Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 10:45 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, that's just wrong. Yeah, Portland is a little over 3/4ths white. Of any size????? No way dude.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...nd-population/

Portland has way above the national average Asian Population...a higher % than DFW.

The 5.7% black population while below national averages and very small compared to DFW would place it 34th of 56th among states and territories. Less than half, 24, have Black populations over 10%.

Not arguing that Portland is super diverse, but nowhere near the "Whitest City of any Size."
Leave it to you to miss the point. I'm really not sure if you are simply not very bright/perceptive or if isntead you are so reflexively argumentative that you are blinded to what people are saying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ack-residents/

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rtland/492035/

https://www.koin.com/news/study-port...-cities-in-us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Portland isn’t diverse at all. One of the least diverse in the US. DFW is one of the most diverse. See my 2018 demographics thread in the c vs. c forum.
Of course you are right. That guy does not care.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:16 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Portland isn’t diverse at all. One of the least diverse in the US. DFW is one of the most diverse. See my 2018 demographics thread in the c vs. c forum.
Yeah no doubt, but it is a long way from "The Least diverse City of any Size."

Lots of people forget how lots of the country isn't all that diverse.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Leave it to you to miss the point. I'm really not sure if you are simply not very bright/perceptive or if isntead you are so reflexively argumentative that you are blinded to what people are saying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ack-residents/

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rtland/492035/

https://www.koin.com/news/study-port...-cities-in-us/
The first article literally says "Whitest LARGE City" That makes sense because yeah, most large cities tend to be diverse.

You didn't say that though, you said it was the whitest city of any size, which is incorrect.

Maddison, Lincoln, Spokane, Colorado Springs, Boise, etc are all medium-sized cities non-suburb cities that are all "More White"

Still, over 70% you have Reno, Ft Wayne, Omaha etc as well as other small and medium-sized midwestern cities have similar numbers.

Austin, Denver, Seattle, ABQ are all just shy of 70.

Again, no one is saying Portland is super diverse, and for a big city it is comparatively is not, but you are the one claiming it is one of the least diverse cities of any size and that is wrong as well. Just pointing that out, nothing more.

If you simply mean it is the least diverse of the major cities, just say that.

You bust people's balls all the time for minor details so I would expect that you would expect the same from others?

Old 11-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
It's funny how so many simply miss the fact that warts and all republican leadership in Texas has been transformationally effective for Texas over the last 25 or 35 years.

DFW and Houston Metro have blossomed into two of the very top cities in the world for professional set real incomes (neither were in the top 25 several years ago both are in the top 10 now) and both are top choices for everyone from the working poor to the upper middle class as well. People moving here are not irrational.

All of this is easily provable with 8th grade level economic analysis or looking at the right charts and graphs available on the internet. Viscerally, however, take note of working class black - and it's not just black Americans either - it's educated young people of all colors as well - migration out of places like LA, SF/Bay area, Portland (already likely the whitest city in The US of any size), NYC, Baltimore etc. to places like DFW, Houston Metro, Atlanta, Nashville, Tampa etc.

What so many well intentioned left leaning Texans want isn't reality. What they will cause, and it will happen, is our great Texas cities will become in short order much less affordable for the working poor through the middle class and professional set income metrics will be devastated.

If you think I'm wrong take a couple of hours learning how to find, calculate and understand income v. COL + state and local tax burdens per city and then run those numbers at the federal poverty line ($25,750 family of 4) and a few other income levels comparing Dallas with the cities you'd like Dallas to become.
Anyway, even if you are rude, and your tone is generally patronizing I mostly agree with your points. Texas has been booming and some of the GOP policies have been a part of that.

Some musings though:

Long term I don't know if these policies will continue to work...lots of them seem to be short term. You can't continue to offer relocation packages indefinitely.

I also think just as it is dangerous to give the president too much credit or blame for the economy the same can be said of the Gov. Plenty of historical circumstances besides the R or D have lead to the boom of the Sunbelt and Texas.

At some point, you need to invest in education at all levels. And no, just throwing money at it alone won't fix it, look at New Jersey for an example, but just because adding more money alone won't fix out education system, devesting hurts it too.

I think you exaggerate how great Dallas is for the working poor. It sucks to be working poor anywhere, but Texas is a low service state and when you are poor having more services is usually better than having a little more money. If you gave me the choice between health care for my family or an extra 100 bucks a month I take the healthcare. It's hard to have low enough taxes to make up for not making enough pre tax income to begin with.

Finally, while it is true that people are moving here from NYC, SF, Portland, the cities you listed (besides Baltimore which is stagnating) are not dying. NYC has grown in the last decade. The Bay Area has grown as well and would have grown even more if they didn't have terrible NIMBY policies.

The point being, yeah people move here from there, but they are being replaced with other people who can pay the higher prices.

This has been an amazing last 10 years for almost all cities.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:07 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Not next year. Not 2020.

However, 2024 or 2028 is when it goes full purple-to-blue. And that's pretty saddening.

Texas being a red state is largely a big reason for it's success.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah no doubt, but it is a long way from "The Least diverse City of any Size."

Lots of people forget how lots of the country isn't all that diverse.
That's not what I said. Not even close. Well done on your part - as per usual.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:38 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Not next year. Not 2020.

However, 2024 or 2028 is when it goes full purple-to-blue. And that's pretty saddening.

Texas being a red state is largely a big reason for it's success.
I dont want to Texas to be a blue state but I also dont want it to be as red as it is now. Id love it to be purple.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:21 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
It doesn't have to go one extreme or the other. Going more purple is a perfectly fine and healthy option.

We have more than just two choices; one extreme or the other. People used to celebrate and gravitate towards the middle, and frowned at the edges. Getting back to that would really help more to see the big picture in whatever we're facing or discussing.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
That's not what I said. Not even close. Well done on your part - as per usual.
This is your litteral quote. You dont have to insult people, its ok to admit you mispoke.

Quote:
I, Portland (already likely the whitest city in The US of any size), .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas