gov/econom...s/exhibit7.png

Old 10-09-2019, 05:25 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
I agree that ratio is important, as are the per capita figures.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:00 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
Another stat important to me is what % of residents in a state moved to Texas. The bigger a state like Can and Fla the more to move. So this list is just big states with people moving to Texas. Not very surprising to me.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Another stat important to me is what % of residents in a state moved to Texas. The bigger a state like Can and Fla the more to move. So this list is just big states with people moving to Texas. Not very surprising to me.
Absolutely. California will be at or near the top of the raw numbers of people moving to almost any given state.

Texans show up in the top 10 for most states as well. There are just a lot of Texans/ Californians.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:17 PM

And Floridians for that matter. They usually show up in droves.

It's all about percentages and per capita to me.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And Floridians for that matter. They usually show up in droves.

It's all about percentages and per capita to me.
Yeah, also New Yorkers.

These sorts of studies also just show changes in address or where Taxes are filed. A Texan who moves to NY for a year or two for a job and then moves home is considered a New Yorker moving to Texas. As far as attracting new people this isn't the case.

I know a guy who moved to Texas for School, stayed a year after, and thus became a Texas "Citizen" moved to OK for law school, established residency there, when that was finished he then moved back to his home state. In 5 years he shows up as a migrant to Texas and Oklahoma, though he never had any intention to stay long term in either.

I know several doctors who have done similar things.

People stay somewhere without really "Moving" there if that makes sense.

I don't know if there is a way to account for that sort of thing.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, also New Yorkers.

These sorts of studies also just show changes in address or where Taxes are filed. A Texan who moves to NY for a year or two for a job and then moves home is considered a New Yorker moving to Texas. As far as attracting new people this isn't the case.

I know a guy who moved to Texas for School, stayed a year after, and thus became a Texas "Citizen" moved to OK for law school, established residency there, when that was finished he then moved back to his home state. In 5 years he shows up as a migrant to Texas and Oklahoma, though he never had any intention to stay long term in either.

I know several doctors who have done similar things.

People stay somewhere without really "Moving" there if that makes sense.

I don't know if there is a way to account for that sort of thing.
Right.

I doubt there is any way to track this sort of thing.

Anyway, sheer numbers don't really impress me. Going by sheer numbers, Texas leads the way when it comes to deaths per drunk drivers, for instance, but if you go by per capita, we are right in the middle of the pack for all 50 states. But a person can twist stats to sound alarming or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: