Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 10:36 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDivine View Post
IMO it makes no sense for a small and exclusive boarding undergrad school to loose what makes them unique and successful for the sake of expansion. Most Texas schools are already XXL, which may or may not be a good fit for all students.

How do Rice students do in post graduate and professional school admissions? Are they at a disadvantage?
If anything there will be an advantage because they are used to more rigor. Employers know that. Admissions counselors for professional schools know that. Rice is typically considered (and ranked) as the top university in the Southwest meaning tops in Texas and adjacent states until you get to California. Like somebody said earlier, UT and A&M have some of the brightest students in the nation, but since they are gargantuan they also have a lot of average students who can just coast through some of the easier programs. That doesn't happen at all at Rice. Employers and Admissions counselors know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 12:11 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Rice is not really regarded as an 'Ivy equivalent' though due to its small size and relatively small reach. I'm not saying that Rice grads aren't great or Rice's reputation isn't great but it's not that class either. Also UT & A&M don't really have 'average' students 'coasting through', as admissions requirements into the main schools are too high for that. Tx Tech, UNT, UofH, UT Southwestern, etc - that's where 'average' students go.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Average students go to UT Southwestern? Are you kidding me? Perhaps you've confused it with Southwestern University in Georgetown.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 PM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
I think if you bring in Rice, you also have to bring in tuition as a factor. Excluding scholarships, Rice is at $65K, UT is at $26K, and A&M is at $29K. (Going with estimates from same site that include room and boards, texts, etc.) You are going to have that same difference really with most public v private schools. So, if cost is a concern, I'd include looking at scholarships, etc. at each school and making that a contributing factor.

Also, UT & Rice are in urban areas, A&M is less so. Although they consider the Bryan College Station metro area at 256K people, you go just a few miles in any direction and you get into a much less populated area. Austin is up near a million people and Houston is more than double that.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:10 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
Average students go to UT Southwestern?
Yes, I don't mean the hospital chain, I mean the university in San Marcos with close to 40,000 students. TSU.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:45 PM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yes, I don't mean the hospital chain, I mean the university in San Marcos with close to 40,000 students. TSU.
It was previously Southwest Texas State. Never Southwestern. Changed in 2003 to Texas State University - San Marcos and then in 2013 just to Texas State University. I never know what to call it because when I was there it was just referred to as 'Southwest'.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Rice is not really regarded as an 'Ivy equivalent' though due to its small size and relatively small reach. I'm not saying that Rice grads aren't great or Rice's reputation isn't great but it's not that class either. Also UT & A&M don't really have 'average' students 'coasting through', as admissions requirements into the main schools are too high for that. Tx Tech, UNT, UofH, UT Southwestern, etc - that's where 'average' students go.
Ummm not so sure about a lot of this except Rice not being Ivy equivalent. Obviously if you are a horn or aggie engineering or physics student you aren't coasting, but there are other programs outside of math and science that may not be as demanding. Anyway...

Old 02-20-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
My brother went to UT Southwestern. He went to a no-name commuter school for undergrad but he also happened to be above average.

I just walked around Texas State last Sunday. Scoping out San Marcos for future employment opportunities. It's definitely not an elite university, but you can still do quite well with a degree from there. Plus quality of life in San Marcos far surpasses either Austin or College Station.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:11 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:

Average students go to Baylor, T.C.U and S.M.U. as well. Sure, some THINK more highly of Baylor or T.C.U. partly because they have had and or having success in Power Five sports.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Plus quality of life in San Marcos far surpasses either Austin or College Station.
Ummm....whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas