Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 PM

25 posts, read 94,956 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Louisiana to the Beaumont / Orange Texas area for my wife's education. What are some of the safe areas to live in. We know practically nothing about the area other than the area right around her school. If anyone knows any good/safe apartment complexes in either city that info would be great.

We have heard that the west end of Beaumont is the safe side, but I have no idea if that is true.

She will be traveling between Orange and Beaumont quite a bit, so either city or anywhere in between is fair game.

From the stats here at City Data, Orange and Beaumont both have very high crime stats. Are their certain areas of town to avoid? It seems like Vidor is a much safer place just based on statistics, but the ariel maps of the place look very run down.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 AM

869 posts, read 2,956,759 times
I've got a couple of family members that have been in Beaumont just over a year. They looked at Vidor, Nederland, Lumberton...they finally chose...alright....are you ready for this...they actually moved to Beaumont. They live right at Major and 105, which is about as far west as you can get in Beaumont, and they feel very safe (except for the frogs...but that's more an annoyance than it is a safety issue)....

There are a couple of apartment complexes on Major, that I drive past when I go to their house, but I really can't tell you much about them...

I'll give them a call later on Monday to see if they have heard anything either way...plus she works in Nederland, so I might be able to get a little info on Nederland for you...

They liked Lumberton, but they both said there was a funny smell (there is a paper mill in Lumberton) and Vidor just didn't do anything for them...

I'll be back later...

Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM

327 posts, read 755,716 times
I'd pick an apartment somewhere in the West End. You should be fine there. The ones near the mall would be good. You're within walking distance from lots of things to do and places to eat.

I definitely wouldn't live anywhere near Lamar if that's where your wife is going for her education.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 PM

She is going to Lamar. I really didn't want to move to Orange. The area near the school does not seem to be particularly nice, clean, or safe. The Crime stats for Orange are really high too.

Where we are from the 'North Side' is the side of town you don't walk around after dark. What part of Beaumont would you not want to find yourself in at 3am? (don't say 'the whole city' )

Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM

I forgot to mention something. I was looking at some specific rentals in Beaumont near Rogers Park. I haven't had a chance to drive by them yet. The aerials of the area seem very nice: no tires, old cars or busted dishwashers in the front yards. If anyone knows anything about this area specifically, that would be a nice help. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 PM

869 posts, read 2,956,759 times
bpb, I haven't forgotten about trying to find some info on that area for you...

we're playing phone tag...

Old 04-22-2008, 11:22 PM

539 posts, read 1,805,781 times
If you're looking at aerials of apts. near Rogers park, I think that those are retirement apts.. You really don't want to live on Dowlen. Most people take a step up ( from the house they could afford) when renting an apt. [If the complex looks middle-class the actual renters are one step down.] Major Drive apts. are probably your best bet. I'm assuming that your wife is planning on attending Lamar-Orange not the main Beaumont campus. If she's going to the Bmt. campus- rent as far away from there as possible.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,126,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb2221 View Post
She will be traveling between Orange and Beaumont quite a bit, so either city or anywhere in between is fair game.

Little Cypress-Mauriceville, or, Bridge City.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
I would say if your daughter is going to lamar orange that the I10 trip to orange will be a busy commute. Bridge city would be much better or other surrounding area.There is alot of teaffic in the area with all the industrial expansion now days.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Her commute is two hours one way right now. So the commute from West Beaumont to Orange should be easy. She is going to the Orange Campus of Lamar. Plus, most of the clinicals will be in Beaumont. The classroom will be in Orange.
We were looking at some townhomes down the street from Rogers park (not next to it). But there were none available. The price was great too for the amenities.

We are currently looking at the northwest section of town near Dowlen, but we will start to look at the Major dr area too. They had some very nice ones on major in the north west area.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas