Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 08:41 AM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times

Advertisements

If you had to move to another city in Texas, where would it be? For me probably Tyler because it's not too big, has everything I need and a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 09:58 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Live in Dallas County. If you want to count Fort Worth as "Another City" (which it is, but same metro) that would be my first pick.

I really like Fort Worth proper there are some neat neighborhoods.

After that, Houston, San Antonio and Austin, in that order.

I like Houston quite a bit. San Antonio has a really cool vibe.

Austin would most likely offer the most job opportunities, maybe even better than DFW, but I just don't like the city enough. It is fun to visit, but It's expensive for what you get...and over-sized Madison that isn't as cool as a Portland at Dallas prices and with Houston traffic. It isn't nearly as gaga pretty as people say...It's only really pretty compared to DFW and Houston and allergies are awful.

I don't hate Austin, but I just don't think it is a good value unless you have a very high paying job. For the right price it could be a good place to live.

I've never been to El Paso, but it might take 3rd place over San Antonio and Austin based on what I know about it. The Mountains and proximity to Mexico are both very appealing to me. I don't know what sorts of opportunities there would be in SaaS. Just based on pictures El Paso seems to be easily the most scenic city in Texas.

I also like Tyler pretty well, but I would be concerned about finding a job there.

Pretty much anything smaller than that is a no go.

For Small towns I love Glen Rose a lot. If I stay long enough term I could see myself getting a vacation home around there.

Fredericksburg is a great place to visit, but not a good place to live based on the people I know from there. It's just such a tourist trap and the opportunities don't match the cost. Prob a good place to retire.

Corpus might be cool. Again same problem with jobs in my field.

Galveston would also be fun, It's a fun dirty little city and I mean that in the best way possible.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:26 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Live in Houston now but if I had to choose another city it would be Dallas or Austin. Grew up in small city Texas and as an Adult just can’t do it!

Old 01-25-2020, 10:31 AM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Man, I am torn. There are things I like in every metro, and you’d catch me picking a different place on a different day. Today, as I find myself in a drizzly Ohio, I think El Paso would be the spot. All the Hispanic culture I want, plus as I think I am a desert Southwest person at heart, might as well be at a gateway to it.

I wouldn’t consider anything outside those major metros. I live in Tyler now and it’s inadequate. We are moving this summer, albeit there are other reasons for that too.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I live in Tyler and I absolutely love it (not a native either, for the record). It has a lot of amenities and it is also not far from Dallas - I wouldn't want to live in the Dallas metro area (or any large metro area with lots of congestion and traffic) but I like that other people choose to live there and it's convenient for me occasionally.

If I had to choose another city to live in it would probably be either Dripping Springs or Wimberley. Both small towns close to Austin but not IN Austin. We do have two sons who live and work in Austin but still...omg, the traffic. The congestion. I can't deal with it.

We actually considered moving to both and looked at real estate and did market research and all that. In the end, we stayed where we are and I'm happy about it but there are just so many great cities and towns across Texas.

We also considered outside of Fort Worth pretty seriously. I do love me some Fort Worth.

One thing that would be a must for me would be close proximity to a large metro area. Also, water issues - I don't want any of those.

I will say that though my husband works in the Midland area, there's no way we'd move there. He drives back and forth (gone two weeks, home two weeks). Due to the nature of his job, we had literally the whole world to choose from as long as there was a good airport nearby, and we did consider some other states (didn't consider any other countries) and went and visited numerous states which was a great excuse for traveling. But in the end, we came right back to the Tyler area.

I've lived here for over 25 years.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:59 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I will say that though my husband works in the Midland area, there's no way we'd move there. He drives back and forth (gone two weeks, home two weeks).
If I worked in in the Permian Basin I would likely do the same. It's expensive for an ugly place with high crime and an absurd amount of traffic fatalities. A ton of people on drugs, and not the fun kinds.

No offence meant to anyone who works or lives out there.

The Texas Monthly Podcast "Boomtown" is super interesting, and no doubt the area is "Interesting" in it's own way. Booms and busts tend to do that. Still wouldn't want to live there.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
If I worked in in the Permian Basin I would likely do the same. It's expensive for an ugly place with high crime and an absurd amount of traffic fatalities. A ton of people on drugs, and not the fun kinds.

The Texas Monthly Podcast "Boomtown" is super interesting, and no doubt the area is "Interesting" in it's own way. Booms and busts tend to do that. Still wouldn't want to live there.
ya your right Midland/Odessa is pretty bad.I dont like living in the Basin.Dont worry no offence was taken because i dont like it either lol.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

Right, there is NO WAY we would ever move there. No way in hell.

My husband thankfully works with a good group of people who aren't partiers. They also work 12-14 hours a day, all day every day for two weeks, and then they come home to their families and don't work at all for two weeks. Not a bad gig if you can get it. But he HATES driving out there. The roads are terrible, the traffic is terrible - in part because of construction but also because of the number of wrecks out there. He goes through tires like water. It's crazy.

But hey, it's good money and it's temporary so there's that.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:14 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
Lightbulb I am a Native Texan to the core....

I have lived in most of the large cities...except Houston..it just never happened...born and grew up..in El Paso,,,went to school and did a little teaching in Austin..lived in Fort Worth..when I was in the Air Force...at Carswell AFB..now I hear it is joint reserve..lived in San Antonio..when I while my father went to training and did his Air Force stint at Kelly..also my had AF basic training there..lived in Dallas..where I taught many years and finished my teaching..career...really loved the DFW area...but i felt I was being squeezed out of there..from all the transplants moving...there...felt like that part of Texas was no longer mine..so left in 2016..to move back where it all started..in ELP..not too bad hear..cheaper than DFW and get the best of both worlds living in the border..but a day never goes by that I long for DFW..Kroger, Waffle house..too many places to name..

Old 01-25-2020, 09:07 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
If I had to move to another Texas city it would be a smaller city fairly close to a big one. Tyler would certainly fit the bill. I hate big city traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas