Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit View Post
Considering that :

- i'm gay
- i'm an anti-NRA activist
- i'm a anti-death penalty activist
- i'm an anti-republican activist
- i'm a kyoto-protocol activist

what's the best place for me to live in Texas??
Well, LL, I assume you found the answer since, subsequently you listed two Texas cities, on another thread, as the best places to live in the U.S! I admit, of course, it makes me kinda wonder if you intended the original "question" in a first or third person sense. Or...perhaps just attempting to be a little provocative...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
Unless your considering suicide and want to go out on a cause, stay away for your own good.

Anyone slightly liberal, gay, or not republican, keeps a low profile here.....really, not kidding.

Remember, this is state who brought you: "The Decider" (George-much worse-than-we-thought- Bush)

If you want to have your life ruined, go to Austin but it is expensive and discovered a long time ago......say 1994.
Hmmmm....

I have to wonder, if Texas is REALLY this horrid netherworld, then why are YOU still here?

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-12-2008 at 05:18 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
"as long as you don't try to impose your values/ideology upon them"

This is exactly what he would do as he says he's an activist.
Absolutely right, LoveRoses!!!

When someone makes a self-particular POINT to describe themselves as being an "activist" then by very definition they intend to advance a certain social/political agenda. Whether or not the particulars offends local community standards matters very little to this way of thinking!

As to those who would split hairs over the term "activist" being synonymous with being "in your face"? Well, I can put the original qualifications in reverse...of sorts.

For instance (although Texans/Southerners usually don't do this) what if "I" were to post on a West Coast or NE site, that I am a Texan/Southerner seeking to relocate to the above and that:

- I'm am a white, straight, male
- Proud native Son of the Great Southern State, the Former Republic of Texas
- I am a pro-Second Amendment activist
- I am a pro-capital punishment activist
- I am a paleo-conservative activist
- I sincerely believe the biggest constibutor to Global Warming is algores breath...

I TRULY dare say I would be quicker run out of "town" as someone being "in (your) face" -- by virtue of being a self-described activist -- in THEIR neck of the woods -- than they would in ours!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM

303 posts, read 846,184 times
I am on the same side politically as the person who started this thread, though I am not an activist and I am pro-gay rights but not gay myself, and I am still here because there are very few jobs available outside the state. However, I will be leaving soon to move to Kansas City, Missouri. MO is probably the only other state that is not in the toilet right now.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,330 times
I grew up in West Virginia in a working class neighborhood that was about 50-50 republicans and democrats, but most West Virginians tend to be a bit more conservative than liberal. I consider myself more liberal and moved to Houston, near Montrose, and HATED it. I got out of the state as quickly as I could...don't get me wrong, the people were, for the most part, very nice, but I could only take so much conservative talk on a daily basis (there were other factors as to why I got out of the state quickly, too...hated the traffic, hated the heat and humidity, missed my friends and family, no mountains, no beautiful beaches, etc.). If you are an "activist," stay away from Texas.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I TRULY dare say I would be quicker run out of "town"
Yes Sir you would be. In Seattle you may of even had to fight for your life a few times. But I love the idea of listing a few facts about ourselves that way.

My Activist Profile ( quick TexasReb start a new thread for our Activist profiles heh heh )

-I am a White , Straight Male,
-I am a Proud Native Texan
-I support the Second Amendment
-I Support the Death Penalty
-I believe a women has a right to choose
-I am a Purple People Activist. Meaning Independent.
-I too believe that Al Gore is full of hot air
-I am anti gay, not because a church says its wrong, but because mother nature says its wrong unless its two women.

To the OP, there is nothing I can add that has not been said already about your question. Good luck.. hope you find your place.

Last edited by Muhnay; 07-02-2008 at 01:46 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
Default Rockport is a safe open minded place

Because Rockport's wildlife, art and ocean character it draws people from all over and isn't composed solely of dumb rednecks. There are many educated and environmentally aware GOP voters here. Its really odd to go to a meeting dominated by the GOP and see how almost all of them are almost radical when it comes to environment.

I've lived all over Texas - El Paso ( in many ways a nice city) DFW, Odessa, Raymondville, Cuero, Huntsville and more. Rockport is pretty, safe, especially friendly and in all my fav!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Reb, I loved the one about Al Gore's breath being the biggest contributor to global warming. Had a good laugh...I've got to tell my sister that one. She's very against all this global warming controversy and in fact has been on the global cooling bandwagon. Does all kinds of research and reads tons of articles, and loves to get into arguments with my liberal stepdad who thinks Al Gore's global warming rhetoric is gospel.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 62,244 times
please don't move to texas

Old 07-14-2008, 08:48 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Montrose area of Houston, Central Austin, or the Oak Lawn or Oak Cliff areas of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas