Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 510 times

Advertisements

My friend offered a room to me in his house just before the new year, right after Christmas 2019. No lease agreement or anything. Since then I've renewed my Texas ID and found a job. I've offered money to help out financially but he's refused to take it. I do more of the chores around the house than he does (mow the lawn, dishes, cleaning, etc.) He gets mad if he sees something on the floor because I haven't picked it up yet. If there is anything it a crumb from chips or something. I always clean up after myself, always. I was my dishes immediately after using them including when I cook and wash his as well, always. He now decided to evict me for no real reason and it's aggravating cause I've got nowhere to go at the moment and do not have the money to get my own place. Legally, how long does he have to give me to be out? He told me this evening that tomorrow is my last day. Can he do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 06:26 AM

99 posts, read 50,074 times
Even if there is a law which can be used to force hosts into never ending hospitality, it would be a low point in human history if you used it against someone who helped you.

Last edited by DDivine; 02-18-2020 at 07:17 AM..

Old 02-18-2020, 08:14 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeninja80 View Post
My friend offered a room to me in his house just before the new year, right after Christmas 2019. No lease agreement or anything. Since then I've renewed my Texas ID and found a job. I've offered money to help out financially but he's refused to take it. I do more of the chores around the house than he does (mow the lawn, dishes, cleaning, etc.) He gets mad if he sees something on the floor because I haven't picked it up yet. If there is anything it a crumb from chips or something. I always clean up after myself, always. I was my dishes immediately after using them including when I cook and wash his as well, always. He now decided to evict me for no real reason and it's aggravating cause I've got nowhere to go at the moment and do not have the money to get my own place. Legally, how long does he have to give me to be out? He told me this evening that tomorrow is my last day. Can he do that?
Technically, if it is established as your place of residence (i.e. you have been sleeping there and keeping stuff there), then he has to formally evict you. There is no money parameter involved in establishing residency, so the fact that you are not charge rent is immaterial.

More practically, ask him to give you 30-days and tell him you won't cause a fuss.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Tell him thank you for kindly letting you stay there as long as you did and get your sh*t and get the hell out. You say you have a job, so you should be able to pay for a room by the week at those motels that do that sort of thing. I don't feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for him for thinking you can be nice to a person, you just really can't. I mean, talk about biting the hand that feeds you, you're a classic example.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:43 PM

99 posts, read 50,074 times
What solutions Texas has to help out people like our primary poster who are in a desperate situation? Are there shelters for sudden but temporary homeless or do they have to do it on their own? He is single and young, can spend his income on a cheap motel, sleep on a bench and be a day laborer to earn extra but it can be difficult if he was ill, was female or had a kid.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:57 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Where in Texas are you OP? Have you sought out social services for housing assistance?

Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
If the OP ever returns to this thread, I'll compose a thoughtful response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: