Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 05:05 AM

179 posts, read 357,184 times

Advertisements

It seems that everywhere we go in North Texas now there is a toll road. And in some cases, construction projects to expand current freeways that are only 2 lanes have been replaced with projects to introduce toll lanes and keep the 2 lanes "as is". In the past, the only real toll lanes were in certain areas of Dallas and were only a mere $0.45 or even less during peak times. Now with the 820/121/183 and now 35W toll (express) lanes, it is not uncommon to see charges around $13.00 or more per "toll booth" or in the case in North Texas, "toll camera". These rate "are based upon real time traffic conditions" and seem to be super high to the point where a simple commute can cost almost $50 one way... PER DAY!

These prices are insanely high and unfortunately if you plan to get anywhere in a semi decent time, you almost have to use the toll roads. And in most cases, even those are getting backed up due to increased traffic of semi trucks.. which I find annoying to say the least. I have completely stopped using the tolls altogether and now just suffer through an hour and a half commute one way.

Who else has opinions on the NTTA or any local tolls that you may have in your city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 07:12 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,054 times
I’ve never seen $13 per station. I just went and checked my NTTA account and the most expensive one was $1.41 at Coit/PGBT. The most expensive total drive was under $10 and that was from Plano to DFW

Old 01-09-2020, 07:27 AM

197 posts, read 229,152 times
Those TEXpress Lanes are not NTTA toll roads, though I believe NTTA is responsible for billing on all DFW-area toll roads.

But yes, the TEXpress lanes are quite expensive, but not as expensive as the OP seems to suggest. Still they are pretty much “Lexus Lanes” by any definition. I never seen toll rates as high as $13 per toll gantry (for your standard 2-axle vehicle) though. If the cost was as high as $50 per trip for a standard 2-axle vehicle I don’t think even people living in the Park Cities would be using those lanes with any frequency (that would be as much as $500/week in tolls or $26,000/year).

Old 01-09-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
I’ve never seen $13 per station. I just went and checked my NTTA account and the most expensive one was $1.41 at Coit/PGBT. The most expensive total drive was under $10 and that was from Plano to DFW
The tolls going East from the airport are affordable and I have no problems with them. Those are NTTA toll tags... The ones I was referring to are the ones by TEXpress which are west of DFW airport. The 820 interchange varies based upon traffic and times.. my highest charge was $13.74 at 5:45PM. Anything west is owned by a different company and they raise their rates so high it sucks.

I wish the TEXpress lanes followed what the PGBT and all the ones near Dallas do. They usually have straight rates and the most I've paid on those is $1.55 or so.

820/ 121/183 and now 35W (ALL west of DFW airport) charge insane rates that vary. I would understand paying maybe $2-3 during rush hour, but upwards of $13 per booth is insane. Especially since I commute to Grapevine from the Azle area. I hit basically every singe booth on my way. If I don't use the toll, It can take almost 2 hours to get commute.. (ONE WAY).

If you live East of DFW airport, you are fine. West of the airport is highway robbery.. literally. LOL

Old 01-09-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlx View Post
Those TEXpress Lanes are not NTTA toll roads, though I believe NTTA is responsible for billing on all DFW-area toll roads.

But yes, the TEXpress lanes are quite expensive, but not as expensive as the OP seems to suggest. Still they are pretty much “Lexus Lanes” by any definition. I never seen toll rates as high as $13 per toll gantry (for your standard 2-axle vehicle) though. If the cost was as high as $50 per trip for a standard 2-axle vehicle I don’t think even people living in the Park Cities would be using those lanes with any frequency (that would be as much as $500/week in tolls or $26,000/year).
Of course my $50 a day is an estimate under worst case situations. For instance, my trip the other day cost me around that.

I commuted in the morning around 7:54AM and got charged $9.74 and $9.19 which was $18.93 just for my AM commute. PM going home was around 5:30PM and I got hit with $11.16... $11 and $10.75 as I stayed on longer and which brought my total for that day to $51.84.. These are all what show up on my toll charges invoice as they bill me. It gives locations and times. Now I don't use this every day obviously but I try to use it if I'm in a hurry and the regular lanes are to a stand still (Which is often at the times I commute)..

Some days the charges are minimal.. This morning at 4:30AM for instance was $0.98 each toll area.. as it usually is if I am having to be at work super early around that time.

All in all I wish the charges were lower like the ones near Dallas.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:12 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantx View Post
The tolls going East from the airport are affordable and I have no problems with them. Those are NTTA toll tags... The ones I was referring to are the ones by TEXpress which are west of DFW airport. The 820 interchange varies based upon traffic and times.. my highest charge was $13.74 at 5:45PM. Anything west is owned by a different company and they raise their rates so high it sucks.

I wish the TEXpress lanes followed what the PGBT and all the ones near Dallas do. They usually have straight rates and the most I've paid on those is $1.55 or so.

820/ 121/183 and now 35W (ALL west of DFW airport) charge insane rates that vary. I would understand paying maybe $2-3 during rush hour, but upwards of $13 per booth is insane. Especially since I commute to Grapevine from the Azle area. I hit basically every singe booth on my way. If I don't use the toll, It can take almost 2 hours to get commute.. (ONE WAY).

If you live East of DFW airport, you are fine. West of the airport is highway robbery.. literally. LOL
Simple solution. Live closer to work.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
Simple solution. Live closer to work.
Such a simple solution that is not always possible, especially with how fast home prices have risen in relation to wages. Kind of weird to me that the side with more money (Dallas) have lower toll fees.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:39 PM

197 posts, read 229,152 times
I think it is the privately-operated express toll lanes (820/183 west of Euless and 35W, plus the LBJ Express on 635 and 35E south of 635) that charge the most to my understanding. The TxDOT-managed express lanes seem more reasonably-priced (183 from Euless eastwards/114/I-30/I-35E north of 635).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas