Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More to gain
Houston 11 42.31%
Dallas 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 12:20 AM

202 posts, read 320,282 times

Advertisements

Which will gain more from a bullet train between cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 10:28 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
This is a great question. Honestly I can see both cities benefitting equally. If I were in Dallas I would come to Houston for special events like the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Astros games, a day trip to NASA or Galveston, the Museums, Jones Hall events.

From Houston I would go to Dallas for the Texas State Fair, Six Flags, NASCAR race in Fort Worth, other tourist attractions.

I can’t imagine anyone commuting for work, not as long as both cities’ economies are doing well.

I think your poll needs a third option! Neither will gain more. Both will win!

Old 12-29-2019, 11:25 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
This is a great question. Honestly I can see both cities benefitting equally. If I were in Dallas I would come to Houston for special events like the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Astros games, a day trip to NASA or Galveston, the Museums, Jones Hall events.

From Houston I would go to Dallas for the Texas State Fair, Six Flags, NASCAR race in Fort Worth, other tourist attractions.

I can’t imagine anyone commuting for work, not as long as both cities’ economies are doing well.

I agree. I think they will benefit both cities a bit differently, but more or less equally.

In Dallas, the HSR station and the development around it will add to downtown area growth, as well as tie into the DART rail system relatively seamlessly. It will serve as another catalyst to an area that's been picking up steam in the recent decades and make the city of Dallas more competitive with regional suburbs, as well as with places like Chicago and Atlanta.

In Houston, the HSR station will serve as a catalyst to revitalize the area around the old Northwest Mall as well as serve as a new multimodal transit hub for BRT, bus, and potentially the Hempstead Highway commuter rail project. HSR users will be able to easily access most of Houston's major business districts including Downtown, Uptown, and the Energy Corridor as the location is central to all three areas.

Two different approaches to the station, but I believe both will be successful implementations in the long run. Dallas will see more direct benefit to its CBD than the business areas further north, whereas the location in Houston will benefit the westside business districts like Uptown and the Energy corridor more directly.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:44 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
I'm not as familiar with Houston, so my answer is likely biased, but I'd vote Dallas simply because of the location of the HSR station. Having the station so close to Downtown, and closely connected to the central hub of the DART network will have tremendous benefits to the city, IMO.

It helps that the Cedars (and most of South Dallas) is just ripe for some serious re-development as well.

Both are already rapidly growing cities and this will really take them to the next level so while I do think Dallas will benefit more, I think they will both see some serious growth as a result.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:50 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
Win-win for both.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Houstonians will be able to hop on a train to Dallas when major hurricanes hit instead of fighting traffic to get out of town. Not bad.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Houstonians will be able to hop on a train to Dallas when major hurricanes hit instead of fighting traffic to get out of town. Not bad.
Yea, but then you would be stuck in Dallas. I think I'd rather evacuate towards the hurricane....

Old 12-30-2019, 12:57 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Meanwhile while we're deciding this, can ya'll swing one over to Austin and San Antonio too? I would richly love to not have to drive I-35 or U.S. 290 on my frequent travels to either metro.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:22 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Meanwhile while we're deciding this, can ya'll swing one over to Austin and San Antonio too? I would richly love to not have to drive I-35 or U.S. 290 on my frequent travels to either metro.

Yeah, but we need to get this one 1st. I'm afraid the Politics and NIMBYs to go to ATX and SATX would be even worse than between Dallas and Houston.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

The train wouldn’t help you much with the old NASA /Galveston bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas