Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2022, 07:15 PM

511 posts, read 399,442 times

Advertisements

Link to the video: https://youtu.be/iQtBwN_bd5I

A Floridian made some good points on the Dallas versus Houston comparison.

I kind of agree with him.

What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 07:36 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
That was an interesting video. I mostly agree as well. He kept it real and was generally correct.

Though my biggest takeaway is I had to keep checking to see if I was playing the video at half speed.

Old 08-27-2022, 02:17 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
Yeah that video was too slow! Nothing really new. I wouldn’t call Dallas an “American” city. In my opinion it lacks the ethnic vibe of cities like NY and Chicago. On the other hand Houston is NOT a “Latin American” city by any stretch. Not sure why the YouTuber would think that. Miami and Los Angeles (less so) might be considered Latin American.

The biggest differences between Dallas and Houston are:

Dallas - no soul, arrogant, image conscious, market the heck out of the city to be the “best.” The region’s media outlets perpetuate this attitude, always looking for the “national reaction.” Polished. Has done very well with virtually no natural resources.

Houston - “live and let live” laissez-faire attitude, no self-promotion, not enough marketing of the city’s strengths and history, racially harmonious, gritty. Plenteous natural resources (e.g., proximity to the coast, sub-tropical climate), local mindset vs. national (i.e., Astros vs. the World, Luv ya blue vs. America’s Team)

Old 08-27-2022, 02:17 PM

42 posts, read 21,378 times
Houston hip hop today is very generic. It ain’t no Houston sound today like 90’s & 2000’s. Houston bought into the mainstream & produced a bunch of gimmick artist that sell they’re soul for fame & fortune. If that’s what you into more power to you. All press ain’t good press. Meghan Thee Stallion ain’t even the best female rapper in Texas but has all the fame & glory because she’s from Houston & has the backing of the Carters. That other Texas female rapper that is way more versatile and overall a better rapper can’t seem to gain traction. Hmm I wonder why? It really don’t take rocket science to figure that out. As far as which is better I really don’t care. Houston seems to be the more plastic of the two these days at least in the black community. Everybody want work done to get a big booty & breast so they can twerk in the local wal-mart like the idol that they worship as Gods. If that’s what into than yeah Houston is the better option. If you like thot culture than yeah Houston is the better option. If you want highjacked brainwashed black culture than yea Houston is the better option. The old Houston was much better it had a soul. It had a heart beat. The one today is all over the place. Dallas feels the more real of the two. Houston just feels more gimmick today.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:04 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
First thing I'll point out is that this video is biased in favor of Houston. Now, he did mention that at the start of the video so he's not leaving this out. But when you're watching a video like this that favors a place, you'll always here it skewed one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTX View Post
Houston hip hop today is very generic. It ain’t no Houston sound today like 90’s & 2000’s. Houston bought into the mainstream & produced a bunch of gimmick artist that sell they’re soul for fame & fortune. If that’s what you into more power to you. All press ain’t good press. Meghan Thee Stallion ain’t even the best female rapper in Texas but has all the fame & glory because she’s from Houston & has the backing of the Carters. That other Texas female rapper that is way more versatile and overall a better rapper can’t seem to gain traction. Hmm I wonder why? It really don’t take rocket science to figure that out. As far as which is better I really don’t care. Houston seems to be the more plastic of the two these days at least in the black community. Everybody want work done to get a big booty & breast so they can twerk in the local wal-mart like the idol that they worship as Gods. If that’s what into than yeah Houston is the better option. If you like thot culture than yeah Houston is the better option. If you want highjacked brainwashed black culture than yea Houston is the better option. The old Houston was much better it had a soul. It had a heart beat. The one today is all over the place. Dallas feels the more real of the two. Houston just feels more gimmick today.
I'll suppose you're talking about Erika Banks being the best female rapper in Texas in which case I'll agree. She's the best rapper. Everything else in this post is just ridiculous. Name me one hip hop scene related to one city that sounds exactly how it did when it formed. Does Pop Smoke sound anything like the 90's era Biggie New York sound? Does Roddy Rich sound anything like the Dr. Dre era? Does Future sound anything like the Outkast or even Ludacris era of Atlanta? There isn't a single hip hop scene that hasn't evolved in one way or another. The only reason Dallas has maintained a somewhat cohesive sound historically is because it has never had a dominant scene so it really has nothing to evolve from. It has had a few promising waves that never took off.

Not to mention, if we are going to bring up Megan thee Stallion being too gimmicky... Have you heard of this rapper from Dallas called Asian Doll? Or Cuban Doll? They're just as if not more gimmicky, they're just much less popular.

Times change movements change. It's better to ave Travis Scotts and Megan thee Stallions and Don Tolivers then the same thing that was nice 15 years ago.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:18 PM

42 posts, read 21,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
First thing I'll point out is that this video is biased in favor of Houston. Now, he did mention that at the start of the video so he's not leaving this out. But when you're watching a video like this that favors a place, you'll always here it skewed one way or another.

I'll suppose you're talking about Erika Banks being the best female rapper in Texas in which case I'll agree. She's the best rapper. Everything else in this post is just ridiculous. Name me one hip hop scene related to one city that sounds exactly how it did when it formed. Does Pop Smoke sound anything like the 90's era Biggie New York sound? Does Roddy Rich sound anything like the Dr. Dre era? Does Future sound anything like the Outkast or even Ludacris era of Atlanta? There isn't a single hip hop scene that hasn't evolved in one way or another. The only reason Dallas has maintained a somewhat cohesive sound historically is because it has never had a dominant scene so it really has nothing to evolve from. It has had a few promising waves that never took off.

Not to mention, if we are going to bring up Megan thee Stallion being too gimmicky... Have you heard of this rapper from Dallas called Asian Doll? Or Cuban Doll? They're just as if not more gimmicky, they're just much less popular.

Times change movements change. It's better to ave Travis Scotts and Megan thee Stallions and Don Tolivers then the same thing that was nice 15 years ago.
Cuban Doll just had looks that’s it. Asian Doll biggest mistake was pooping on her home town because they’re not kissing her behind. She got some talent but her attitude stunts her growth. I believe she’s matured some. But she’s not going to get anywhere fast continuing to talk down on her hometown. You’re suppose to always respect where you come from no matter what. She thought Megan was her real friend but found out quickly when her lyrics were removed from Megan’s song with City Girl's that Megan wasn’t really her friend & viewed her as competition & a threat. And Erika Banks just made poor descision of signing with a Houston record label. She doesn’t know that she’s being exploited. The sad part about it is her hit songs where already made before she signed with that record label. So, the label is profiting off music that was made before she signed. Dallas artist still have not learned after all these years to stay far away from Houston when you’re trying to make it big. They don’t look at you as fellow Texans, they look at you as competition & a threat. Was Swisha House really that much better than DSR. I think not. When they got national exposure did they help Dallas artist gain more exposure. I think not. Houston underground made much of there coins from Dallas & they will tell you that. The love has never been returned in the other direction. Just tired ass jokes that Dallas had no real hip hop scene back than, when really it was just Houston insecurities of sharing the stage with Dallas. Honestly I don’t care for the hip hop scene today because it’s way to demonic for my liking. I don’t want them toxic spirits around me. While Houston went full main stream with cheesy artist. Dallas took over trapp music that promotes nothing but self hate & black on black crime. They loss a very promising artist in Mo3 due to that movement. This is a very touchy subject for me because I see right through the bull that is consumed by the black community everyday. These celebrities today are worshipped like they’re Gods & put spells on their fans. Ain’t no spell going to be placed on me. Nor do I worship any man. I don’t care who you are.

Last edited by ProTX; 08-28-2022 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas