Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 11:21 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times

Advertisements

This article is about Houston but could have been about Dallas or Austin. This is why I posted it in the General Forum.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/ho...rtation-costs/

I think it is pretty interesting. I'm not sure if Houston/Dallas/Austin are indeed less affordable than NYC, but all things considered, I think they are actually pretty close.

Of course, for individuals that may not be true, but I'm speaking in generalities.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 11:42 AM

2,495 posts, read 867,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
This article is about Houston but could have been about Dallas or Austin. This is why I posted it in the General Forum.

I think it is pretty interesting. I'm not sure if Houston/Dallas/Austin are indeed less affordable than NYC, but all things considered, I think they are actually pretty close.

Of course, for individuals that may not be true, but I'm speaking in generalities.

Thoughts?
The TM author has banal, overreaching writing skills.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:40 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
False comparison. That median $1750/mo housing cost in NYC gets you a shared flat or maybe a crummy two room apartment in a crummy area, whereas that $1379/mo housing cost in Houston probably gets you the PITI on a 3 bedroom 2 bath single family detached house with a two car garage in a middle-class (not fancy neighborhood).

An honest comparison would compare the costs of living in a 1800 sq. ft. single family detached house with two car garage in NYC vs. that in Houston, and would compare the costs of living in a two room apartment as well.

Everyone knows that the daily standard of housing amenities takes a huge hit when you move to a place like San Francisco, NYC, Boston. You don't move to those places for nice housing.

It's like saying lunch at the Four Seasons is just as affordable as lunch at Applebees. Yes, if your Four Seasons lunch consists of a small salad and a glass of water, and your Applebees lunch consists of two appetizers, a sirloin steak, a big dessert, a cocktail before the meal, four glasses of beer during the meal, and two more drinks after, plus a 30% tip for your server.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
False comparison
LOL. In another post in the Dallas forum, you just said you'd buy a smaller, older home in north Dallas that is equally expensive to a larger one in a better, cheaper area (Frisco), while the smaller North Dallas one is in an area that is so much worse you basically have to pay for private schooling (Frisco public schools are pretty good) and the North Dallas area conveys no benefits over Frisco beyond being a bit closer to some more jobs.

The irony is hilarious.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:11 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, no, I didn't say Dallas is more affordable than Frisco (it isn't, not for the same thing).

In fact, if you actually read both my posts you'll see that I am completely consistent. If you choose to pay the same in New York City and Houston, you'll get a much bigger nicer house in Houston. Is that important, or are other aspects of NYC living important to you? Same thing with a smaller spread in N. Dallas vs. Frisco. In N. Dallas for the same money you get the benefits of living in the city rather than an exurb; and you have a smaller older house and you have to use private schools. My choice would be for N. Dallas not Frisco.

So, the "irony" (I think you meant to say "inconsistency" or "self-contradiction") you're hoping to find isn't there.

Texas Monthly didn't write an article about why a lot of people prefer to live in NYC rather than Houston, or vice versa. They wrote an article claiming that "Houston cost of living is less affordable than NYC".

Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Yeah this article has already been debunked in the General U.S. section by New Yorkers. TM was really reaching with this article. Basically living in a car centric city such as Houston is not as inexpensive as people would like for you to believe once factoring in car expenses but in no shape form or fashion is it less affordable than NYC.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:45 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...-cars-11853601

This is another one, but for DFW.

Campbell doesn't think it's fair to compare DART, which was established in the 1980s, with transportation systems in other cities. "If you come here expecting the mass transit in Washington, D.C., you’re going to be disappointed. But if you’re like me — a lifelong Texan — you look at DART and you see the promise of the future."

The above quote stood out as stupid to me because the DC metro was actually only built in the 70s. The Chinese are building metros today. Good metros are not only built in the 1st half of the 20th century...

Old 01-24-2020, 12:02 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...-cars-11853601

This is another one, but for DFW.

Campbell doesn't think it's fair to compare DART, which was established in the 1980s, with transportation systems in other cities. "If you come here expecting the mass transit in Washington, D.C., you’re going to be disappointed. But if you’re like me — a lifelong Texan — you look at DART and you see the promise of the future."

The above quote stood out as stupid to me because the DC metro was actually only built in the 70s. The Chinese are building metros today. Good metros are not only built in the 1st half of the 20th century...
Yeah he sounds real ass backwards and outdated. Instead of the continuation of building cities for cars we should be building cities for people and incorporate more walking and biking.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:27 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,520 times
DART was established in 1983. Its first rail leg opened in 1996.

WMATA was established in 1967. Its first rail leg opened in 1976. It was conceived as a futurist showpiece.

A lot happens with access to funding in that time. Dallas should be grateful that, like WMATA, its rail serves two airports. Not many cities have that option.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:32 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
LOL. In another post in the Dallas forum, you just said you'd buy a smaller, older home in north Dallas that is equally expensive to a larger one in a better, cheaper area (Frisco), while the smaller North Dallas one is in an area that is so much worse you basically have to pay for private schooling (Frisco public schools are pretty good) and the North Dallas area conveys no benefits over Frisco beyond being a bit closer to some more jobs.

The irony is hilarious.
Um. No offense but there is a TREMENDOUS difference between the kind of house you get even in N.Dallas vs the average house in NYC for the same dollar.

Anyways.

I will say that there kind of are hidden fees with traveling in Texas if you account for all the toll roads but those are every bit as present in NYC too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas