Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 02:09 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Nope.
SMU has a very good shot at it! I think Baylor will drop a game or two at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 03:34 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Go SMU, or Memphis, or Cincinnati, which are ALL from the American Athletic Conference, trying to again achieve the New Years Six Bowl Games, with it's 15-20 million payouts, for the conference schools. This would also help, the almost impossible task of the AAC, which member schools and now even ESPN are calling the conference, the AAC, The Power Six Conference, hoping to become the sixth conference of the Power "5" Conferences, lol. The league schools are pouring millions into academics, programs, facilities to upgrade to become one of the New Power Six Conferences. Eastern Conn State University is withdrawing from the conference, to join the Big East Conference which does not have football. ECSU is likely withdrawing, likely, one, they can't compete without major expenditures. That leaves,

Yep, I know, I know, and the AAC Universities know, they have their work cut out for them, without doubt, lol

East Carolina, Navy, and Tulsa, are not to my knowledge "pushing hard" to become Power 5. Navy, has recently had a football program approaching Power 5 standards, the other two, not.

The University of Houston, SMU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, UCF, South Florida, even Tulane are "pushing". lol

Now, attack my position, I know, I know, lol

Old 11-01-2019, 03:37 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
SMU has a very good shot at it! I think Baylor will drop a game or two at the end.
Surely, Baylor's good play as well as good luck, like against West Virginia, will run out. However, it does help to have "stumbling" Oklahoma and not so "stable" Texas games being played AT Baylor. Oh, well, stumble Baylor, lol.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Interesting thread. A lot more expertise than I have. I just know that I ALWAYS am against UT.

Last weekend , I was in Fayetteville and while UA is a beautiful campus and the stadium is impressive, I couldn't help remembering how UA started the breakup of the SWC. Yes, A&M didn't help matters, but I don't really blame them .

In Fayetteville, the restaurant we were having dinner in at first had the Bama vs. UA game on , after the first few minutes , the channel changed to another game. Then , back the hotel , no UA game either. I guess it was too painful. I will say the city STILL has a lot of spirit.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:29 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
For a change, let’s grow up to put our petty issues aside and support Texas colleges, if your college is still in the race, good for you. If not, adopt one. This cutting off the nose to spite the face philosophy is sad.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
For a change, let’s grow up to put our petty issues aside and support Texas colleges, if your college is still in the race, good for you. If not, adopt one. This cutting off the nose to spite the face philosophy is sad.
That philosophy exists for a reason. Actually there are lots of reasons, and I won't go into them because that would take a lot of typing, and some of the reasons have already been pointed out earlier. If the larger, wealthier universities didn't resort to trampling and suppressing their in-state brethren, then there would be no petty issues, just your everyday rivalries would exist. It's hard to turn the other cheek when you look at a lot of the facts.

Heck the big dogs even trample each other. You know it must be bad when not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 major state flagships have left the Big 12.

That being said, I will always support teams like SMU, TCU, Tech, and the smaller division Texas universities who get to experience a true football playoff experience instead of the SEC invitational beauty contest.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 11-03-2019 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
But why would you support a rival just because you share a state with them? It's weird. Either you are rivals or not.

The Omni Hotel in Dallas was lit up for the Astros when they won the world serious which is embarrassing. They play in our division for crying out loud, are we going to Light up for the Angels when they win? Plenty of people here are from SoCal anyway.....

Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Surely, Baylor's good play as well as good luck, like against West Virginia, will run out. However, it does help to have "stumbling" Oklahoma and not so "stable" Texas games being played AT Baylor. Oh, well, stumble Baylor, lol.
I think both OU and Texas will beat Baylor. Still, it has been an impressive season for them and they have played well beyond what I expected. Nothing to be ashamed of.

If they in theory win out and go to the playoffs they will get murdered and it will look bad for the whole big 12.

UT played LSU very closely. TCU was a weird loss, but TCU has dominated this rivalry recently and seems to have Texas's number. Texas will beat Baylor.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:38 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurevalley92 View Post
smu has a very good shot at it! I think baylor will drop a game or two at the end.
smu (8-1) . . .

Old 11-04-2019, 12:59 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
smu (8-1) . . .
No!!! SMU dropped the ball? Now only Baylor is left there holding the fort. Lets converge supportive prayers behind last of the Texans. When and where is their next game? I rarely go to college sports but I’ll try to make an exception and treat myself to some excitement. How much are the tickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas