U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 02:05 PM

6,917 posts, read 9,445,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c450 View Post
Yup. If it’s a public school, I want my little ones to be zoned for that school.
That's a confusing statement. Are you saying if you live in McAllen you want your kids to go to a McAllen school? I mean, that's kind of a given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 04:27 PM

14 posts, read 4,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That's a confusing statement. Are you saying if you live in McAllen you want your kids to go to a McAllen school? I mean, that's kind of a given.
There is a lot of elementary schools in that area, but only the ones zoned for Gonzales can attend there.

Can anyone with actual experience provide their opinions?

Old 12-16-2019, 06:46 PM

6,917 posts, read 9,445,123 times
Quote:
There is a lot of elementary schools in that area, but only the ones zoned for Gonzales can attend there.

Can anyone with actual experience provide their opinions?
So you’re looking for input on neighborhoods that are zoned for Gonzales?

Old 12-16-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
So you’re looking for input on neighborhoods that are zoned for Gonzales?
How did you get out from the title of the thread?

Old 12-17-2019, 09:16 AM

7,648 posts, read 3,605,936 times
Well, you are kind of making us all guess what your question is.

It seems now that your question is "I'm expecting to move to McAllen, and want comparison of these elementary schools[list following]." It would have been easier for everyone if you had just put that in the first post.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:39 PM

I wonder how many Harry shimotsu elementary schools there are in the u.s.?

The title kind of gives it away. Why respond to a thread if you can’t comprehend the title?

Old 05-17-2020, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 2,186 times
Hi,

I don't know if you ever received an answer to your question but I can try to answer it as my family looked at the same schools when we moved here about 2 years ago. There is a lot to like about both schools and neighborhoods. We ended up going with Shimotsu mainly because we liked the neighborhood better.

I know that Gonzalez is one of the top-ranked elementary schools in Texas, as is Shimotsu. Both are frequently in the top 100 elementary schools, however, even though my children attend Shimotsu, I think Gonzalez is a better school. Gonzalez has a lot of programs that I really like there including more fine arts and music instruction, and a gardening classroom for the students. Obviously the gardening classroom is nothing to the level of schools in Austin ISD, but they at least have one.
Gonzalez also has one of the best public playgrounds in the McAllen area. It is a very exciting playground that is shaded by large live oak trees and has a padded play surface. We go there every now and then even though it is on the complete opposite side of the city from us.

The neighborhood around Gonzalez is pricey, especially for Valley standards! It is very difficult to find something in the mid 200s that doesn't need a ton of work. There are clean houses in good condition available at that price point, however, most of them like something out of the 1990s complete with wood paneling everywhere! If your budget is higher, then you can find homes that have been renovated.

As for Shimotsu, there is a lot that I really like about it and other things that I don't like. First of all, their teachers, principals, and support staff are wonderful. The principal knows most kids and their parents by name and makes an effort to meet them. They are some of the kindest teachers I've encountered. The teachers are all very experienced with many of them being with Shimotsu since they opened about 10 years ago.

Shimotsu is also very unique in that it is the only school in Sharyland ISD that doesn't have school buses. One of the things that I absolutely love about this school is that there is a large portion of students that arrive at school either by walking or riding their bikes. The neighborhood around Shimotsu is designed specifically for active transportation and there are wide sidewalks and bike trails all over the neighborhood. I also really liked the fact that BL Gray Middle school (7-8) is in the neighborhood also, and many kids walk or ride their bikes to it also. This was one of our biggest reasons for choosing this school over Gonzalez. There were also newer (the mid 2000s and newer) homes here in the mid-to-upper-200s than in area around Gonzalez.

Shimotsu also has a very exciting playground, especially for older kids. Their older kid playground challenging obstacle courses and plenty of monkey bars to climb on. They have a playground for smaller children (2nd and younger) which is fun, but not as fun as the older kid playground. Both playgrounds are shaded. Shimotsu is also unique in this as they are the only elementary school in Sharyland ISD that has a shaded playground. (Most of McAllen ISD's playgrounds are shaded) Unfortunately, the older children's playground at Shimotsu doesn't have a padded surface. They have tumbled rocks installed instead. The smaller children's playground has rubber mulch.

Shimotsu and Sharyland Plantation, in general, is incredibly diverse for Valley standards. There are plenty of people from all over the world that live in this neighborhood. Our school has several events throughout the year that celebrate the diversity of its students. I think that is one advantage that Shimotsu has over Gonzalez.

As for things that I don't like about Shimotsu, I personally think that they give the children too much homework. It isn't really anything substantive but appears to be busywork. Shimotsu is a school that prides themselves on their STAAR rating and they do everything possible to make sure that their students excel at the STAAR test. If your kids enjoy academics and don't mind doing school work, then they will probably enjoy Shimotsu. It is a very rigorous curriculum that is comparable to the curriculum at IDEA. However, if your children are more creative, then it may not be the best place for them. The reason for this is that they don't allow students to do much for music or art until about 3rd grade. From 3rd grade and above, the children are allowed to be in music or art classes.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:47 AM

20,867 posts, read 5,268,287 times
Quote:
Hi

I have an offer to move into the area. I know there are a ton of options, but I want my kids to attend the best elementary school possible with a diverse student body.

Can anyone please give me the pros and cons of both schools ?

We are not Hispanic.
In Texas you generally have to attend the public school your neighborhhood is zoned to.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexdude View Post
Hi,

I don't know if you ever received an answer to your question but I can try to answer it as my family looked at the same schools when we moved here about 2 years ago. There is a lot to like about both schools and neighborhoods. We ended up going with Shimotsu mainly because we liked the neighborhood better.

I know that Gonzalez is one of the top-ranked elementary schools in Texas, as is Shimotsu. Both are frequently in the top 100 elementary schools, however, even though my children attend Shimotsu, I think Gonzalez is a better school. Gonzalez has a lot of programs that I really like there including more fine arts and music instruction, and a gardening classroom for the students. Obviously the gardening classroom is nothing to the level of schools in Austin ISD, but they at least have one.
Gonzalez also has one of the best public playgrounds in the McAllen area. It is a very exciting playground that is shaded by large live oak trees and has a padded play surface. We go there every now and then even though it is on the complete opposite side of the city from us.

The neighborhood around Gonzalez is pricey, especially for Valley standards! It is very difficult to find something in the mid 200s that doesn't need a ton of work. There are clean houses in good condition available at that price point, however, most of them like something out of the 1990s complete with wood paneling everywhere! If your budget is higher, then you can find homes that have been renovated.

As for Shimotsu, there is a lot that I really like about it and other things that I don't like. First of all, their teachers, principals, and support staff are wonderful. The principal knows most kids and their parents by name and makes an effort to meet them. They are some of the kindest teachers I've encountered. The teachers are all very experienced with many of them being with Shimotsu since they opened about 10 years ago.

Shimotsu is also very unique in that it is the only school in Sharyland ISD that doesn't have school buses. One of the things that I absolutely love about this school is that there is a large portion of students that arrive at school either by walking or riding their bikes. The neighborhood around Shimotsu is designed specifically for active transportation and there are wide sidewalks and bike trails all over the neighborhood. I also really liked the fact that BL Gray Middle school (7-8) is in the neighborhood also, and many kids walk or ride their bikes to it also. This was one of our biggest reasons for choosing this school over Gonzalez. There were also newer (the mid 2000s and newer) homes here in the mid-to-upper-200s than in area around Gonzalez.

Shimotsu also has a very exciting playground, especially for older kids. Their older kid playground challenging obstacle courses and plenty of monkey bars to climb on. They have a playground for smaller children (2nd and younger) which is fun, but not as fun as the older kid playground. Both playgrounds are shaded. Shimotsu is also unique in this as they are the only elementary school in Sharyland ISD that has a shaded playground. (Most of McAllen ISD's playgrounds are shaded) Unfortunately, the older children's playground at Shimotsu doesn't have a padded surface. They have tumbled rocks installed instead. The smaller children's playground has rubber mulch.

Shimotsu and Sharyland Plantation, in general, is incredibly diverse for Valley standards. There are plenty of people from all over the world that live in this neighborhood. Our school has several events throughout the year that celebrate the diversity of its students. I think that is one advantage that Shimotsu has over Gonzalez.

As for things that I don't like about Shimotsu, I personally think that they give the children too much homework. It isn't really anything substantive but appears to be busywork. Shimotsu is a school that prides themselves on their STAAR rating and they do everything possible to make sure that their students excel at the STAAR test. If your kids enjoy academics and don't mind doing school work, then they will probably enjoy Shimotsu. It is a very rigorous curriculum that is comparable to the curriculum at IDEA. However, if your children are more creative, then it may not be the best place for them. The reason for this is that they don't allow students to do much for music or art until about 3rd grade. From 3rd grade and above, the children are allowed to be in music or art classes.

Great input. We chose Harry shimotsu .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas