Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 01:32 PM

99 posts, read 50,025 times

Advertisements

1. Which Texas college is most selective? UT, TAMU or UNT?

2. Which college has highest graduation rate?

3. Which college graduates earn highest average salary?

4. Which college is best known outside Texas?

5. What GPA and SAT is required to get admitted there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 04:36 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDivine View Post

Answers in order:.......FWIIW I have a degree from UT and have taught at A&M.

1. Technically UT is the most selective.
2. Don't care/no opinion.
3. In aggregate A&M grads have the best earnings metrics and by a good bit.
4. UT is the best known and best regarded outside TX. A&M is fairly close behind. In a world in which most people with an opinion along these lines don't know what they are talking about this does not matter either.
5. Impossible to answer in short order. Both UT and A&M have automatic admissions rules per GPA/percentile rankings on one hand on the other both have exceptional math, life science, engineering etc. programs that are competitive admissions only and brutally selective.

FWIIW I don't know enough about UNT to comment.

UT
https://admissions.utexas.edu/apply/freshman-admission

TAMU
https://www.tamu.edu/admissions/index.html

Old 02-15-2020, 04:52 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Quote:

Now seriously, I'm trying to be civil, if I can't be NICEY. What made you put UNT in with those two? Surely YOU know enough as to why I'm asking, really making a statement.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Answers in order:.......FWIIW I have a degree from UT and have taught at A&M.

1. Technically UT is the most selective.
2. Don't care/no opinion.
3. In aggregate A&M grads have the best earnings metrics and by a good bit.
4. UT is the best known and best regarded outside TX. A&M is fairly close behind. In a world in which most people with an opinion along these lines don't know what they are talking about this does not matter either.
5. Impossible to answer in short order. Both UT and A&M have automatic admissions rules per GPA/percentile rankings on one hand on the other both have exceptional math, life science, engineering etc. programs that are competitive admissions only and brutally selective.

FWIIW I don't know enough about UNT to comment.

UT
https://admissions.utexas.edu/apply/freshman-admission

TAMU
https://www.tamu.edu/admissions/index.html
Thanks man! As an UT alumnus and A&M professor, what differences did you notice between two schools?

Old 02-15-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Now seriously, I'm trying to be civil, if I can't be NICEY. What made you put UNT in with those two? Surely YOU know enough as to why I'm asking, really making a statement.
Brain fart. UTD not UNT.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:52 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Thanks man! As an UT alumnus and A&M professor, what differences did you notice between two schools?
Just to be clear I am not currently on the Aggie payroll.

Different cities, very different vibes. IMO deciding between the two should come down to what program does a student want to study and which of the the two schools is better in that field.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just to be clear I am not currently on the Aggie payroll.

Different cities, very different vibes. IMO deciding between the two should come down to what program does a student want to study and which of the the two schools is better in that field.
There is no definite plan yet, interested in creative writing, maths and politics.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Do you have a high school counselor who can look at your academic record and guide you where you could be accepted, as a starting plan? If you're in the top 6% of your high school class for UT, or the top 10% of your high school class for A&M?

Otherwise, have you done something outstanding that would make the admissions department consider you as a freshman?

Old 02-16-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you have a high school counselor who can look at your academic record and guide you where you could be accepted, as a starting plan? If you're in the top 6% of your high school class for UT, or the top 10% of your high school class for A&M?

Otherwise, have you done something outstanding that would make the admissions department consider you as a freshman?
My son is a junior with 2% class rank, 35 ACT, competes at state level in swimming & maths, writes for school paper. His school counselor assured us about automatic admission to every Texas school if he keeps his grades. He is leaning towards UT for now but may apply to some hot shot schools his friends are applying to. His counselor advised against counting on any of those as a sure thing, not even Rice.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Well that's good news - I'm surprised you asked question #5 since you already have the answer though. He will have automatic admission to any public school in Texas if he continues to hold that class rank.

If he's greatly concerned with #3, making the most money, he should think about other majors than math, political science and creative writing. Those rank toward the bottom of the pay scale, (unless he plans to get a law degree after his poli sci degree) even if he goes to a school where other majors make a lot of money.

Has he taken the SAT yet? That used to be required for admission to UT, whether you have automatic admission by class rank or not - they still required an SAT score. I'm not 100% sure that's still true.

Is he doing any of this research himself - I would caution against leading this process as opposed to reminding him of deadlines and allowing him to take leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas